||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (April 2013)|
7 November 1981 
Mangalore, Karnataka, India
|Education||Bachelor of Computer Applications|
|Height||5'10 inches |
Sweety Shetty (born on 7 November 1981), better known by her stage name Anushka Shetty is an Indian film actress, who works for the South Indian film industry. She made her acting debut in the 2005 Telugu film Super and rose to fame following her performance in Vikramarkudu (2006) before foraying in Tamil Cinema.
She received high critical acclaim for her portrayal of the titular character in Arundhati and as Saroja in Vedam which fetched her two Filmfare, one Nandi and two CineMAA Awards. After starring in the Tamil blockbuster Singam (2010), her biggest commercial success, she became one of South India's most leading actresses. Her acting in Vaanam (2011), Deiva Thirumagal (2011) and Thaandavam (2012) proved her skills in Kollywood thus she became South Indian cinema's contemperory and most wanted actress.
Anushka Shetty was born as Sweety Shetty on 7 November 1981 in Mangalore. Shetty is an ethnic Bunt hailing from the landed Bellipady Uramalu Guthu family. Her parents are Prafulla and A.N. Vittal Shetty. She has two brothers Gunaranjan Shetty and Sai Ramesh Shetty who is a cosmetic surgeon. She attended her schooling in Bangalore. She did her Bachelor of Computer Applications at Mount Carmel College, Bangalore. She was also a yoga instructor and has trained under yoga guru Bharat Thakur.
Early career (2005–2008)
Shetty made her acting debut in Puri Jagannath's 2005 Telugu film Super alongside Akkineni Nagarjuna. The same year, she acted in another film Mahanandi, which was a moderate success at box office. In 2006, she had four releases, the first being S. S. Rajamouli's Vikramarkudu pairing Ravi Teja for the first time in her career, in which she portrayed the character Neeraja Goswami. The film went on to become very successful and got her much recognition, that eventually made her very popular in Andhra Pradesh and as a leading actress in Telugu. She next had starred in the film Astram, a remake of the 1999 Hindi film Sarfarosh, following which she debuted in the Tamil film industry, acting in the Sundar C.-directed action flick Rendu, sharing screen space with R. Madhavan. Later that year, she made a special appearance in A. R. Murugadoss' directorial debut in Telugu, Stalin.
Her first release in 2007 was Lakshyam, after which she starred in Raghava Lawrence's Don opposite Nagarjuna again. The former, in particular, succeeded at the box office. In 2008 she had appeared in six films. Okka Magaadu was the first release, in which she played one of three female leads. Her subsequent releases Swagatam alongside Jagapati Babu and Bhumika Chawla and Baladur opposite Ravi Teja garnered poor reviews and box office returns. She next appeared in the film Souryam with Gopichand which became a box office hit.
Critical acclaim and success in Tollywood (2009)
In 2009, Shetty first starred in the blockbuster hit, the fantasy film Arundhati. In this heroine-centric film, she essayed two roles for the first time. It was a critical as well as commercial success. Critics heaped praise on Anushka for her performance. Idlebrain's Jeevi wrote that she was "simply amazing in two roles" and that she did "exceptionally well with subtle yet impact creating performance", while Rediff claimed that she was "brilliant and breathtaking in parts", labelling Arundhati as "totally Anushka's film". Sify noted that she was "at her best with great performance". She went on to win the Nandi Special Jury Award and the Filmfare Best Actress Award among other accolades.
Her next film, the action flick Billa, a remake of the 2007 Blockbuster Tamil namesake, itself a remake of the 1978 Hindi film Don, featured Shetty in a role contrary to that in Arundati. The movie was an average success. Idle brain noted, Anushka is good in slim figure and she is extremely glamorous in revealing dresses. Her final release in 2009 was her second Tamil feature film, the action masala flick Vettaikkaran with leading Tamil actor Vijay and it was an average venture at box-office without making any impact.
New Low in Tollywood (2010)
She had an array of releases in 2010. She portrayed a prostitute in Krish's critically acclaimed anthology film Vedam, her first Telugu film of the year and only hit, winning accolades for her performance, including her second consecutive Filmfare Award and other awards as well, following which she was selected to reprise the character in its Tamil remake, Vaanam as well. Her next Telugu film, Panchakshari, was another heroine-centric film where she again performed double roles, however the movie failed at the box office. This was followed by the action comedy Khaleja, where she starred opposite Mahesh Babu for the first time in her career, Nagavalli, the Telugu remake of the Kannada film Aptharakshaka which she portrayed as famous role as Chandramukhi which she paired again with Venkatesh and Ragada paired opposite Akkineni Nagarjuna followed. She also made special appearances in the movies Kedi and Thakita Thakita. However all these 2010 releases failed to make an impact at the box office.
Success and stardom in Kollywood (2010-present)
Vaanam became her first 2011 release, which received positive critical response. A critic from Sify wrote that "Anushka is outstanding as the commercial sex worker as she is able to bring out a life-like performance." and other critics too highly praised her performance as Saroja. She next starred in A. L. Vijay's Deiva Thirumagal with Vikram for the first time in her career. The drama centers on the characters of Krishna, a mentally retarded father and his daughter Nila. The film became a critical and commercial success, fetching her laurels for her portrayal as Anuradha, an advocate. Oneindi astated,Anushka Shetty's character in the film had good scope for performance without being glamorous.
In 2012,Anushka again co-starred in A. L. Vijay's action drama Thaandavam alongside Vikram and Amy Jackson. In The Hindu review film critic Malathi Rangarajan described her as "perfect ten for the choice of cast" and further stated that "the romance between Vikram and Anushka is a beautiful feature of Thaandavam." The movie did average business.
