vocalizing an electric guitar, on stage with the House Jacks, 2006
|Birth name||Kurk Richard Toohey, Jr.|
|Born||December 12, 1967|
|Origin||San Francisco, California, USA|
|Occupation(s)||singer, arranger, composer, director, producer, television producer, and teacher|
|Instruments||singer, scat singer|
|Labels||Tommy Boy Warner Bros. Records, Hot Lips Records, Artelier, Atlantic Records, Sony Music Latin, Epic, Universal Records|
|Associated acts||The House Jacks, Tufts Beelzebubs, Straight No Chaser, Nota, Committed, Street Corner Symphony|
Deke Sharon (born December 12, 1967) is an American singer, arranger, composer, director, producer and teacher of a cappella music, and is one of the leaders of the contemporary a cappella community and a pioneer of the contemporary a cappella style, referred to as "the father of contemporary a cappella" by some authors.
Deke Sharon was born and raised in San Francisco, attending Town School and San Francisco University High School. He started singing in choirs at age 5  including the San Francisco Boys Chorus, in which he toured America and performed with Pavarotti.
He spent his college years in Boston, graduating cum laude from Tufts University and the New England Conservatory of Music  where he studied with Ran Blake, Dominique Eade and Alan Fletcher (composer). In college, he directed the collegiate a cappella group the Tufts Beelzebubs, transforming the group's sound to reflect modern rock, complete with vocal percussion. The 1990–1991 Beelzebubs album Foster Street that he directed musically, co-produced and largely arranged is credited with giving birth to the contemporary a cappella sound.
In his dormitory, he founded The Contemporary A Cappella Society and The Ultimate A Cappella Arranging Service (which became TotalVocal), as well as brought the Harmony Sweepstakes to the East Coast, producing the first Boston regional with the Beelzebubs. In college, he decided to make a career of contemporary a cappella. even though people thought he was crazy for doing so. 
Upon graduation in 1991, he moved back to San Francisco, bringing with him a handful of other collegiate a cappella singers to form the The House Jacks, a pioneering a cappella group known for its original music and sound, often called "the original rock band without instruments", in part because they were the first a cappella group with a designated vocal percussionist.
The House Jacks have released seven albums (signed to Warner Brothers/Tommy Boy Records in the mid-1990s) and completed several world tours. He has performed with many musicians, including Ray Charles, Crosby, Stills and Nash and James Brown. They have won "Best Pop Rock Album" more than once from the Contemporary A Cappella Society, for "Unbroken" (2004) and "Level" (2010).
In addition to performing with the House Jacks, he also performs as a solo artist, with groups such as the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus  and at events like Singapore's Vocal Edge. Studio session credits include the Wii game "Just Dance Kids 2" including "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", "Barbara Ann", and "Mahna Mahna".
A prolific (over two thousand a cappella arrangements), award-winning vocal music arranger, he has arranged for some of vocal music's best known groups. The Best Arrangement award at the Colorado Harmony Sweepstakes is named after him, and he has won the best arrangement award at the Harmony Sweepstakes several times between 1991 and 2011.
He was named "favorite arranger" in the 2010 A Cappella Community Awards.
"A Cappella Arranging," his first book, co-authored with Dylan Bell, was published in 2012.
Music direction and production
As a producer of a cappella recordings, he is known for having changed the sound of collegiate a cappella recording via the Beelzebubs' album Code Red. He has arranged and produced for Atlantic Records' Straight No Chaser and was nominated for a Dove Award in 2012 (Best Contemporary Gospel Album: Committed).
He arranged for The Social Network, and served as music director and arranger  for the film Pitch Perfect, and Pitch Perfect 2 as well as singing on several of the songs (credited on screen as "Male Voice #1"), which earned several awards, including a platinum record, the American Music Award for best soundtrack  and an MTV Video Music Award for "Best Musical Moment".
In December 2009, he acted as arranger, coach, and consultant behind the scenes on America's first a cappella reality show competition The Sing-Off, and returned in 2010 as one of the show's producers as well as arranger. He also served as Executive Music Producer on the Dutch Sing Off and Sing-Off China, including several guest appearances as a judge and performer.
Along with The House Jacks, he sang and performed the 2011 Monday Night Football theme song "Are You Ready for Some Football" with Hank Williams, Jr. Sixteen versions were taped, but only a few episodes aired before the song was removed (due to Hank's comments about President Obama).
