Catch the Wind
|"Catch the Wind"|
|Single by Donovan|
|from the album What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid|
|B-side||"Why Do You Treat Me Like You Do?"|
|Released||March 12, 1965 (UK)
|Length||2:21 (Side A)
2:57 (Side B)
|Label||Pye 7N15801 (UK)
Hickory 45-1309 (US)
|Producer(s)||Terry Kennedy, Peter Eden, Geoff Stephens|
|Donovan singles chronology|
"Catch the Wind" is a song written and recorded by British singer-songwriter Donovan. It was released as a single in the United Kingdom on March 12, 1965 through Pye Records (Pye 7N 15801) and a few months later in the United States through Hickory Records (Hickory 45-1309). The single was backed with "Why Do You Treat Me Like You Do?" on both the United Kingdom and United States releases.
"Catch the Wind" was the first release by Donovan. It reached No.4 in the United Kingdom singles chart and No.23 in the United States Billboard Hot 100. The single version featured Donovan's vocals with echo and a string section. The song was re-recorded for Donovan's first album What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid without the vocal echo and strings.
When Epic Records was compiling Donovan's Greatest Hits, they were either unable or unwilling to secure the rights to the original recordings of "Catch the Wind" and "Colours". Donovan re-recorded both songs with a full backing band, and the re-recordings were included on the greatest hits album.
- In 1985, the TV show Miami Vice used the song at the beginning of the episode "Golden Triangle (Part II)".
- In 1989, the TV show, The Wonder Years used the song at the end of the episode "Brightwing".
- In 1992, in the movie The Efficiency Expert.
- In 2005, the TV show, Cold Case used this song at the end of the episode "A Perfect Day".
- In 2006, the TV show, Alias used this song at the end of the episode "No Hard Feelings".
- In 2006, the song was featured in the movie Flicka.
- In 2007, GE Ecomagination used the song in a television commercial promoting their achievements in wind power.
- In 2009, thatgamecompany used it in a promotional advertisement of PlayStation Network title Flower.
- In 2009 MassMutual used the song in a personal financial services commercials.
- In 2009, the movie, The Invention of Lying used almost the whole track following the scene in which the protagonist's mother dies.
- In 2009, the movie, Charlie and Boots, used the song as the final scene, in which the two protagonists fish together.
- In 2011, the TV show, Parenthood used this song at the end of the November 8th episode, "In-Between".
- Johnny Rivers (1965)
- Liedermacher Reinhard Mey recorded a German version, "Geh und fang den Wind", which was his first single release. (His name here is incorrectly spelled Rainer May). The translation was done by Joe Menke.
- The Blues Project on their 1966 album, Live at The Cafe Au Go Go
- Cher (1966)
- Siluete (1966)
- Bruce Springsteen (1967) as part of the band The Castiles
- Glen Campbell (1967)
- Claudine Longet (1968)
- Dottie West (1968)
- Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs (1968)
- Peter Fonda (1968) on the Chisa label, as the B-side to his version of Gram Parsons' "November Night"
- The Lettermen (1970)
- Mike Berry (1970, recorded under the name "Timothy Barclay")
- We Five (1970)
- Buck Owens (1971)
- Eartha Kitt (1972)
- Sammy Hagar on his 1977 album, Sammy Hagar
- Vern Gosdin on his 1978 album, Never My Love
- Susanna Hoffs on her 1994 album, Susanna Hoffs and also appeared on the UK CD single for the song "All I Want".
- Four to the Bar on their 1995 album, Another Son
- The Irish Descendants on their 1995 album, Gypsies and Lovers
- Arjen Anthony Lucassen on his 1997 album, Strange Hobby
- Katey Sagal on her 2004 album, Room
- The Spill Canvas on their 2007 album, Denial Feels So Good
- Liane Carroll on her 2007 album Slow Down
- Jimmy LaFave on his 2007 album, Cimarron Manifesto
- Adam Bomb and the WMD's on their 2009 album, Live from Tehran
- Chet Atkins
- Joan Baez and Mimi Fariña recorded a duet which appeared on the "Generations of Folk" series (Volume 3, Classic Harmonies).
- Paul Revere and the Raiders
- Rickie Lee Jones on her 2012 album, Devil You Know
- Adam Bomb and the WMDs on their 2009 album "Live from Tehran"
- Eero Jussi and the Boys recorded it as Tuuli Kuiskaa Vain in Finnish
- Daffyd Rees and Luke Crampton, Rock Stars Encyclopedia (New York: DK Publishing, Inc., 1999), 309.
- "Rainer May - Geh und fang den Wind (Catch The Wind)". YouTube. 2010-01-28. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "Recording: Catch the Wind - Buck Owens". Second Hand Songs. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "Catch the Wind / Hurdy Gurdy Man - Eartha Kitt". Earthakittfanclub.com. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "The Susanna Hoffs Discography"
- Catch The Wind (Single) - Donovan Unofficial Site
- Donovan discography
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics