|Created by||Fernando Gaitán|
|Written by||Kary Fajer|
|Directed by||Miguel Córcega|
|Theme music composer||J. Eduardo Murguia
Mauricio L. Arriaga
|Opening theme||Por Amarte by Pepe Aguilar|
|Ending theme||Ay Gaviota by Angélica Rivera|
|Country of origin||Mexico|
|No. of episodes||171|
|Executive producer(s)||Nicandro Díaz González|
|Editor(s)||Susana P. Valencia H.
|Running time||42-46 minutes|
|Original run||January 22, 2007 – September 16, 2007|
|Preceded by||Mundo de Fieras|
|Related shows||Café con aroma de mujer (1994)
Cuando seas mía (2001)
Destilando Amor ("Distilling Love") is a 2007 Mexican telenovela produced by Televisa and Nicandro Díaz González. It stars Angélica Rivera and Eduardo Yáñez as the main protagonists and was set primarily in Tequila, Jalisco. It is a remake of the 1994 Colombian telenovela Café, con aroma de mujer.
"The Best Telenovela of the Year" (Premios TVyNovelas 2008)
The story begins in the fields of Jalisco, where the harvesting of the agaves takes place each year. Workers Teresa "Gaviota" Hernandez and Clarita Hernandez go on the bus from Guadalajara to Tequila and from there, go to La Montalveña Hacienda, property of Amador Montalvo. At the same time, Amador comes to Tequila with his wife Pilar. The patriarch of the Montalvo family has a feeling he will die, but his wife tells him it is nonsense. While his son Felipe and his wife Constanza are visiting, Amador is dying, and he tells the overseer of the Hacienda Roman, to not leave Gaviota and Clarita without work. Meanwhile, most of the family is overseas. Bruno, son of Amador and Pilar, and his wife Fedra, are in New York City managing the headquarters of the Montalvo Corporation. Rodrigo, Aaron, and Sofia are living in London (Sofia is living with James O'Brien), and Daniela is in Paris studying dance. The four get calls from the rest of the family saying Amador is dying, so they leave what they are doing and leave at once. Amador dies, and the funeral is held the next day.
At the mass that is held for him, Gaviota leaves some flowers at the coffin, and Rodrigo goes to the front and pray at the same time as Gaviota. That is how the two first meet. Gaviota and Rodrigo begin meeting each other, and Rodrigo tells Gaviota that he will have to go to London and keep on studying for a doctorate at Cambridge University. The day before Rodrigo has to go, he and Gaviota go into the agave fields and make love. After Rodrigo leaves, Gaviota finds out she is pregnant. So she goes with this photographer who has been bothering her every year she comes to take pictures as a model and send her to Paris. Gaviota accepts, and in the end, goes to Paris with Madame Colette (Rebecca Mankita). At her arrival at Paris, Gaviota finds out she was tricked, and finds out she was sent to work as a prostitute. Gaviota escapes, and since she hasn't eaten food, she faints in front of a restaurant. Benvenutto Verducci, the owner of the restaurant, helps her and gives her money to go to London.
At her arrival, Gaviota searches for Rodrigo, until she sees him at the corner of a street. Excited, she crosses the street without looking, and she ends up being run over very grotesquely by a car. Rodrigo sees the accident, and he goes for a closer look, but he doesn't see who it is because he gets a call from his uncle Bruno saying that his parents, Constanza and Felipe, died in a plane accident at Toluca International.
Gaviota and her mother Clarita find a small apartment in Mexico City. Gaviota finds a job as a hotel receptionist. She looks for another job and sees an opening for a secretary at Montalvo Enterprises. She applies, using the assumed name Mariana Franco Villareal, the name given to her when she went to Paris. She interviews with Aaron, the head of the company and Rodrigo's cousin. Gaviota is insistent with Aaron that he hire her. Finally, she is hired as a receptionist. Meanwhile, the provision in Amador's (the late patriarch) will specifies that the first-born son is heir to the Montalvo fortune. Minerva, Aaron's wife, is insistent that she become pregnant first. Aaron, a womanizer, runs around with Pamela Torreblanca, an old friend. Minerva finds out that Gaviota is working at Montalvo Enterprises and tries her best to get Gaviota fired. Isadora continues to try to seduce Rodrigo, to no avail. Rodrigo and Gaviota are still in love with each other. Minerva announces she is pregnant.Rodrigo thinks Gaviota is working on a farm in Veracruz, so he goes there to try to find her.
