|Delbert W. Baker|
|Education||Oakwood University, Andrews University, Howard University, Harvard University|
|Writings||20 authored/edited books|
|Vice President of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
Education and family
Baker was born in 1953 in Oakland, California. He holds a BA in Ministerial Theology from Oakwood College, a Masters of Divinity from Andrews University, and a PhD in Communications from Howard University. He is married to the former Susan Lee, a physical therapist and educator. The couple has three adult sons: David, Benjamin and Jonathan.
Baker's professional experience includes ten years of pastoring (1975–1985), seven years as editor of Message (1985–1992), and four years as vice president and professor of Religion at Loma Linda University and Medical Center (1992–1996).
Baker most recently served as the president of Oakwood University from 1996-2010. Under his leadership the University experienced significant growth including: increased enrollment; enlarged land holdings; construction and/or purchase of five major facilities; major renovations on numerous campus structures; and development of a comprehensive award-winning technology network. Fund-raising efforts were also remarkable with more than $50 million raised through donations and grants. During his tenure the campus received awards for academics, campus beauty, and community service. For the last twelve years Oakwood University has been listed in US News and World Report as among the best colleges in the Southern region.
As pastor, professor, administrator, and president, Baker has attained distinction. He has served on the board of directors of more than ten organizations: among them, the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists, and the Adventist Health System. Additionally, he was on the White House Advisory for HBCUs for five years; testified before several congressional committees; and received awards from the White House, UNCF, Alumnus of the Year from his alma mater, and many civic and educational organizations.
Baker has authored over twenty books, most notably The Unknown Prophet, From Exile to Prime Minister, and Telling the Story, and written over 500 articles.
Baker has completed marathons on all seven continents and the North Pole and 35 of the 50 states in the U.S. As Oakwood President, he ran marathons to raise funds for student scholarships in a program that raised more than $500,000 in a scholarship endowment.
- General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
- Oakwood University
- Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Loma Linda University
- Historically black colleges and universities
- "Oakwood College Presidents," in Service into the 21st Century: The Oakwood College Constituency Report: 2001-2006, pg. 41.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=-jHXCJ_AWMI, Allen, Whitney, "Oakwood College President Keeps His Word, Takes Dive," in The Huntsville Times, October 3, 2007, 4B.
- Hollis, Mike, "Oakwood sets $84M Expansion," in The Huntsville Times, December 23, 1999, A1, ),Adventist Review : Oakwood College, Allen, Whitney, "Oakwood Opens Theology Center, Lauds 3 Honorees," in The Huntsville Times, October 23, 2007, 2B., http://www.oakwood.edu/Residence_Halls/default.aspx?id=12, http://www.oakwoodite.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=206.
- Hannah, Gina, "Oakwood Shows New Program," in The Huntsville Times, April 19, 2003, 1B, Haskins, Shelly, "Oakwood Revives Working Aspect of its History with High Tech," in The Huntsville Times, March 2, 2003, C1.
- Peifer, Bruce, "Advancement and Development Report," in Realizing the Vision: Oakwood College Constituency Report: 1996-2001, pgs. 28, 29, Cotton, Sabrina R., "Service through Fiscal Management," in Service into the 21st Century: The Oakwood College Constituency Report: 2001-2006, pgs. 20-22, Gates, Jacquelyn B., "Service Through Gift Investments," in Service into the 21st Century: The Oakwood College Constituency Report: 2001-2006, pgs. 32-35.
- http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drglance_1033_brief.php) .
- Kesner, Kenneth, "Oakwood's Baker gains High-Profile Board Seat," in The Huntsville Times, December 24, 2006, 11A.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Delbert Baker.|