Dasharatha Sharma (1903–1976) was an Indologist and a noted expert in the history of the Rajasthan region in India. Born in the Rajasthani city of Churu, he studied at Churu, the city of Bikaner in Rajasthan and at the University of Delhi. He had degrees of Master of Arts (M.A.) in History and Sanskrit and received a Doctor of Literature (D. Litt.) for his thesis, Early Chauhan Dynasties.
- 1 Academic appointments
- 2 Authorship
- 3 Further reading
- 4 External links
Dr. Sharma was the Head, Department of History at Hindu College, Delhi and later was appointed Reader (equivalent of Associate Professor) in Ancient History at the University of Delhi. In 1966, he was appointed as Professor and Head, Department of History at the University of Jodhpur ( now renamed Jai Narain Vyas University ) and later became Dean, Faculty of Arts at the same institution. After retirement from the University of Jodhpur, Prof. Sharma served as Director of the Rajasthan Puratattva Mandir ( Rajasthan Oriental Research Institute ) in Jodhpur. He also presided over the Ancient History section of the Indian History Congress in 1967 and the General History section of the Rajasthan History Congress in 1969.
Prof. Sharma as a mentor
Several scholars were assigned to work under or sought the guidance of Dr. Sharma to complete their theses towards progression to Ph. D. degrees. Some of the volumes produced under Dr. Sharma's supervision are 'A Socio-political study of the Valmiki Ramayana' by Dr. Ramashraya Sharma, 'Sun worship in ancient India' by Dr. Lalata Prasad Pandey, 'Social life in Northern India A.D. 600-1000' by Dr. Brij Narain Sharma, 'The Parmaras, C. 800-1305 A.D.' by Dr. Pratipal Bhatia, 'Social and cultural history of Northern India C 1000-1200 A.D.' by Dr. Brijendra Nath Sharma, 'Food and drinks in ancient India: from earliest times to C. 1200 A.D.' by Dr. Om Prakash, 'Struggle for responsible government in Marwar' by Dr. Sobhag Mathur and 'Raj Marwar during British paramountcy' by Dr. Paras Raj Shah.
During his career, Prof. Sharma published over four hundred research papers and notes on a wide range of subjects. His noted monograph Early Chauhan Dynasties was first published in 1959, a revised edition was published in 1975 and reprinted in 2002. The manuscript shows that the Agnikula myth of the origin of Rajputs was adapted from the Valmiki Ramayana and calculates the year of birth for Prithiviraj III using planetary positions described in the Prithvirajavijaya. It also attributes the success of Muhammad Ghori to the rivalry between the Chauhans of Sakambari and the Chalukyas of Gujarat. Amongst other subjects, Lectures on Rajput history and culture elaborates on the origin of the Rajputs, brings attention to the celebration in Kannauj after Prithviraj III was defeated (at the second battle of Tarain), follows the thirteenth century Rajput struggle of survival, and discusses the Rajput resurgence represented by Maharana Kumbha and Rav Jodha. In 1960, Dr. Sharma was appointed by the Rajasthan State Archives (an agency of the Government of Rajasthan) as General Editor of a comprehensive history of Rajasthan to be published by the Government of Rajasthan. This became the definitive work on the history of Rajasthan, a worthy successor to the previous works by James Tod and Gaurishankar Hirachand Ojha. Titled Rajasthan through the ages this work was largely written by Dr. Sharma and published in 1966. Samrat Prithiviraj Chauhan tritiya aur unka yug (in Hindi) is an updated text on the last Hindu king of Delhi.
- Early Chauhan Dynasties: a study of Chauhan political history, Chauhan political institutions, and life in the Chauhan dominions, from 800 to 1316 A D :Dasharatha Sharma; with a foreword by K.M. Panikkar. ISBN 0-8426-0618-1
- Rajasthan through the ages: a comprehensive and authentic history of Rajasthan, prepared under the orders of the Government of Rajasthan (Volume I) General Editor: Dasharatha Sharma. Publisher: Rajasthan State Archives, Bikaner, 1966.
- Lectures on Rajput history and culture (Raghunath Prosad Nopany Lectures 1966):Dasharatha Sharma. Publisher: Motilal Banarsidass, Jawahar Nagar, Delhi,1970. ISBN 0-8426-0262-3.
- Kuch aithasika rukke-parvane (Hindi कुछ ऐतिहासिक रुक्के परवाने): Lectures on communuications between 17th and 18th century rulers of Rajasthan and other dignitaries, Publisher: Rajasthan Sodha Samsthana, Jodhpur 1968.
