Daniel Jones (chancellor)
|University of Mississippi (Ole Miss)|
June 15, 2009 – present
|Preceded by||Dr. Robert Khayat|
March 19, 1949 |
|Alma mater||Mississippi College (Bachelor's degree); University of Mississippi Medical Center (Medical degree)|
|Profession||Medical Doctor, University President|
|Salary||$446,775/year (half comes from private funds)|
Daniel Wayne "Dan" Jones (born March 19, 1949 is the 16th and current chancellor of the University of Mississippi. He was appointed June 15, 2009, after Robert Khayat announced his retirement from the post on January 6, 2009.
Jones was formerly the Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs, the Dean of the School of Medicine and the Herbert G. Langford Professor of Medicine - all three at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He was the national president of the American Heart Association for the 2007-2008 year.
Jones began in private practice in Laurel, Mississippi in 1978. He moved to Pusan, Korea in 1985 as a medical missionary, where he was the director of the community health department and hypertension clinic at the Wallace Memorial Baptist Hospital. He joined the faculty of the University of Mississippi Medical Center in 1992.
Jones, a designated specialist in clinical hypertension under the American Society of Hypertension, is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine and a fellow of the American College of Physicians. He serves on the board of directors of Global Resource Services, which provides professional consultation to East Asian nations in the areas of advocacy, humanitarian aid, development and education.
Jones is the co-author of the book titled Hypertension Pearls, published in 2004.
Jones is married to Lydia and they have two adult children.
- Crisp, Elizabeth (2009-06-16). "UM chancellor confirmed: Jones picked to lead Ole Miss.". The Clarion-Ledger. Archived from the original on 2009-06-16. Retrieved 2009-06-16.
- "Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning: Daniel W. Jones, M.D". Mississippi.edu. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare - 2006-2007 (6 ed.). 2006.
- Interaction.org: Global Resource Services[dead link]
- "Hypertension Pearls By Daniel W. Jones, Deborah S. King, Marion R. Wofford". Books.google.com. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- West, Phil (2011-10-31). "Memphis Commercial Appeal: Medical school dean expected to be named Ole Miss chancellor June 15". Commercialappeal.com. Retrieved 2011-11-08.