In the early 1990s, he co-founded The Best of College A Cappella (BOCA), the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA), the West and East Coast A Cappella Summits, and a number of other a cappella-related projects, programs, and events with the goal of popularizing a cappella.  He also founded and directed a cappella groups at Walt Disney World/Epcot (American Vybe) and Disneyland (Groove 66), as well as Santa Fe's Voasis 
He is also known for his ability to replicate a variety of instruments (e.g. trumpet, guitar, flute, violin) with his voice, teaching "Singing Instruments" seminars, teaching summer camp for young vocalists and adjudicating choral festivals around the world. He has worked with many professional groups, including The Nylons and Boyz II Men.
He served on the CASA board for almost twenty years, often as President or Vice President. He formed the Contemporary A Cappella League, a new national network of adult "post-collegiate" a cappella groups, Inside Acappella, Camp Acappella, and teaches music production each year.
His motto is "Harmony through harmony." 
|Fourteen – Tufts Beelzebubs||1989||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Beelzebub Winter Invitational – Tufts Beelzebubs||1990||Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Foster Street – Tufts Beelzebubs||1991||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Sing Naked – House Jacks||1991||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Naked Noise – House Jacks||1994||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Best of College A Cappella||1995-2015||Producer|
|Urban Harmony: R&B A Cappella||1996||Producer|
|Funkwich – House Jacks||1997||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|A Cappella All-Stars: The CARAs||1997-2000||Producer|
|Voices Only: A Cappella Originals||1997||Producer|
|Yearbook: Live from Spring Thing||1997-1998||Producer|
|Best of High School A Cappella||1998-2015||Producer|
|Naked Funk – House Jacks||1999||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Wasting Our Parents' Money: BOCA Humor||1999||Producer|
|Drive – House Jacks||2001||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Next – Tufts Beelzebubs||2001||Arranger, Producer|
|Disney's American Vybe – American Vybe||2001||Music Director, Arranger|
|Punch – Various||2002||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Embodiment – BaSix (Denmark)||2002||Producer|
|Only In America – Peking and the Mystics||2002||Producer|
|Code Red – Tufts Beelzebubs||2003||Arranger, Producer|
|Unbroken – House Jacks||2004||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Fitchy & Grikko – House Jacks||2005||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Udder Won – Moosebutter||2005||Vocalist, Producer|
|Unleash the Periscope – Colorado College Back Row||2006||Producer|
|Get Down Mr. President – House Jacks||2007||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Good Things – House Jacks||2009||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Christmas Cheers – Straight No Chaser||2009||Arranger, Producer|
|The Sing-Off tracks – US Sing-Off Cast, Season 1-5||2009-2014||Arranger, Music Director, Producer|
|Go Nuts – Colorado College Back Row||2010||Producer|
|With A Twist – Straight No Chaser||2010||Arranger, Producer|
|Level – House Jacks||2010||Music Director, Arranger, Vocalist, Producer|
|Nota – Nota||2010||Arranger, Producer|
|Harmonies for the Holidays – Sing-Off Cast, Season Two||2010||Arranger, Producer|
|Best of The Sing-Off Season Two – Sing-Off Cast||2011||Arranger, Music Director, Producer|
|Committed – Committed||2011||Arranger, Producer|
|Songs of the Season – Sing-Off Cast, Season Three||2011||Arranger, Producer|
|Pitch Perfect Soundtrack – Pitch Perfect cast||2012||Arranger, Music Director, Vocalist, Producer|
|Act Accordingly – Gentlemen's Rule||2012||Arranger, Producer|
|Life's So Lyrical – Forte||2012||Arranger, Producer|
|Blackjack – The House Jacks||2012||Arranger, Music Director, Vocalist, Producer|
|Southern Autumn Nostalgia – Street Corner Symphony||2013||Arranger, Producer|
|Pollen – The House Jacks||2014||Arranger, Music Director, Vocalist, Producer|
|Pitch Perfect 2 Soundtrack – Pitch Perfect Cast||2015||Arranger, Music Director, Vocalist, Producer|
|Best of BOCA||2015||Producer|
(This list does not include albums with Deke Sharon arrangements but not direction or production)
- Edit_Here. "A Cappella Originals from CASA.org". Acappellaoriginals.libsyn.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "TruMix – A Cappella Originals from CASA.org Podcast". Podcastdirectory.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "RARB Review of The House Jacks – Drive". Rarb.org. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Rapkin, Mickey. "Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory"- Gotham Books, 2008". Pitchperfect-thebook.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- http://qctimes.com/entertainment/sing-off-winners-coming-to-adler/article_18d43f51-796f-59b3-82c2-585e6cd2d51c.html. Retrieved December 8, 2014. Missing or empty
- "Tufts E-News – A Cappella With An Edge". Enews.tufts.edu. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "A cappella group finds its voice – again: The Register-Guard, Eugene, Ore". Registerguard.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Beelzebubs take their shot at fame on NBC’s ‘The Sing-Off’ – The Boston Globe". Boston Globe. December 15, 2009. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Find Articles 404 File not found[dead link]
