|Directed by||Srinivasa Reddy|
|Music by||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Cinematography||Chota K. Naidu|
|Edited by||Gautham Raju|
|Distributed by||R. R. Movie Makers
Bellamkonda Suresh (Vizag)
|Running time||157 min|
|Budget||450 million (US$7.3 million)|
|Box office||1200 million (US$19 million)|
Damarukam is the highest grossing Telugu film of 2012. produced by Venkat on R. R. Movie Makers banner, written and directed by Srinivasa Reddy. Starring Nagarjuna Akkineni, Anushka Shetty play the lead roles and music composed by Devi Sri Prasad
The film was released on 23 November 2012  in over 1400 theaters worldwide and was the biggest opening at box office in Nagarjuna's career.  The film broke all records with 50-days gross of 1980 million. It also became the highest grossing South Indian movie of 2012. It is also the highest grossing movie in Nagarjuna's career. Chota K. Naidu won Filmfare Award for Best Cinematographer - South.
The protagonist of the movie is born with a divine grace of Lord Shiva (Prakash Raj) and the boy's parents are advised to name him as Mallikarjuna as he is destined to accomplish a great work. During his childhood, Mallikarjuna faces a great tragedy as his parents and grandparents are killed by a huge feline creature when they are returning from Kashi. This incident leaves his younger sister, Sailu (Abhinaya) paralyzed from the waist and hence renders her lame (Sailu had a talent for dancing before this incident). This disaster makes Malli to become an atheist.
Meanwhile, the scene shifts to the focus of a demon named Andhakaasura (Ravi Shankar). We see him performing a severe penance to obtain the boon of Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva blesses the demon that he will not interfere in the latter's attempt to sacrifice a virgin girl in order to obtain complete rulership over the 3 worlds. The demon is advised by his aged friend Maayi (Jeeva) that the sacrifice must be made in a month having 2 solar eclipses, in such a way that he has to marry the girl and sacrifice her before the solar eclipse ends. This will render the demon matchless and a master over all the 5 elements.
The story then shifts to Malli (Nagarjuna), now an adult whose motive is to help people and take care of his bedridden sister. He falls in love with Dr. Maheshwari (Anushka Shetty) on a visit to the hospital where his sister is being treated. There are many scenes where the atheist Malli forces the people of his colony who include Rudraksha (Brahmanandam), Ringu Raja (Raghu Babu), President (Krishna Bhagavaan) and others, not to worship, on account of his childhood tragedy. Then, on one occasion, Malli questions Lord Shiva for his condition and drives away in his car, only to meet with an accident. Lord Shiva comes and saves him. Lord Shiva calls himself as Saambayya, befriends Malli and goes to his home.
The demon chooses Dr. Maheshwari as his target for the sacrifice and prevents the Kaapaalikas (who arrive to the temple) from having access to Mahi, on the first solar eclipse day. Malli rescues Mahi from the Kaapaalikas and Mahi's parents entrust Malli to take care of Mahi. Then, Mahi's parents decide to get Mahi married to a relative, Rahul (Ganesh Venkatraman), who is to arrive from US. This advice is given by saint known to Mahi's family. On his arrival to the airport, Andhakaasura kills Rahul in the washroom and takes his form. The demon, now in Rahul's form, enters Mahi's home, and kills 3 dogs who guard Mahi. The demon also paralyzes Mahi's father, when he comes to know the truth about him. He also tires to kill Malli and Mahi, on their way to a temple, but Lord Shiva intervenes by sending his divine vehicle, Nandi who saves Malli. This infuriates the demon, who feels that Lord Shiva has not kept his promise. He challenges the Lord, to which he replies that it was his duty to protect his devotee. The demon then decides to oppose Lord Shiva, so he kills the saint known to Mahi's family, impersonates him and convinces Malli, Mahi and others that Saambayya is not a good person by faking his death at the hands to Saambayya. This makes Malli angry on Saambayya and he returns the ring of friendship given to him by Saambayya.