After two years long gap in Telugu films, she made a grand comeback in 2012. She appeared alongside Akkineni Nagarjuna in Dhamarukam, a fantasy film. A critic from The Times of India said that Anushka "has little to do as far as performance goes and does a good job of upping the glam quotient". The movie became a failure.
Her first release in 2013 was Alex Pandian, an action-masala film, directed by Suraj, co-starring Karthi. Critics noted that Anuskha is colourful and glamourous in the movie and the movie was a huge disaster. Her second release was Koratala Siva's Mirchi opposite Prabhas receives positive talk among the movie busters.Idlebrain claimed,Anushka is adorable in a naughty village belle, the dubbing also seems great and the character Vennela is the best role among her recent role in movies. Rediff wrote, Anushka is bubbly and peps up the film considerably. The movie also became a success in Tollywood.
After the subsequent releases of her films in early of 2013.Then she signed Singam II second time pairing opposite Suriya its a sequel for her past Blockbuster movie Singam along with actress Hansika Motwani which set to release in 14 June. Then she also started signing magnum opus projects such as Selvaraghavan's Irandam Ulagam opposite Arya which is slated to release in august . She has signed another mega budget heroine oriented Gunashekar's bilingual Rani Rudrama Devishe portrayed the role of kakatiya dynasty queen ruler rani Rudhramadevi opposite actor Rana Daggubati, which is set to start shooting in February 2013. After all these movies Anushka also signed SS Rajamouli's trilingual movie Baahubali pairing opposite for the third time popular actor Prabhas also magnum opus project.
For the first time in her career she dubs her own voice for herself in the movie Mirchi and also she is set her voice to dubs for herself in the movie Irandam Ulagam is a blingual movie under direction Selvaragavan. She also taking Tamil lessons classes.
In addition of films, sweety also endorses a large number of brands. She is the brand ambassador for head and shoulder in South. She also the brand ambassador of some jewellery stores like MBS Jewellers. She also endorsed the Colgate brand in Tamil and Telugu by Replacing Trisha Krishnan alongside with stylish star Allu Arjun.
|2009||Arundhati||Arundhati / Jejamma||Telugu||Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Telugu
Nandi Special Jury Award
|2010||Vedam||Saroja||Telugu||Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Telugu|
|2010||Panchakshari||Panchakshari / Honey||Telugu|
|2010||Thakita Thakita||Herself||Telugu||Special appearance|
|2010||Nagavalli||Chandramukhi||Telugu||Nominated— Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Telugu|
|2011||Deiva Thirumagal||Anuradha Ragunathan||Tamil||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Tamil|
|2013||Singam II||Kavya Duraisingam||Tamil||Releasing on June 14, 2013|
Awards and nominations
- Other Awards and Honours
- 2011: Kalaimamani Award by Tamil Nadu State Government
- 2011: TSR Lalitha Kala Parishath Award
- 2012:Ranked 3# Bangalore Times Most Desirable Women 2012-Kannada
- 2012:Ranked 3# Hyderabad Times Most Desirable Woman 2012.-Telugu
- 2012:Ranked 5# Chennai Times Most Desirable Women 2012 - Tamil
- 2012 :Ranked 45# India's top 50 most desired women of 2012.
- "Anushka — chitchat — Telugu film heroine". Idlebrain.com. 20 June 2006. Archived from the original on 10 June 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Anushka Shetty celebrates 29th birthday". newsofap. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- "Anushka interview — chitchat — Telugu film actress". Idlebrain.com. 21 June 2007. Archived from the original on 10 June 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Meet super-talented Anushka Shetty! - Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 31 May 2010. Archived from the original on 15 July 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Top Telugu Actresses of 2010 - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 20 December 2010. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Top Telugu actresses of 2009 - Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 29 December 2009. Archived from the original on 11 May 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- Vinobha KT (24 December 2011). "Household Kola draws Tulu belle to Bellipady". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Film Career of Actress Anushka Shetty Biography, Profile". Tamilspider.com. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "top 10 commercial hits in Telugu for yar 2006 - telugu cinema news". Idlebrain.com. 27 December 2006. Archived from the original on 10 June 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "top 10 films in 2007 at box office- telugu cinema news". Idlebrain.com. 28 December 2007. Archived from the original on 10 June 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "News : Heroines of the year: Anushka, Trisha". Telugucinema.com. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "A.P Box-office 2008". TeluguCinema.Com. 27 December 2008. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "Arundhati review — Telugu cinema Review — Anushka, Sonu Sood". Idlebrain.com. 16 January 2009. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "Review: Arundhati". Rediff.com. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "Movie Review:Arundhati". Sify.com. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "Movie review: Vaanam". Sify. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Deiva Thirumagal: a sensitive poem on celluloid". The Hindu. 16 July 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Thaandavam: Fiery dance of the righteous". The Hindu. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Dhamarukam Movie review". Times of India. 23 November 2012. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Karthi-Anushka starrer starts rolling!". Sify.com. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- https://www.idlebrain.com movie archive mirchi.html
- https:www.rediff.com movies report south-review-mirchi-has-an-overdose-of-violence.html
- "Anushka says she is part of a Selva film". Sify.com. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "Anushka to do a Tamil-Telugu period film?". Times of India. 6 October 2012. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- TNN (2013-04-30). "Prabhas to play Prithviraj in Bahubali". The Times Of India. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Anushka Shetty|