|Based in||Palm Desert, California|
Desert Magazine was founded, edited and published from 1937 to 1958 by Randall Henderson (1888–1970). New editors followed until the magazine closed print publication in 1985. It was revived as an on-line magazine in 2006.
The magazine focused on the desert country of the Southwestern United States and Northwestern Mexico, and covered a broad range of desert subjects including: regional travel and exploration; the visual arts of painting, drawing, and photography; prose and literature; cultural history; prospecting and mining; natural history including geology, wildlife, and flora; river running, and lifestyle–human interest stories.
Online magazine – revival
Desert Magazine was revived as an archival online magazine, the Desert Magazine e-zine journal, in 2006. It contains all the entries and illustrations that were published in print from 1937 to 1985. A newsblog is also produced about the magazine called the Desert Magazine Weblog.
- Calico Print
- Desert Rat Scrap Book
- Desert Star Weekly – a weekly Coachella Valley newspaper published in Desert Hot Springs
- Jimmy Swinnerton – featured artist in magazine
- The Desert Sun – a daily Coachella Valley newspaper published in Palm Springs
- Budlong, Tom; Brooks, Joan (1997). The Desert magazine : subject index : all 534 issues of Desert magazine, November 1937 to June/July, 1985, plus all five issues of American desert magazine, November/December 1992 to Fall 1993. Spokane, WA: A. H. Clark. p. 525. ISBN 978-0870622816. OCLC 37892651.
- Desert Magazine: History. accessed 7/7/2010
- http://mydesertmagazine.com/ Desert Magazine: e-zine journal . accessed 7/7/2010
- ISSN 0011-9237; OCLC 1566284 and 760793933
- Desert Sun – Desert Magazine (subscription required)
- Ambrose, Marion (1979). Nevada articles in Desert magazine. Nevada Historical Society. OCLC 10126623.
- Brigandi, Phil (2004). Barnstorming the Desert: the Life of Randall Henderson, Founder of Desert Magazine and a Pioneer Pilot of the Desert Southwest. Henderson, NV: Howard W. Cannon Aviation Museum. p. 43. ISBN 978-0974912400. OCLC 71144217.
- Henderson, Randall; McKinney, Wilson. Desert Magazine Collection. Northern Arizona University, Cline Library. OCLC 52914837. "Archive material"
- McKenney, J. Wilson (1972). Desert Editor ... the story of Randall Henderson and Palm Desert. Georgetown, California: Wilmac Press. p. 188. LCCN 79190619. OCLC 448170. LCC PN4874.H457 M3
- Wild, Peter (2004). Desert Magazine: The Henderson Years. Johannesburg, California: The Shady Myrick Research Project. p. 112. OCLC 56193617.
- Wild, Peter (2005). Marshal South, of Yaquitepec. Johannesburg, California: The Shady Myrick Research Project. p. 157. OCLC 58796769. – South wrote a series of highly popular "Desert Refuge" articles (1940–1946) about his primitive life on the desert
|This lifestyle magazine or journal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.