|Traded as||ASX: DOW|
2001 as Downer EDI
|Key people||Grant Fenn, CEO and Managing Director|
Downer EDI (Downer) is an Australian Stock Exchange Top-100 company that provides engineering and infrastructure management services to the public and private transport, energy, infrastructure, communications and resources sectors, across Australia, New Zealand and the Asia Pacific region.
Downer originated in New Zealand in 1933 as Downer & Co, a privately owned company that was to become the foundation of Downer’s engineering division. Downer & Co was established by an engineer, the late Arnold Fielder Downer, CBE, and focused on providing engineering and construction services to the public and private infrastructure sectors in New Zealand, including the New Zealand Public Works Department. In 1964, Downer merged with A&G Price to form Cable Price Downer and in 1996 the company purchased Works Corporation, a state-owned enterprise formed from the civil construction arm of the New Zealand Ministry of Works and Development. The present company's tyre tread 'W' logo dates from the purchase of Works.
Downer & Co played a significant role in the creation of a number of major public infrastructure assets in New Zealand, including the road, rail, water and power systems. Notable heritage projects in New Zealand involving Downer & Co include the Homer Tunnel accessing Milford Sound (1935–1940), Rimutaka Tunnel (1951–1955), Cook Strait Ferry Terminal for passenger and freight operations (1960), Lower Nihotupu Dam (1948), Lower Wairarapa Valley flood prevention scheme (1964–1984) and New Plymouth Power Station (1972).
Today, Downer is a supplier of services to the infrastructure, mining, metals and energy sectors in New Zealand, Australia, the Asia-Pacific region and the United Kingdom. It provides a range of services to its clients across the whole life cycle of their physical infrastructure assets, from “front end” consulting and design through to the creation, operation, maintenance, upgrade/expansion and final decommissioning.
The Downer Group includes:
- Downer Infrastructure- provides engineering services from design and planning through to operation and maintenance with prime activities in contracting, services and projects:
- Focused on resources, energy, transport, oil/gas/petrochemical, technology, telecommunications, water and environment markets; and infrastructure services such as roads, rail track, water supply, water treatment and public open spaces
- Operates across Australia, New Zealand and the greater Asia-Pacific region
- Downer Mining- a major provider of mining, mine planning and mine management services:
- Capabilities include consulting, mining (open cut and underground), mine planning and management, explosives manufacture, supply and blasting services and asset maintenance and management
- Operates in Australia and selected locations globally
- Downer Rail - a provider of passenger and freight rolling stock and associated maintenance services in Australia:
- It offers services in the design, manufacture, refurbishment, overhaul, operations and maintenance of diesel electric locomotives, electric locomotives, electric and diesel multiple (passenger) units, rail wagons, traction motors and related services
- Operates primarily in Australia
- History page on Downer group website, viewed 2013-01-30