Epsilon Eridani b
|Extrasolar planet||List of extrasolar planets|
orbiting its parent sun
|Right ascension||(α)||03h 32m 55.8442s|
|Declination||(δ)||−09° 27′ 29.744″|
|Distance||10.5 ± 0.03 ly
(3.218 ± 0.009 pc)
|Semimajor axis||(a)||~3.4 AU|
|Orbital period||(P)||~2500 d|
|Discovery date||7 August 2000|
|Discoverer(s)||Hatzes et al.|
|Discovery method||Doppler spectroscopy|
|Discovery site||United States|
18 Eridani b, Gliese 144 b, HD 22049 b, HIP 16537 b, HR 1084 b
The planet's existence was suspected by a Canadian team led by Bruce Campbell and Gordon Walker in the early 1990s, but their observations were not definitive enough to make a solid discovery. Its formal discovery was announced on August 7, 2000 by a team led by Artie Hatzes. The discoverers gave its mass as 1.2 ± 0.33 times that of Jupiter, with a mean distance of 3.4 AU from the star. Observers, including Geoffrey Marcy, suggested that more information on the star's Doppler noise behaviour created by its large and varying magnetic field was needed before the planet could be confirmed.
In 2006, the Hubble Space Telescope made Astrometric measurements and confirmed the existence of the planet. These observations indicated that the planet has a mass 1.5 times that of Jupiter and shares the same plane as the outer dust disk observed around the star. The derived orbit from these measurements is eccentric: either 0.25 or 0.7.
Meanwhile the Spitzer Space Telescope detected an asteroid belt at roughly 3 AU from the star. In 2009 Brogi's team claimed that the proposed planet's eccentricity and this belt were inconsistent: the planet would pass through the asteroid belt and rapidly clear it of material.
The planet and the inner belt may be reconciled if that belt's material had migrated in from the outer comet belt (also known to exist).
- Hatzes, Artie P.; Cochran, William D.; McArthur, Barbara; Baliunas, Sallie L.; Walker, Gordon A. H.; Campbell, Bruce; Irwin, Alan W.; Yang, Stephenson; Kürster, Martin; Endl, Michael; Els, Sebastian; Butler, R. Paul; Marcy, Geoffrey W.; Cochran; McArthur; Baliunas; Walker; Campbell; Irwin; Yang; Kürster; Endl; Els; Butler; Marcy (2000). "Evidence for a Long-Period Planet Orbiting ε Eridani". The Astrophysical Journal 544 (2): L145–L148. arXiv:astro-ph/0009423. Bibcode:2000ApJ...544L.145H. doi:10.1086/317319.
- Marcy,, Geoffrey W.; et al. (August 7–11, 2000). "Planetary Messages in the Doppler Residuals (Invited Review)". In A. Penny. "Planetary Systems in the Universe, Proceedings of IAU Symposium #202". Manchester, United Kingdom. p. 20–28. Bibcode:2004IAUS..202...20M.
- "Hubble Zeroes in on Nearest Known Exoplanet". Hubble News Desk. 2006-10-09. Retrieved 2006-10-10.
- Benedict et al. (2006). "The Extrasolar Planet ε Eridani b: Orbit and Mass". The Astronomical Journal 132 (5): 2206–2218. arXiv:astro-ph/0610247. Bibcode:2006AJ....132.2206B. doi:10.1086/508323. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- Butler et al. (2006). The Astrophysical Journal 646: 505. doi:10.1086/504701.
- Backman, D.; Marengo, M.; Stapelfeldt, K.; Su, K.; Wilner, D.; Dowell, C. D.; Watson, D.; Stansberry, J.; Rieke, G.; Megeath, T.; Fazio, G.; Werner, M.; Marengo; Stapelfeldt; Su; Wilner; Dowell; Watson; Stansberry; Rieke; Megeath; Fazio; Werner (2009). "Epsilon Eridani's Planetary Debris Disk: Structure and Dynamics Based on Spitzer and Caltech Submillimeter Observatory Observations". The Astrophysical Journal 690 (2): 1522–1538. arXiv:0810.4564. Bibcode:2009ApJ...690.1522B. doi:10.1088/0004-637X/690/2/1522.
- Brogi, M.; Marzari, F.; Paolicchi, P.; Marzari; Paolicchi (2009). "Dynamical stability of the inner belt around Epsilon Eridani". Astronomy and Astrophysics 499 (2): L13–L16. Bibcode:2009A&A...499L..13B. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/200811609.
- Martin Reidemeister, Alexander V. Krivov, Christopher C. Stark, Jean-Charles Augereau, Torsten Loehne, Sebastian Mueller; Krivov; Stark; Augereau; Löhne; Müller (2010). "The cold origin of the warm dust around epsilon Eridani". Astronomy & Astrophysics 527: A57. arXiv:1011.4882. Bibcode:2011A&A...527A..57R. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201015328.