|Owned by||Rural Media Group, Inc.|
|Slogan||We Are Family|
|Affiliates||has several over-the-air low-powered and digital subchannels affiliates|
|Formerly called||National Christian Network (1979-1988)|
|Replaced by||Rural TV|
FamilyNet is primarily a cable television network with several low-power broadcast television affiliates. The network was founded in 1979 as the National Christian Network, and took the name FamilyNet in 1988 under the ownership of Jerry Falwell. The channel was acquired by InTouch Ministries in October 2007 from the Southern Baptist Convention. In December 2009, FamilyNet was acquired by Robert A. Schuller's ComStar Media Fund. In 2010, FamilyNet was spun out into its own company, with Robert A. Schuller as the chairman.
FamilyNet carries programming geared to families of all ages, involving a mix of lifestyle programming, game shows, classic sitcoms and dramas, and movies.
The network reaches 15.7 million television households throughout the United States through a variety of sources, including broadcast affiliates, cable, and over internet television on the SkyAngel platform. It won a 2008 Telly Award.
- Judie Byrd's Kitchen, a cooking program.
- Wretched, a theology and commentary program hosted by Todd Friel.
- Liberty University home football games
- Your Health, natural/alternative health advice
In October 2009, FamilyNet began a Saturday morning kids programming block called FunTown, featuring airings of Underdog and The Bullwinkle Show and hosted by FamilyNet's original characters, Groove and Sluggo.
Currently, a large portion of the FamilyNet schedule in the afternoons, evenings, and primetime consists of syndicated programming such as Mr. Belvedere, The Bob Newhart Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, WKRP in Cincinnati, and Don't Forget The Lyrics!. Original programming airs in the morning and early afternoon times.
In April 2009, FamilyNet.com added a FamilyNet Community internet forum for viewers to discuss programming, family-related topics, and participate in blogs and games.
- American Christian Television System
- National Christian Network
- PTL Satellite Network
- Vision Interfaith Satellite Network
- "Religious Networks Change for Profits". Broadcasting & Cable 114 (19): 51. 1988-05-09. ISSN 1068-6827.
- Noah, Mickey (October 29, 2007). "NAMB completes FamilyNet sale to In Touch". Baptist Press.
- "FamilyNet TV and Radio Network Sold to Robert A. Schuller's ComStar". Black Christian News. December 29, 2009. Retrieved November 13, 2012.
- "Celebrated Televangelist Robert Schuller Named Chairman of FamilyNet TV". March 23, 2011.
- Reynolds, Mike (January 11, 2009). "FamilyNet Adds Classic Sitcoms To New Weeknight Lineup". Multichannel News. Broadcast Newsroom. Retrieved February 2, 2009.
- "PAEC's Florida Education Channel Receives Telly Awards". Foster Folly News. April 13, 2009. Retrieved April 13, 2009.
- "Rural Media Group Purchases FamilyNet". Melodika. October 24, 2012. Retrieved November 13, 2012.