|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
|Traded as||ASX: STO|
|Founded||18 March 1954|
|Headquarters||60 Flinders Street
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
|Key people||David Knox, CEO|
|Revenue||A$2.762 billion (2008)|
|Net income||A$1.65 billion (2008)|
Santos Ltd. is a large Australian oil and gas exploration company. Its name is an acronym for South Australia Northern Territory Oil Search.
Santos is Australia's largest domestic gas producer, supplying sales gas to all mainland Australian states and territories, ethane to Sydney, and oil and liquids to domestic and international customers. The company's core business was built on gas and oil discoveries in the Cooper Basin, predominantly spanning north-east South Australia and South West Queensland. These gas reserves are the main source of natural gas to Australia's eastern states. Santos is the primary venture partner and operator of natural gas processing facilities at Moomba (in South Australia) and Ballera (in Queensland), and pipelines connecting those facilities with Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Rockhampton and Mount Isa.
Santos also loads product onto small Cape vessels at Port Bonython in South Australia.
The company also participates in on- and off-shore oil and gas exploration and production ventures throughout Australia, in the Timor Gap, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, India, Bangladesh, Egypt, Vietnam and Kyrgyzstan.
Santos has an interest in the Darwin LNG project, exporting liquefied natural gas to customers in Japan. It is also developer of the Gladstone LNG project in Queensland and is a partner in the PNG LNG project.
Santos's production for 2008 was 54.4 million barrels (8,650,000 m3) of oil equivalent. Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortizations and exploration expenses for the period was A$2.8 billion, representing after tax profit of A$1.65 billion. In mid-2006, it had a market capitalization of A$8.7 billion, making it one of Australia's top 30 companies.
Santos sponsors many community activities, events and projects in jurisdictions where they operate commercially.
- Adelaide Symphony Orchestra
- Santos Tour Down Under UCI World Tour cycling event
- OzAsia Festival
- Santos Stadium athletics venue
- Santos Conservation Centre at the Adelaide Zoo
- Botanic Gardens of Adelaide
- University of Adelaide - Australian School of Petroleum
Sidoarjo mud flow
- "Santo Reports 2008 Fourth Quarter and Full Year Results". OilVoice. 2008-02-20. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- "Santos". OilVoice. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- OzAsia Festival website (accessed 2013.11.01)
- South Australian Government - Environment Department "Botanic Gardens of Adelaide - About Us - Our Partners" Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- The University of Adelaide "Australian School of Petroleum | Sponsors" Retrieved 2013-11-2
- Santos says mud disaster funds appropriate, ABC news September 15, 2008