Chanakya National Law University
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2012)|
|Chanakya national Law University|
("Knowledge is the greatest wealth")
|Type||National Law University|
|Chancellor||Hon`ble Justice Miss Rekha Manharlal Doshit, Chief Justice, Patna High Court|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor (Dr.) A. Lakshminath|
|Students||400 undergraduates and 40 graduates|
|Location||Patna, Bihar, India|
|Campus||35 acres (140,000 m2)|
|Affiliations||Bar Council of India, University Grants Commission|
Chanakya National Law University (CNLU) is an autonomous law school located in Patna, Bihar, India. It was established in 2006 by the Government of Bihar (Bihar Act 24 of 2006) as a public university dedicated to the field of legal education. The Chief Justice of Patna High Court is the ex-officio Chancellor of the university. Presently, the position is held by chief justice Hon`ble Justice Miss Rekha Manharlal Doshit. The vice-chancellor of the University is Dr. A. Lakshminath.
The university came into being on August 15, 2006 under the guidance of its Vice-Chancellor/Pro-Chancellor, Prof. Dr. A. Lakshminath, former Dean and Registrar, NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad. CNLU was established under the Chanakya National Law University Act, 2006 (Bihar Act No. 24 of 2006) and included in section 2(f) & 12(B) of the U.G.C. Act, 1956.
CNLU offers the following research degree:
The library has on-line databases, books, reports, theses and around 7000 books. The library subscribes to around 50 Indian and foreign journals, and subscribes to the online database of Westlaw, Manupatra and Heinonline. The library has a Head Librarian and nine staff.
The Student Bar Council
The Student Bar Council (SBC) is the regulatory body that coordinates all student activities. It works on the motto of "Of the students, for the students and by the students". The SBC has created activity-based committees which regulate student activities.
CNLU has four committees which coordinate the activities of the Student Bar Council (SBC), headed by the President of the University along with the Vice-president and other members of the Committees. These committees are re-constituted every year.
CNLU annual fest named JEEVATVA was organised recently. Students from many colleges across India participate in this fest.It includes cultural, sports and academic events. CNLU also organised the first grand scale Model United Nations event in Bihar.
- 'Most Dignified Team' award at the 6th National Law School Parliamentary Debate Competition, organised by NLSIU, Bangalore.
- 'Best Team' award and 'Best Speaker' at National Parliamentary Debate Competition, SPOCULIT, organized by RMLNLU, Lucknow.
- Runners-up in the National Parliamentary Debate Competition, Shastrartha, organised by IIT, Kharagpur.
- First Runner up and Best Speaker Award in the Debate Competition organized by the Department of Income-Tax, Patna on 21 October 2011.
- Declared Semi-Finalist in BITS (Pilani) National Parliamentary Debate Competition, 2009.
- Semi-Finalist in ‘Vox Populi’ during Cognizance, 2010 at IIT, Roorkee.
- 'Best Speaker' and '2nd Best' Speaker at American Corner Extempore Competition, 2009.
- Team consisting of Aakriti Tripathi, Girijapati Kaushal and Pawan Kumar of Chanakya national law university, Patna has been Awarded the best written submissions award in the north India rounds of the prestigious Phillip C Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition 2013 held in Symbiosis Law School Noida from 18th to 20th January 2013.
- Won the 28th Bar Council of India Inter-university Moot Court Competition, 2012 held on 10–12 March 2012 hosted by National Law University Delhi, New Delhi.
- Won the “Xth Law Centre-I All India Moot Court Competition 2011” held on 5–6 November 2011 organized by Faculty of Law, New Delhi.
- Reached the semi-finals and won the "2nd Best Memorial" and "3rd Best Team" Awards in the India North Rounds of the 14th Stetson International Environmental Law Moot Court Competition, 2010.
- Reached the semi-finals and won the "2nd Best Memorial" and "4th Best Team" Awards in the India North Rounds of 16th Stetson International Environmental Law Moot Court Competition- 2011 hosted by NLIU, Bhopal.
- Awarded the Best memorial Award & was Semifinalist in 1stNLIU - Juris Corp National Corporate Law Moot Court Competition, Bhopal.
- Semi-finalists and Chandan Prakash Pandey won the "2nd best student advocate" in the Philip. C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition (India North Rounds) 2011.
- Won the " 4th Best Memorial Award in the Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition (India North Rounds) 2010
- Won the Best Team, Best Memorial and Best Researcher in All India Pt. Vasudeo Narain Mishra Memorial Moot Court Competition at Patna Law College, Patna, 2009.
- Awarded Best Memorial in 1st ILNU (Institute of Law, Nirma University) National Moot Court Competition, 2011.
- Won the Best Mooter (Female) Award in the Amity First International Moot Court Competition, 2011 held from 18th to 20th November, 2011 at Amity Law School, Noida.
- Won the Best Memorial Award, GNLU International Trade Law Moot Court Competition, February 2010.
- Won the 2nd Best Speaker at Second NALSAR- NFCG Moot Court Competition 2010, NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad.
- Won the Best Speaker (Female) Award, National Rounds of the Commonwealth Moot Court Competition, School of Law, Christ University, Bengaluru, 2009.
- Won the Best Mooter (Female) Award in the Amity First International Moot Court Competition, 2011 held from 18th to 20th November 2011 at Amity Law School, Noida.
- Awarded “Best Judgment” Award in International Judgment Deliberation Round, Government Law College, Mumbai held on 5 & 6 February 2011.
- Awarded the 4th Best Memorial in Surana & Surana National Trial Advocacy Moot Court Competition 2010, North Rounds, Chandigarh.
- Semi Finalist in 3rd NLIU Justice R. K. Tankha Memorial Moot Court Competition, 2009 at NLIU, Bhopal.
- Presence at international moots and arbitration competitions across the world, including Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration (both Hong Kong and Vienna rounds) and Murdoch Moot Court Competition, Australia.