- "Old style, new sounds". A Cappella News. March 7, 2006. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Boy bands over bach | American Music Teacher | Find Articles at BNET.com[dead link]
- "News Archives". Nl.newsbank.com. May 21, 1993. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "'Rock band without instruments' returns to Napa High on Friday". Napavalleyregister.com. February 3, 2010. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "House Jacks Play Girl Scout Benefit in Wheeling – OV Parent – Ohio Valley's parenting site featuring blogs, message boards, news, polls". ovparent.com. April 29, 2011. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Gray, Alysia. "NBC Los Angeles article about LA A Cappella Festival". Nbclosangeles.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "A Century of A Cappella". A-cappella.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "A cappella singers making wider waves – The Boston Globe". Boston Globe. April 26, 2009. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Novato House Jacks article". Novatoadvance.com. November 23, 2011. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- ": Jazzica lockten die fulminante A-capella-Formation The House Jacks nach Kiel – Segeberger Zeitung – Aktuelles aus der Kultur in Schleswig-Holstein – SZ-online". Segeberger-zeitung.de. October 16, 2008. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Raise the roof – Artown – Guides – June 24, 2010 – Reno News & Review". Newsreview.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "2011 Contemporary A Cappella Recording Award Winners | A Cappella Music – The Contemporary A Cappella Society". Casa.org. March 19, 2011. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- ""The Sing-Off’" Deke Sharon and Renowned Beatboxer Kid Beyond Join Forces with San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus for "Unplugged"". 22 May 2012.
- Kam, Derrick (14 May 2012). "The Father of Contemporary A Cappella: Deke Sharon". Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- Denied:1up! Software
- Kettering Oakwood Times article
- Calgary, The (January 17, 2008). "Music history tribute aims to leave viewers feelin' good". Canada.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival Denver Regional". Harmony-sweepstakes.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival – Annual competition for vocal harmony groups". Harmony-sweepstakes.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "2010 A Cappella Community Awards Winners | A Cappella Music – The Contemporary A Cappella Society". Casa.org. May 16, 2010. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Be of Good Cheer – Straight No Chaser Is Back! Acclaimed A Cappella Group Returns With All-New Holiday-Themed Collection; Major U.S. Concert Tour Presented by Southwest Airlines Now Underway; Multiple TV Appearances Slated, Including PBS Special, "Live I | SYS-CON MEDIA". Sys-con.com. November 3, 2009. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- [dead link]
- "Nominees for the 43rd Annual GMA Dove Awards". Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "Bruin Harmony's John He: How We Ended Up In "The Social Network" | A Cappella Music – The Contemporary A Cappella Society". Casa.org. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- [dead link]
- "‘Sing-Off’ back on – The Boston Globe". Boston Globe. October 22, 2010. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Live in a Limited Entertainment Order with "good voice"" (in Chinese (Simplified Han). Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- Huet, Ellen (August 31, 2011). "S.F. a Cappella Group the House Jacks Add Voice to Monday Night Football and The Sing-Off – San Francisco Art – The Exhibitionist". Blogs.sfweekly.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Tickets on sale Jan. 29 for Straight No Chaser’s May 8 Tulsa show | BAM's Blog". Blog.newsok.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Colorado Springs Independent : Culture : Seven Days : Sound effects
- "A Cappella Group Dooley Noted Places Third in Regional Competition". The Emory Wheel. November 22, 2011. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "'Doo-Wop-a-Doo' Will No Longer Do – New York Times". Select.nytimes.com. June 22, 1997. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Steven Winn (March 6, 1996). "`Medea' To Reopen Stage Door". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- [dead link]
- Commercial Appeal : Memphis News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars, & Information[dead link]
- The Advertiser-Tribune (June 21, 2008). "Heartland Vocal Camp article". Advertiser-tribune.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Posted: May 16, 2008 2:22 pm (May 16, 2008). "Choir reaches high note at competition (Archives)". The-signal.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Calgary Herald article". .canada.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch Article about new attention to a cappella
- Rapkin, Mickey (March 23, 2008). "NY Times article about post-collegiate singing". The New York Times. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "Memphis article about DeltaCappella and the first League conference". Gomemphis.com. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Marine, Craig. (June 24, 1992) San Francisco Examiner Home of some very brave singers at the coliseum, A's anthem contest brings out talented and otherwise. Section: News; Page A5.