- Samrat Prithviraja Chauhan tritiya aur unka yug ( Hindi सम्राट पृथ्वीराज चौ़हान तृतीय और उनका युग)
- Dasharatha Sharma lekha-sangraha ( in Hindi ) Editors: Manohar Sharma, Divakar Sharma. Publisher: Hindi Visvabharati Anusandhan Parishad, Bikaner 1977.
Chapters contributed to texts
A comprehensive history of India ( Vol.4 part I ) Published under the auspices of the Indian History Congress. Publisher: People's Publishing House, Delhi 1992. ISBN 81-7007-121-6.
- Chapter X(A) The political condition of Northern India in 985
- Chapter XI The Shahis
- Chapter XII section I Kannauj ( c. 985-1200 ) Pratiharas and Rastrakutas
- Chapter XVIII The Cahamanas
- Chapter XIX More Rajput dynasties
Critically edited historical Manuscripts
- Dayaldasari khyata : Bikanerarai Rathoramari khyata / Sindhayaca Dayaladasa krita ; Principal editor: Dasharatha Sharma. Publisher: Anup Sanskrit Pustakalaya, Bikaner 1948.
- Kyam Khan Raso, Editors: Dasharatha Sharma, Agarchand Nahata, Bhanwarlal Nahata. Publisher: Rajasthan Puratattva Mandir, Jaipur 1953.
- Amarsimhabhiseka-kavya, Pilani 1953.
- Pamwar-vansa-darpan of Dayaldas Publisher: Sadul Rajasthani Research Institute, Bikaner 1960.
- Indraprastha-prabandha Publisher: Rajasthan Puratattva Mandir, Jodhpur 1963.
- Sangitaraghunandanam by Visvanathasimha, Maharaja of Rewa. Publisher: Rajasthan Puratattva Mandir, Jodhpur, 1974.
Edited Commemorative Volumes
- Shri Agarchand Nahata abhinandan grantha Principal Editor: Dasharatha Sharma. Publisher: Shri Abhaya Jain Granthalaya, Bikaner 1976.
- Ojha Nibandha Sangraha (Vol 1) Editor: Dasharatha Sharma. Publisher: Udaipur Sahitya Sansthan, Rajasthan Vishwa Vidyapith 1954.
Critical introductions to the following historical Manuscripts
- Mudrarakshasapurvasamkathanaka of Anantasarman Publisher: Anup Sanskrit Library, Bikaner 1945.
- Hammirayana Publisher: Sadul Rajasthani Research Institute, Bikaner.
- Dalpat Vilas Publisher: Sadul Rajasthani Research Institute, Bikaner 1960.
- Achaldas Khichi ri Vachanika Publisher: Sadul Rajasthani Research Institute, Bikaner.
- Padmini-charita-chaupai Publisher: Sadul Rajasthani Research Institute, Bikaner.
- Raas aur Rasanvayi-Kavya Dr. Dashrath Ojha and Dr. Dasharatha Sharma. Publisher: Nagari-Pracharini Sabha, Varanasi 1959.
- Hammiramahakavya Editor: Muni Jinavijaya. Publisher: Rajasthan Puratattva Mandir, Jodhpur.
- Hamarey Purodha-19 Dr. Dasharatha Sharma ( Hindi हमारे पुरोधा-19 डा. दशरथ शर्मा ) in Hindi. Author: Dr. Girija Shankar Sharma. Publisher: Rajasthan Sahitya Academy, Udaipur, 2003. ISBN 81-88445-00-2 
- 'Early Chauhan Dynasties' ( first edition ) at google books 
- 'Rajasthan through the ages' Library of Congress listing 
- 'Lectures on Rajput history and culture' at google books 
- Kuch aithasika rukke-parvane at google books 
- Dasharatha Sharma lekha sangraha at google books 
- 'A comprehensive history of India' Vol 4 part I at google books 
- Kyam Khan Raso Library of Congress listing 
- Indraprastha-prabandha Library of Congress listing 
- Sangitaraghunanadanam at google books 
- Mudrarakshasapurvasamkathanaka of Anantasarman at google books 
- Raas aur Rasanvayi-Kavya Library of Congress listing 
- Rajasthan Puratattva Mandir 
- 'A Socio-political study of the Valmiki Ramayana' at google books 
- 'Sun worship in ancient India' at google books 
- 'Social life in Northern India A.D. 600-1000' at google books 
- 'The Parmaras C. 800-1305 A.D.' at google books 
- 'Social and cultural history of Northern India C 1000-1200 A.D.' at googlebooks 
- 'Struggle for responsible government in Marwar' at google books 
- 'Raj Marwar during British paramountcy' at google books