Finally, Malli convinces Mahi's family that Rahul is actually Andhakaasura. Then, the demon carries Mahi to the spot of sacrifice and prepares for the ritual. Meanwhile, Malli is advised by the Kaapalika chief (Avinash) to worship Lord Shiva, he tells Malli about his purpose of birth to destroy the demon and the means to do it, as he was the reason of the tragedy in Malli's Childhood and Lord Shiva saved him as Saambayya. Malli confronts the demon, is initially defeated, but he heads skyward to get a blessing from Lord Shiva and finally destroys Andhakaasura by piercing the Trident given by Lord Shiva.
- Nagarjuna Akkineni as Mallikarjuna (Malli)
- Anushka Shetty as Maheshwari (Mahi)
- Prakash Raj as Lord Shiva / Sambayya
- Ravi Shankar as Andhakasura Rakshasha
- Ganesh Venkatraman as Rahul
- Brahmanandam as Rudraksha
- M. S. Narayana as Vankara Satyam
- Devan as Vishwanadham, Maheshwari's father
- Brahmaji as Vishwanadham's brother
- Sameer as Mallikarjuna's father
- Giri Babu as Mallikarjuna's grand father
- Raghu Babu as Goke Ring Raju
- Krishna Bhagavan as Colony President
- Prithviraj as Ad film director
- Vijaya Rangaraju
- Thagubothu Ramesh as "full bottle" Vasu
- Duvvasi Mohan
- Jeeva as Maayi
- Charmy as a item number
- Pragati as Rajeshwari, Maheshwari's mother
- Abhinaya as Shailu, Mallikarjuna's sister
- Priya as Mallikarjuna's mother
- Satya Krishnan
- Geetanjali as Mallikarjuna's grand mother
- Amurtha Gowri
- Master Gaurav as Young Malli
|Soundtrack album by Devi Sri Prasad|
at Shilpakala Vedika
Recorded and Mixed at "Brindavan - The Garden of Music"
|Devi Sri Prasad chronology|
Music composed by Devi Sri Prasad. All songs are blockbusters. Music released on ADITYA Music Company.
The audio release was held on 10 September 2012 at Shilpakala Vedika in Hyderabad. Devi Sri Prasad scored the music and there are 10 songs for which lyricists Jonnavittula, Chandra Bose, Sahithi and Bhasakara Bhatla have penned the lyrics. entertainment.in.msn.com gave a moderate review stating "Devi Sri Prasad's 50th album is unique from his usual run-of-the-mill compositions, but not his best. As a fan of the composer, the listener will be satisfied, but as a music lover, one doubts if this album would live up to listeners' expectations." telugu.way2movies.com gave a positive review stating "Damarukam has the mix of devotional tracks on Lord Siva along with the romantic duets and a mass track. The devotion numbers are highly appealing and catch your attention while the duets are likeable with the repeated listen. Sakkubai will be instantly liked by masses. DSP scores well with his 50th album Damarukam." Musicperk.com rated the album 8.5/10 quoting "A must-listen album by DSP. Not a song to be left out".
|3.||"Nestama Nestama"||Bhaskarabhatla||Sri Krishna & Harini||04:56|
|4.||"Reppalapai"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Hariharan & Chitra||03:42|
|5.||"Dheemtana"||Karunakar & Jonnavittula (Mantras)||Shankar Mahadevan||02:08|
|6.||"Sakkubaai Garam Chaai"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Suchith Suresan & Mamta Sharma||03:42|
|7.||"Laali Laali"||Chandrabose||Gopika Poornima||04:47|
|8.||"Bhoonabhontaalake"||Jonnavittula||M. L. R. Karthikeyan||02:02|
|9.||"Kanyakumari"||Sahiti||Jaspreet Jasz & Sunita||04:31|
|10.||"Shiva Shiva Shankara"||Jonnavittula||Shankar Mahadevan||04:52|
The film sees Nagarjuna and Anushka Shetty playing the leads. Ganesh Venkatraman, Prakash Raj, Pradeep Rawat, Brahmanandam, Krishna Bhagavaan, Ahuti Prasad, Ali, Venu Madhav, Raghu Babu, M.S. Narayana and Jeeva are in the cast. Editing is by Gauthgautamam Raju, art is by Ashok, cinematography is by Chota K. Naidu and music is by Devi Sri Prasad., Times of Ap reported that Lakshmi Rai was set to shake legs with Nagarjuna for the introduction song in this movie. The makers then have decided to set Charmy in the place of Lakshmi Rai for the introduction song in this movie. Nagarjuna had shown his six-pack abs for the first time in the movie.