Little does he know she is working for the family business. Gaviota has worked her way up in the company all the way to manager, much to the dismay of some of the Montalvo family. Minerva thinks her husband Aaron is sleeping with Gaviota, which he isn't. He is sleeping with Pamela Torreblanca, his mistress. Gaviota decides to change her name legally to Mariana Franco. She has to call Rodrigo on an important matter, and is hesitant. Meanwhile, Minerva and Aaron fight, causing Minerva to fall down stairs.
Minerva loses her baby. There is a provision in Amador's will saying that management of the company has to be done by a family member. All hands point to Rodrigo. He doesn't want to, but he has to go to the office on the important matter that Gaviota called him about earlier. Gaviota tries to disguise herself, to no avail. Rodrigo finds Gaviota, and they embrace and kiss. Now that he has found Gaviota, Rodrigo decides he wants to run the company. Gaviota and Rodrigo get together. Meanwhile, Aaron is involved in shady dealings with the company that he's trying to cover up by using Rodrigo and Gaviota. They go to the ports, separately, to check on tequila shipments. Meanwhile, Isadora wants to be artificially inseminated. She undergoes tests in Mexico, then goes to Houston for treatment. A neighbor, Francisco, discovers her and tries to seduce her.
He succeeds, and they go on a trip to Acapulco together. Aaron decides he wants to divorce Minerva because she won't give him a son. He wants to marry Pamela and hopes she'll give him the son he wants.Gaviota becomes friendly with Benvenuto, an Italian chef. Rodrigo, in his jealousy, thinks she is running around with Benvenuto, when the friendship is strictly platonic. While working in the office late one night, Gaviota sings her farmer's song. Minerva and Isadora overhear her, and find out that Mariana is Gaviota, and scheme to get her fired from the company.
Mariana is fired and is made to appear as if she had robbed the company and was Aaron's mistress. She leaves and breaks all memories from the past. Gaviota and her mother endure hard economic times haunted by the powerful Montalvo family. Someone who knew her from his good works with Montalvo's enterprise help her talking to Rodrigo about her hardship so he makes a reference letter to The Regulatory Commission of Tequila so she is accepted to work there.
- Angélica Rivera as Teresa 'Gaviota' Hernández García/Mariana Franco Villarreal de Montalvo - Married to Rodrigo, Clarita's daughter, works for the Public Relations of the C.R.T., former secretary at Montalvo Enterprises, enemies of Fedra, Minerva, and Isadora, Daniela's "cousin".
- Eduardo Yáñez as Rodrigo Montalvo Santos - Married to Gaviota, brother of Daniela and Sofia, Doña Pilar's grandson, Alonso's former "enemy", was "in love" with his psychologist; Erika Robledo.
- Sergio Sendel as Aarón Montalvo Iturbe - Minerva's husband, Pamela's former lover, Rodrigo's cousin, responsible for illicit exports, and is arrested (after escaping) by Interpol in Tuvalu and sentenced to death by Lethal injection.
- Chantal Andere as Minerva Olmos de Montalvo - Aaron's wife, hates Mariana Franco.
- Ana Martín as Clara 'Clarita' Hernández García de Thomas - Gaviota's mother.
- Martha Julia as Isadora Duarte Toledo de Montalvo - Rodrigo's ex-wife, Francisco's former lover, Ricky's mother, hates Mariana Franco, teaches history class at a school.
- Alejandro Tommasi as Bruno Montalvo Gil - Fedra's husband, Aaron's father.
- Ana Patricia Rojo as Sofia Montalvo Santos de la Vega de O'Brien - Sister of Rodrigo and Daniela, Doña Pilar's granddaughter, married to James.
- Julio Alemán as Roberto Avellaneda
- Martha Roth as Doña Pilar Gil viuda de Montalvo - Amador's wife, mother of Bruno and Felipe.
- José Luis Reséndez as Hilario Quijano - Son of Roman and Ofelia, married to Sanjuana.
- Olivia Bucio as Fedra Iturbe de Montalvo - Bruno's wife, hates Mariana Franco.
- Gustavo Rojo as Néstor Videgaray - Rodrigo's lawyer.
- Irma Lozano as Constanza Santos de Montalvo - Felipe's wife, mother of Rodrigo, Sofia and Daniela, die in a single plane crash with Felipe.
- Jaime Garza as Román Quijano - Hilario's father.
- Jorge Vargas as Felipe Montalvo Gil - Constanza's husband, father of Rodrigo, Sofia and Daniela, die in a single plane crash with Constanza.
