Curtin University Sarawak
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2007)|
|Curtin University Sarawak|
|Motto||Look Ever Forward|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Jim Mienczakowski|
Curtin University Sarawak is an off-shore campus of Curtin University, a university based in Perth, Western Australia. It provides local and international students with higher education in Sarawak, Malaysia.
Curtin's Sarawak campus is located in Miri, Sarawak. It is the first offshore campus of Curtin University of Technology and the first offshore campus set up in East Malaysia.
The Sarawak State Government invited Curtin to establish an international university in Sarawak. Curtin Sarawak's operations in Miri commenced in February 1999. In 2002, the new campus was built. In November 1999, Curtin Sarawak was awarded the Multimedia Super Corridor status and was renewed in 2006.
Schools and divisions
The schools and divisions are:
- School of Foundations and Continuing Studies
- School of Business
- School of Health Sciences
- Department of Media, Culture & Communication
- School of Engineering and Science
Pre-university programs at Curtin's Sarawak campus prepare students for university study.
School of Business
The school offers qualifications that are accredited by international as well as national professional associations and governmental agencies.
Bachelor of Commerce
- Accounting and Finance (double major)
- Accounting and Banking (double major)
- Accounting and Entrepreneurship (double major)
- Entrepreneurship and Management (double major)
- Entrepreneurship and Marketing (double major)
- Banking and Finance (double major)
- Finance and Marketing (double major)
- Finance and Management (double major)
- Management and Marketing (double major)
- Management and Public Relations (double major)
- Marketing and Public Relations (double major)
- Tourism and Hospitality and Marketing Double Major (double major)
Bachelor of Arts
- Media, Culture and Communication
Bachelor of Business Administration
Department of Media, Culture & Communication
The Department of Media, Culture & Communication was set up in 2009 and took over all teaching and research that was previously under the Department of Mass Communication. Mass Communication was originally set up in 2003, as part of the School of Business, and officially became a Department in 2006.
School of Engineering and Science
The School of Engineering and Science at Curtin Sarawak was established in 2000. It offers Engineering and Science courses, including the four-year courses leading to a Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) degree in Chemical Engineering, Civil and Construction Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Systems Engineering and Electronics and Communication Engineering. The school conducts three-year Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Life Sciences, Applied Geology and Geophysics, and a Bachelor of Technology in Computer Systems and Networking. The school offers doctoral and masters programs.
Academics from the School are active in of research and in consultancy activities through Curtin Consultancy Services.
Curtin Sarawak offers identical degrees to those at the Curtin University main campus in Western Australia. Examinations for the degree programmes are set and moderated at Curtin's main campus in Perth to ensure that they meet and fulfill the academic standards. Academics from Perth visit the Curtin Sarawak campus for quality audit and for consultations on issues ranging from assignments, projects, tasks and other assessments.