Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications
|Jurisdiction||Federal administration of Switzerland|
|Annual budget||Expenditure: CHF 9 billion
Revenue: CHF 815.3 million
|Minister responsible||Doris Leuthard, Federal Councillor|
The Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications (DETEC, German: Eidgenössisches Departement für Umwelt, Verkehr, Energie und Kommunikation, French: Département fédéral de l'environnement, des transports, de l'énergie et des communications, Italian: Dipartimento federale dell'ambiente, dei trasporti, dell'energia e delle comunicazioni) is one of the seven departments of the Swiss federal government, headed by a member of the Swiss Federal Council.
The Department is composed of the following offices:
- General Secretariat
- Federal Office for Spatial Development (ARE): Coordinates area planning between the federal agencies, the cantons and the municipalities.
- Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN): Responsible for matters of the environment, including the protection of plants and animals and the protection against noise, air pollution or natural hazards.
- Federal Office for Civil Aviation (FOCA): Regulates civil aviation.
- Federal Office of Communications (OFCOM): Regulates radio and TV stations, notably the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation.
- Federal Office of Energy (FOE): Responsible for the provision of electrical energy at the federal level, as well as for the supervision of dams.
- Federal Office of Transport (FOT): Responsible for public transport at the federal level, including the development of the federal rail network and navigation on the Rhine.
- Federal Roads Authority (FEDRO): Responsible for the construction, maintenance and operation of the national highway network.
The following independent authorities are affiliated to the DETEC for administrative purposes:
- Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB): Technical investigating authority for aircraft accidents.
- Federal Communications Commission (ComCom): Regulates the telecommunications market, awards service licences, rules on interconnection disputes and approves frequency and numbering plans.
- Federal Inspectorate for Heavy Current Installations (ESTI): Responsible for inspecting low and heavy-current electrical installations.
- Federal Nuclear Safety Inspectorate (HSK): Assesses and monitors security and radiation protection in Swiss nuclear installations.
- Federal Pipelines Inspectorate (ERI): Responsible for the planning, construction and operation of fuel pipeline systems in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
- Independent Complaints Authority for Radio and Television: Decides on complaints about radio and television programmes.
- Investigation Bureau for Railway, Funicular and Boat Accidents: Technical investigating authority for accidents on railways, cableways, funicular railways and ships.
- PostReg: Regulates the Swiss Post.
- Railways Arbitration Commission (RACO): Arbitrates in disputes over access to the rail network.
Name of department
- 1848-1859: Department of Posts and Construction
- 1860-1872: Department of Posts
- 1873-1878: Department of Posts and Telegraph
- 1879-1962: Department of Posts and Railways
- 1963-1978: Department of Transport, Communications and Energy
- 1979-1997: Federal Department of Transport, Communications and Energy
- Since 1998: Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications
List of heads of the department
- 1848-1852: Wilhelm Matthias Naeff
- 1853-1854: Josef Munzinger
- 1855-1866: Wilhelm Matthias Naeff
- 1867 only: Jakob Dubs
- 1868 only: Jean-Jacques Challet-Venel
- 1869 only: Jakob Dubs
- 1870-1872: Jean-Jacques Challet-Venel
- 1873-1875: Eugène Borel
- 1876 only: Joachim Heer
- 1877-1879: Emil Welti
- 1880-1881: Simeon Bavier
- 1882-1883: Emil Welti
- 1884 only: Adolf Deucher
- 1885-1891: Emil Welti
- 1892-1901: Josef Zemp
- 1902 only: Robert Comtesse
- 1903-1907: Josef Zemp
- 1908-1911: Ludwig Forrer
- 1912 only: Robert Comtesse
- 1912 only: Louis Perrier
- 1911-1917: Ludwig Forrer
- 1918-1929: Robert Haab
- 1930-1940: Marcel Pilet-Golaz
- 1940-1950: Enrico Celio
- 1950-1954: Josef Escher
- 1955-1959: Giuseppe Lepori
- 1960-1965: Willy Spühler
- 1966-1968: Rudolf Gnägi
- 1968-1973: Roger Bonvin
- 1974-1979: Willy Ritschard
- 1980-1987: Leon Schlumpf
- 1988-1995: Adolf Ogi
- 1995-2010: Moritz Leuenberger
- From 2010: Doris Leuthard
Notes and references
- Swiss Federal Chancellery. "The Swiss Confederation – a brief guide 2009".
- "The aims of the Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy, and Communications (DETEC)". Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications. Retrieved May 2008.