Fat Tony (rapper)
Fat Tony (Photo: Jessica Lehrman)
|Birth name||Anthony Lawson Jude Ifeanyichukwu Obiawunaotu|
|Born||March 24, 1988|
|Origin||Third Ward, Houston, Texas|
|Years active||2005 – Present|
|Labels||Young One Records|
|Associated acts||Tom Cruz
Big Baby Gandhi
Fat Tony released Double Dragon on June 1, 2012; a collaborative free album with producer Tom Cruz through Young One Records. Double Dragon features Fat Tony and Tom Cruz performing as a duo and is entirely produced by Tom Cruz. The album is a precursor to Fat Tony's forthcoming sophomore album Smart Ass Black Boy which will be released June 11, 2013 through Young One Records. In November 2012, Fat Tony released the first single from Smart Ass Black Boy entitled "BKNY".  In March 2013, Vice Magazine announced the Smart Ass Black Boy album release date and premiered the second single entitled "Hood Party" featuring Kool A.D. and Despot.
Fat Tony's debut album RABDARGAB was released October 19, 2010 and featured production entirely from Tom Cruz (Shaka Girvan) formerly of Atlanta based rap group Supreeme. The album features appearances by Murs, Negashi Armada aka Blunt Fang from Supreeme, Charly East, Bo. P, Kam Franklin, and Tom Cruz.
RABDARGAB is a reference to a late 1990s Houston Independent School District campaign aimed at elementary school students to promote literacy by offering $1 to students in exchange for book reports. The acronym stands for "Read a Book – Do A Report – Get a Buck." With the release of this album, Fat Tony ran a promotion entitled LISDARGAB (Listen, Do a Review, Get a Buck) where Fat Tony undertook to send anyone who emailed him a review for RABDARGAB a dollar bill in the mail.
The album RABDARGAB was preceded by a mixtape release entitled RABDARGAB: The EPreview mixed by Fat Tony's DJ iPod Ammo. The mix tape featured collaborations with Das Racist, Juiceboxxx, HOSPITAL, Jade <3, Tecla, Smash Bro, and more.
Fat Tony won the 2010, 2009 and 2008 Houston Press Music Awards' Best Underground Hip Hop award, and has been recognized in URB's "Next 1000", a list of emerging new artists anticipated to breakthrough. He won the Houston Press "Best Underground Rapper" award three times, as of 2011.
- 2013 - Smart Ass Black Boy
- 2012 – Double Dragon (Fat Tony & Tom Cruz)
- 2011 – SCREWDARGAB (Chopped-Up, Not Slopped Up by OG RON C)
- 2010 – RABDARGAB
- 2010 – Like, Hell Yeah CD-R
- 2009 – The Creation of Fat Tony CD-R
- 2008 – Love Life
- 2010 – RABDARGAB: The EPreview
- 2012 - MiDi Murder EP - Hot Sugar
- 2012 – No1 2 Look Up 2 – Big Baby Gandhi
- 2012 – Nehru Jackets – Himanshu Suri aka Heems
- 2011 – Live. Love. ASAP – ASAP Rocky
- 2010 - Journeyman from the Heartland - Juiceboxxx
- 2010 - Sit Down, Man - Das Racist ("Luv It Mayne")
- 2009 – Beyond It - DJ Sly
- 2008 – SMKA: The 808 Experiment Vol. 1 - SMKA
- "Young One Records". Young One Records.
- Rhodes, Dusti. "Apostle of Hustle." Houston Press. Wednesday January 13, 2010. 2. Retrieved on December 20, 2010.
- "Mixtape Premiere: Fat Tony & Tom Cruz "Double Dragon"". Complex Magazine.
- "Fat Tony “BKNY” Video". Life or Death PR.
- "FAT TONY FEAT. OLD MONEY - "BKNY" (PROD. BY TOM CRUZ) (OFFICIAL VIDEO)". Noisey (Vice. Text " MUSIC VIDEO PREMIERES" ignored (help)
- "VICE Premiere: "Hood Party" by Fat Tony". Text " VICE United States" ignored (help)
- "Fat Tony helps keep local sound original – Life & Arts". The Daily Cougar (University of Houston).
- "RAB DAR GAB H.I.S.D. PSA". YouTube.
- "RABDARGAB". Fat Tony.
- "Fat Tony - SCREWDARGAB: Chopped Not Slopped: DJ OG RON C (File, MP3, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.
- "SCREWDARGAB". Fat Tony.
- "RABDARGAB: THE EPREVIEW". Fat Tony.
- "2009 Houston Press Music Award Winners". Houston Press.
- "2008 Houston Press Music Awards Recipients List". Houston Press.
- "Urb Magazine :: Next 1000 :: Fat Tony". Urb Magazine.
- Serrano, Shea. "Rap Boom Reload." Houston Press. Wednesday November 9, 2011. 1. Retrieved on November 10, 2011.
- Kever, Jeannie. "One dream, several lives." Houston Chronicle. December 19, 2008. Retrieved on November 13, 2010. "I definitely don't say 'yes' to everything," said Anthony Obi, a rapper known as Fat Tony. "But some things deserve special consideration."
- "Sound Check: Texas proves it's big enough for all types of music – Life & Arts". The Daily Cougar (University of Houston).
- Fat Tony Official Website
- Fat Tony on Twitter
- Fat Tony on Bandcamp
- Fat Tony on Facebook
- Fat Tony on YouTube