The shooting of the film began on 25 April 2011. The first schedule of the film was in Switzerland, where Nagarjuna would romance Anushka Shetty to the choreography of Raju Sundaram. On 29 September 2012, The theatrical trailer of this socio-fantasy film has released with the movie Rebel, which graced the theatres that day. According to the producer Dr Venkat, the trailer has received a huge response from the film goers. This movie is the first Telugu film ever with over 70 minutes of special effects. It is learnt that the movie is loaded with some of most breathtaking visual effects ever for an Indian movie and is going to set a new benchmark as far as VFx standards go in India. A team of visual effects experts at Firefly Creative Studio have been working on the movie for over a year now. Firefly, the company which worked on special effects for films like Anji, Arundathi, Magadheera & Anaganaga O Dheerudu. Vyshnavi Films has bagged the overseas theatrical.
idlebrain.com jeevi gave a rating of 3/5 stating "First half of the film is good, Plus points of the film are Nagarjuna and the grandeur". DNA India gave the film 2.5 and Times of India gave 3.5 ratings.
The film opened very well 90% - 100% occupancy in everywhere collected 123 million in its first day.In India alone it collected 79 million in its opening day which was the biggest opening for telugu movie. It grossed above 980 million in first few weeks and was declared Blockbuster at the box office.
|2nd South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Cinematographer||Chota K. Naidu||Nominated|
|Best Actor in a Supporting Role||Prakash Raj||Nominated|
- "Review: Damarukam (Telugu) - Entertainment - DNA". Retrieved 24 November 2012.. Dnaindia.com.
- "Damarukam: Nagarjuna's film is a typical commercial mass masala affair- Telugu News- IBNLive". Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Damarukam first day collections - TOI". TOI. 24 November 2012..
- "Dhamarukam Dubbed in Hindi as Shiva the Super Hero 2". http://southymania.blogspot.com. 5 September 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Audio Review : Damarukam – DSP is in good form". 123telugu.com. 1 January 1998. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Ians (14 September 2012). "Music Review: 'Damarukam'". Entertainment.in.msn.com. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Damarukam Music Review". Telugu.way2movies.com. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Venkatrangan .R. (23 September 2012). "Damarukam | Musicperk - Trending news, analysis, reviews, ratings and exclusive content for music". Musicperk. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Social Post (11 September 2012). "Nagarjuna's Damarukam music launched in a grand way | News - Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Ganesh Venkatraman in Anushka's 'Damarukam'". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "'Damarukam' begins on a brisk note". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "Lakshmi Rai to shake legs with Nagarjuna". 22 August 2012. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "Lakshmi Rai misses out, Charmee grabs". mirchi9. 28 August 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Nagarjuna unveils his six packs - Times of India". Times of India. 17 October 2012..
- "'Damarukam' to begin shoot in Europe soon". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "'Damarukam' from April 25". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- Social Post (29 September 2012). "Nagarjuna's Damarukam theatrical trailer gets huge response | News - Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Karthik Pasupulate (15 September 2012). "Damarukam has 70 mins of VFX". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Damarukam first day collections - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- Sashidhar AS, TNN 23 Nov 2012, 12.11PM IST. "Damarukam Telugu movie review highlights". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Dhamarukam review". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Review: Damarukam (Telugu) - Entertainment - DNA". Retrieved 24 November 2012.. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 24 November 2012.