Emanuele Ruspoli, 1st Prince of Poggio Suasa
|1st Prince of Poggio Suasa|
|Prince Emanuele Ruspoli.|
|Prince of Poggio Suasa|
|Successor||Prince Mario Ruspoli|
|Spouse||Princess Caterina Vogoride-Conachi
Josephine Mary Beers-Curtis
|Issue||Prince Costantino Ruspoli
Prince Eugenio Ruspoli
Prince Mario Ruspoli
Princess Caterina Ruspoli
Princess Margherita Ruspoli
Prince Camillo Ruspoli
Prince Francesco Ruspoli
Princess Vittoria Ruspoli
Prince Eugenio Ruspoli
|Emanuele Francesco Maria dei Principi Ruspoli|
|Father||Prince Bartolomeo Ruspoli|
December 30, 1837|
|Died||29 November 1899
|Religion||Roman Catholic Church|
Emanuele Francesco Maria dei Principi Ruspoli (Rome, December 30, 1837 – November 29, 1899) was the 1st Principe di Poggio Suasa, son of Bartolomeo dei Principi Ruspoli and wife Carolina Ratti and paternal grandson of Francesco Ruspoli, 3rd Prince of Cerveteri and second wife Countess Maria Leopoldina von Khevenhüller-Metsch and ancestor of the Line III of the Principi Ruspoli. His great-uncle was Cardinal Bartolomeo Ruspoli. He was Nobile di Viterbo e di Orvieto, Patrizio Romano and Prince of Holy Roman Empire.
The prince died of complications of his diabetes.
Marriages and children
He married firstly in Rome, June 10, 1864 Princess Caterina Vogoride-Conachi (Athens, April 2, 1831 – of paludism, Genoa, February 22, 1870), a Romanian noblewoman, (former wife of Prince Nicolae Vogoride, Kaimakan of Moldavia, and daughter of boyar poet, prose writer and Great Chancellor Costache Conachi and wife Smaranda Negri-Donici), by whom he had five children:
- Costantino dei Principi Ruspoli (Rome, January 14, 1865 – Rome, April 29, 1889), unmarried and without issue.
- Eugenio dei Principi Ruspoli (Ţigăneşti/Ziganesk, January 6, 1866 – killed by an elephant while hunting near Burgi, Somalia, December 4, 1893), unmarried and without issue.
- Mario Ruspoli, 2nd Prince of Poggio Suasa
- Caterina dei Principi Ruspoli (Ţigăneşti/Ziganesk, November 15, 1868 – Berna, August 12, 1912), married in Rome, January 8, 1887 Albert, Comte de la Forest-Divonne (Paris, December 18, 1859 – January 11, 1943), by whom she had a son and a daughter:
- Margherita dei Principi Ruspoli (Genoa, February 7, 1870 – June 5, 1970), married in Rome, June 6, 1889 Walfredo, Conte della Gherardesca, Conte di Donoratico e Castagneto (1865 – 1932), and had issue. Her mother Caterina, died fifteen days later she was born. Margherita was one of the lady-in-waiting to Queen Elena of Italy. Margherita died when she was over a hundred years old.
He married secondly in Rome, July 14, 1878 Laura Caracciolo dei Principi di Torella, Duchi di Lavello, Marchesi di Bella, daughter of Camillo Caracciolo and wife Countess Anna Ivanovna Loginova, (Turin, September 17, 1854 – of post childbirth complications, Rome, January 16, 1882), by whom he had an only son:
He married thirdly in Paris, June 18, 1885 Josephine Mary Beers-Curtis (Paris, January 27, 1861 – 1943), an English American, daughter of Joseph David Beers-Curtis and wife Elizabeth Shipton-Giles, by whom he had three children:
- Francesco Alvaro Maria Giorgio Ruspoli, 1st Duke of Morignano
- Vittoria Emilia Ipsicratea Agricola dei Principi Ruspoli (Rome, December 31, 1892 – Rome, January 13, 1982), married in Rome, December 4, 1912 and divorced in 1930 Roger Richard Charles Henri Étienne de Dampierre, Vicomte de Dampierre, 2nd Duca di San Lorenzo Nuovo and Nobile di Viterbo (Tours, May 9, 1892 – Chaumont-sur-Tharonne, December 14, 1975), and had two daughters and one son.
- Victoire Jeanne Joséphine Pierre Marie Emmanuelle de Dampierre (Rome, November 8, 1913 – Rome, May 3, 2012), married firstly in Rome, March 4, 1935 and divorced in Bucharest in 1947 (recognized by the Italian courts in 1949 but never recognized in Spain, where divorce was forbidden) as his first wife Infante Jaime, Duke of Segovia, and had issue, and secondly in Vienna, November 21, 1949 Antonio Sozzani, without issue.
- Richard Roger Emmanuel Étienne Pierre de Dampierre, Vicomte de Dampierre, 3rd and last Duca di San Lorenzo Nuovo (Paris, January 13, 1916 – Fleurance, November 30, 2004), married in Biarritz, July 24, 1937 María de las Mercedes de Pedroso y Sturdza, and had issue.
- Yolande Beatrix de Dampierre (Rome, July 12, 1918 – Rome, January 29, 1990), married in Rome, January 19, 1940 Luigi, Conte Miani di Angoris, and had issue.
- Eugenio Mario Giuseppe Bartolomeo dei Principi Ruspoli (Senigallia, July 26, 1894 – Rome, 1978), married in Collesalvetti, January 22, 1927 Mary Dorothea Du Pré-Labouchère (Paris, February 4, 1884 – in domestic accident, Rome, September 27, 1944), and had an only daughter:
- Grand Officer of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus (December 26, 1878)
- Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus (September 3, 1893)
- Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown of Italy
- Silver Medal of Military Valor (1859)
- Commemorative Medal of the Wars of Italian Independence
- Commemorative Medal of the Unity of Italy
Cultural and charitable interests
- Senato della Repubblica (in italian).
- Carlo Emanuele Ruspoli. Retratos. Madrid. Real Academia Matritense de Heráldica y Genealogía, 2011, page 284. ISBN 9788488833068
- Vogoride (in romanian).
- House of De la Forest-Divonne (in french).
- Torella dei Lombardi vs Torella del Sannio
- I Caracciolo di Torella
- Mary Dorothea Labouchère
- Emanuele Ruspoli on a genealogical site
- Josephine Mary Curtiss' relation to President George Walker Bush
- Retratos (by Carlo Emanuele Ruspoli) (Spanish)
|1st Prince of Poggio Suasa
Mario Ruspoli, 2nd Prince of Poggio Suasa