- Carnes, Jim. (May 21, 1993) The Sacramento Bee Jacks of all vocal trades. Section: Ticket; Page 15.
- Scott, Jane. (October 19, 1993) The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio) Jacking up music with edgy a cappella. Section: Arts & Living; Page C14.
- Birmingham News (October 7, 1994) Crime reports. Section: News; Page 2.
- Winn, Steven. (March 6, 1996) San Francisco Chronicle "Media" to reopen stage door. Section: Daily Datebook; Page E1.
- Eichenwald, Kurt. (June 22, 1997) New York Times Pop/jazz; 'Doo-Wop-a-Doo' will no longer do. Section 2; Page 232.
- Eichenwald, Kurt. (July 17, 1997) Albany Times Union A cappella groups push vocal limits. Section: Preview; Page 6.
- Associated Press (December 8, 1997) A Cappella Renaissance. Section: Entertainment.
- Roberts, Alison. (February 4, 1999) The Sacramento Bee Mouthin' to it: Boyz nite out takes the a cappella approach to rock 'n' roll. Section: Scene; Page F1.
- Muther, Christopher. (February 21, 1999) Boston Globe Different sounds of music group aims to make its mark in a cappella. Section: City Weekly; Page 9.
- Sharon, Deke. (August 2, 2000) San Francisco Examiner Letters to the editor. Section: News.
- PR Newswire (October 10, 2000) Internet Radio Is Home for the Adventurous, May Force Traditional Radio to Change Its Tune Says Expert.
- Alexander, Sandy. (February 25, 2001) Baltimore Sun Campuses in tune with singers Music: The voices-only sound of a cappella groups catches on at colleges in Maryland and across the nation. Section: Special Tab; Page 1S.
- Alarik, Scott. (April 22, 2001) Boston Globe "B-doom doom doom" they're not your father's a cappella. Section: Northwest weekly; Page 11.
- Burrell, Jackie. (March 4, 2006) Contra Costa Times Old style, new sounds. Section: Local; Page F4.
- Gomeztagle, Frances. (December 14, 2006) Colorado Springs Independent Sound effects. Volume 14; Issue 50; Page 28.
- McCandish, Laura. (May 19, 2007) Baltimore Sun "Harmonizing the Melting Pot". Section: Local; Page B1.
- Terauds, John. (January 27, 2008) Toronto Star "Acappellooza Shows A Cappella Singing on the Rise". Section: Entertainment.
- Rapkin, Mickey. (March 23, 2008) New York Times "Perfect Tone, in a Key That's Mostly Minor". Section: Style.
- Scott Simon. (May 31, 2008) Weekend Edition "Perfect Pitch: The Drama of Collegiate A Cappella".
- Rapkin, Mickey. "Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory". Gotham Books, 2008.
- Edgers, Geoff. (May 15, 2011) Boston Globe "Voices Carry" Section: Arts and Entertainment.
- House Jacks
- The Tufts Beelzebubs
- Elkhart Truth "Master of A Cappella Shares Talent"
- CNN "A Cappella Summit Joins Voices in Harmony" archive of text from the Vanderbilt Television News Archive
- Edmonton Journal "Northern Harmony"
- Taipei Contemporary A Cappella Association "第一屆大專盃台灣阿卡貝拉比賽"
- B.U. Bridge "A Cappella at B.U."
- Duke Magazine "Shoo-Bee-Doo-Bee-Duke"
- USC Thesis "Social Dynamics and Musical Sensibilities"
- UVA Thesis "Room Zero"
- Daily Princetonian article
- Tufts Daily "Going Live to the Past"
- Pulse Magazine "Following Pop's Lead, A Cappella Redefines Itself Again"
- Stanford Daily "A Cappella Up For Awards"
- General-Anzieger "Alltag raus, Spaß rein, Tür zu"
- Waiblinger Stadtanzeiger "Wanna Funk?"
- German articles "Mund-Trommler und Lippen-Gitarristen", "Mineralwasser, Mikrofone und Viel Stimme" and "Smarte Stimmkunstler..."
- "A Cappella U" podcast
- casa.org "Jacks Bring Down The House, None Survive"
- barbershop.org article on Contemporary A Cappella
- Tufts e-news "A Cappella With An Edge"
- NPR Weekend Edition Story "Perfect Pitch: The Drama of Collegiate A Cappella"
- Sing-Off Production List 
- Straight No Chaser Christmas Cheers 
- Pentatonix in Pitch Perfect 2 
- Making Choruses Cooler (Chorus America)