- Jan as Patricio Iturbe - Aaron's cousin, engaged to Lluvia, was Aaron's accomplice for the illicit exports.
- Raúl "Chóforo" Padilla as Crispín Castano
- Fernanda Castillo as Daniela Montalvo Santos de Perez - Sister of Rodrigo and Sofia, Doña Pilar's granddaughter, married to Elvis.
- Carlos de la Mota as James O'Brien - Married to Sofia, Acacia's ex-husband, Rodrigo's close friend.
- Alicia Encinas as Barbara de Torreblanca - Pamela's mother.
- Edgardo Eliezer as Elvis Perez III - Married to Daniela.
- Gabriela Goldsmith as Cassandra "Sonia" Santovena - Alonso's cousin.
- Patricia Manterola as Erika Robledo - Rodrigo's psychologist, was in love with him, left after she realized that both Gaviota and Rodrigo were still in love with each other.
- Pedro Armendariz Jr. as Irving Thomas
- Miguel Galván as Carmelo
- Adriana Laffan as Ofelia de Quijano
- Archie Lafranco as Benvenuto Bertolucci
- Mariana Rios as Sanjuana Escajadillo - Married to Hilario.
- Theo Tapia as Gaspar Torreblanca - Pamela's father.
- Rebeca Mankita as Colette
- Jacqueline Voltaire
- Joaquín Cordero as Don Amador Montalvo - Doña Pilar's husband, father of Bruno and Felipe, dies a natural causes.
- Roberto Vander as Ricardo Duarte - Isadora's father.
- Norma Lazareno as Nuria Toledo de Duarte - Isadora's mother.
- Maria Prado as Doña Josefina "José" Chavez - Francisco's mother, Ricky's grandmother.
- Julieta Bracho as Elvira
- Adalberto Parra as Meliton
- Bibelot Mansur as Acacia - James' ex-wife, currently at a psychiatric hospital.
- Humberto Elizondo
- Rosita Bouchot as Flavia
- Enrique Rojo as Vallejo
- José Antonio Ferral
- Silvia Ramirez as Lluvia Camargo - Engaged to Patricio.
- Salvador Ibarra
- Yuliana Peniche as Margarita - Secretary at Montalvo Enterprises, Gaviota's friend.
- María Morena
- Joana Benedek as Pamela Torreblanca - Aaron's former lover.
- Luis Couturier as Artemio Trejo
- David Ostrosky as Eduardo Saldívar
- Ruben Morales
- Janet Ruiz
- Virginia Gutiérrez
- Luis Uribe as Lorenzo Onate - Aaron's close lawyer.
- Edmundo Arizpe
- Jesús Briones
- Julio Camejo as Francisco de la Vega Chavez - Sofia's ex-husband, lover of Isadora and Priscilla, died in a car accident.
- Hugo Macías Macotela as Arnulfo
- Luis Mario Quiroz as Dr. Paulino Tejeiros
- Toño Infante as Gelasio Barrales
- Nora Salinas as Karen de Santoveña - Alonso's wife
- René Strickler as Dr. Alonso Santoveña - Director of the Public Relations of the C.R.T., was in love with Gaviota, Rodrigo's former "enemy", married to Karen.
- "Por Amarte" - Pepe Aguilar
- "Ay Gaviota" - Angélica Rivera (Gaviota)
- "La Campirana" - Destilando Amor (Rolitacampirana 4)
- "Llegando a Ti" - Angélica Rivera (Gaviota)
- "Esos Altos de Jalisco" - Angélica Rivera (Gaviota)
- "Campo Abierto" - Destilando Amor (Rolitacampirana 3)
- "Esta Triste Guitarra" - Pepe Aguilar
- "Penas del Alma" - Angélica Rivera (Gaviota)
- "Enamorandonos" - Destilando Amor
- "Cielo Rojo" - Pepe Aguilar
- "Musica del Campo" - Destilando Amor (Rolitacampirana 1)
- "Corazoncito Tirano" - Angélica Rivera (Gaviota)
- "Echame a Mi la Culpa" - Pepe Aguilar
- "Luz de Luna" - Angélica Rivera (Gaviota)
- "Ilusion de Amarte" - Destilando Amor
- "El Impedimento" - Destilando Amor
- "Poder y Soberbia" - Destilando Amor
- "Gaviota (Son Jalisciense)" - Angélica Rivera (Gaviota) (Bonus Track)
- Destilando amor at the Internet Movie Database
- Destilando amor official website
- Destilando amor Univision page
- Destilando amor fan reviews