Find My Friends
Find My Friends on the iPad 2
|Initial release||October 12, 2011|
|Stable release||3.0 / November 19, 2013|
|Operating system||iOS 7 and later|
|Type||Location aware mobile application|
Find My Friends (also known as "Find Friends" on the SpringBoard) is an application and service for iOS developed by Apple Inc. for iOS 5. It was released on October 12, 2011 to the general public. While not bundled with the operating system itself, it can be downloaded through the App Store only on iOS 5 or later.
Find My Friends was announced during the "Let's Talk iPhone" keynote event on October 4, 2011. Find My Friends was released several hours earlier than the actual release of iOS 5. The 1.1 update, released on March 7, 2012, added bug fixes and support for the 3rd generation iPad's Retina display.
With Find My Friends, users can follow and track people with their iOS device(s). Users can also share their location with the people they choose. Location is determined using GPS in the iOS device when Location Services are turned on. Notifications appear when a user requests another user to see where they are. The feature can be turned on and off at any time. Like many iOS applications that use Location Services, parental controls are available. Find My Friends synchronizes with other applications such as Maps and Contacts. The application is supported on the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.
In Mainland China, Find My Friends does not show correct location for friends. This bug is due to the fact that Mainland China uses GCJ-02 coordinates while the application reports and uses WGS-84(the common geodetic system in the world) coordinates. This usually results in a roughly 500m offset from the actual location. This bug is still present in the latest version(v3.0) of Find My Friends.
- "App Store - Find My Friends". Application Store. Apple Inc. Nov 19, 2013. Retrieved March 18, 2012.
- "iOS 5 - See new features included in iOS 5". Apple Inc. Retrieved October 10, 2011.
- ZL Studios (October 4, 2011). "Apple Announces Find My Friends iOS 5 App « ZL Studios". Zlstudios.net. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- Christian Zibreg. "Find My Friends app goes live ahead of iOS 5 release | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence". 9to5Mac. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- "iCloud - Find your friends and your missing Apple device". Apple. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- Previous post Next post (January 4, 2009). "Apple Stealth Launches ‘Find My Friends’ and ‘Airport Utility’ Apps | Gadget Lab". Wired.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.