Location of Edgewood, Kentucky
|• Total||4.2 sq mi (10.8 km2)|
|• Land||4.2 sq mi (10.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||863 ft (263 m)|
|• Density||2,250.8/sq mi (869.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0491562|
Edgewood was incorporated by act of the state assembly on November 15, 1948. In 1968, it merged with two nearby cities – Summit Hills Heights (inc. 1962) and Pius Heights (inc. 1965). The new city government began operation on January 1, 1969.
Edgewood is located at (39.005153, -84.565780).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.2 square miles (11 km2), of which 4.2 square miles (11 km2) is land and 0.20% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,400 people, 3,099 households, and 2,693 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,250.8 people per square mile (868.3/km²). There were 3,149 housing units at an average density of 754.0 per square mile (290.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city is 97.74% White, 1.23% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.19% from other races, and 0.55% from two or more races. 0.73% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
|U.S. Census Bureau|
There were 3,099 households out of which 44.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 78.4% were married couples living together, 6.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 13.1% were non-families. 11.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.03 and the average family size was 3.29.
In the city the population was spread out with 29.1% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 27.9% from 45 to 64, and 8.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 97.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $76,218, and the median income for a family was $80,578. Males had a median income of $52,739 versus $34,327 for females. The per capita income for the city was $29,962. About 0.7% of families and 1.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.0% of those under age 18 and 0.9% of those age 65 or over.
Points Of Interest
- Presidents Park - A 20 acre park located at 283 Dudley Road. The park has baseball fields, hiking trails and basketball courts.
- St. Elizabeth Hospital - A full service hospital located at 1 Medical Village Drive. St. E has been rated one of the top 50 hospitals in the U.S. from 2006-2011 by HealthGrades.
- Freedom Park - A second park that has volleyball, baseball, soccer, along with an open field. It is located by the intersection of Dudley Road and Thomas More Parkway.
- Tom Browning, the only Cincinnati Reds pitcher to pitch a perfect game, formerly lived in Edgewood.
- Michael Cavanaugh, Halo Reach pro.
- City of Edgewood Retrieved on 2010-03-27
- Commonwealth of Kentucky. Office of the Secretary of State. Land Office. "Edgewood, Kentucky". Accessed 25 Jul 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Kentucky State Data Center Retrieved on 2010-03-27
- U.S. Census Bureau Retrieved on 2010-03-27
- "Presidents Park". Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- "Health Grades". Retrieved 27 February 2011.