Delhi Half Marathon
|Delhi Half Marathon|
Nehru Stadium, the starting point of the Delhi Half Marathon
|Location||Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Delhi|
The Airtel Delhi Half Marathon is an annual half marathon foot-race held in New Delhi, India. Established in 2005, it is both an elite runner and mass participation event. It is an AIMS-certified course and is listed as a Gold Label Road Race by the IAAF. The 2009 event attracted around 29,000 runners who competed in one of the four races: the half marathon, the 7 km Great Delhi Run, a 4.3 km run for senior citizens, and a 3.5 km wheelchair race.
The half marathon is the elite runner race, while the Great Delhi Run attracts the majority of participants overall. The inaugural edition in 2005 had total prize money of US$310,000 to attract high calibre professional athletes. The prize for the winners of the men's and women's race was $25,000 dollars in 2009. The race was sponsored Hutchison Essar for its first two races, and the company sponsored the event as Vodafone Essar in 2007 following a takeover. Rival communications company Airtel held the sponsor role in 2008, 2009 and 2010.
Key: Course record
|Edition||Year||Men's winner||Time||Women's winner||Time|
|1st||2005||Philip Rugut (KEN)||1:01:55||Irina Timofeyeva (RUS)||1:10:35|
|2nd||2006||Francis Kibiwott (KEN)||1:01:36||Lineth Chepkurui (KEN)||1:10:40|
|3rd||2007||Dieudonné Disi (RWA)||1:00:43||Deriba Alemu (ETH)||1:10:30|
|4th||2008||Deriba Merga (ETH)||59:15||Aselefech Mergia (ETH)||1:08:17|
|5th||2009||Deriba Merga (ETH)||59:54||Mary Keitany (KEN)||1:06:54|
|6th||2010||Geoffrey Mutai (KEN)||59:38||Aselefech Mergia (ETH)||1:08:35|
|7th||2011||Lelisa Desisa (ETH)||59:30||Lucy Wangui Kabuu (KEN)||1:07:04|
|8th||2012 ||Edwin Kipyego (KEN)||1:00:55||Wude Ayalew (ETH)||1:11:10|
|9th||2013 ||Atsedu Tsegay (ETH)||59:12||Florence Kiplagat (KEN)||1:08:02|
|10th||2014 ||Guye Adola (ETH)||59:06||Florence Kiplagat (KEN)||1:10:04|
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (2006-10-15). Kibiwott, Chepkirui the winners at Delhi Half-Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (2008-11-09). Three go sub-60, as Ethiopia sweep titles in Delhi Half Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (2009-11-01). Keitany sub-1:07 again, Merga defends in Delhi Half Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Prtzy (2013-12-16). Tsegay Breaks Cours Record at Delhi Half Marathon. IAAF.
Retrieved on 2013-12-16.
- AIMS Race Directory. Association of International Marathons and Distance Races. Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Airtel looks at leveraging ‘world’s richest’ Delhi marathon. MSN (2009-10-29). Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Keitany sub-1:07 again, Merga defends in Delhi Half Marathon. IAAF (2009-11-01). Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- 30,000 people run the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon. Hindustan Times (2009-11-01). Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Delhi marathon hits rough weather. The Hindu (2005-07-22). Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Defending champions return, but Mergia will have Keitany to contend with - Delhi Half Marathon preview. IAAF (2009-10-30). Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (2007-10-28). Disi, Alemu the winners in New Delhi Half-Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Delhi attracts high quality field and Jackie Joyner-Kersee's assistance - PREVIEW. IAAF (2008-11-07). Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Half Marathon All Time – Women. IAAF (2009-10-11). Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Half Marathon All Time – Men. IAAF (2009-10-11). Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Murali, Ram. Krishnan (2010-11-21). Mergia recaptures women’s crown, Mutai foils Ethiopian sweep at Delhi Half Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-11-27.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (2011-11-27). In close races, Desisa and Kabuu prevail in New Delhi Half. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-11-27.
- . Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- . Retrieved on 2013-12-16.
- . Retrieved on 2013-12-16.