Control Center (iOS)
Control Center on an iPhone 5
|Stable release||iOS 7.x / September 18, 2013|
|Operating system||iOS 7|
|License||Same as iOS 7|
Control Center is a feature of Apple's iOS operating system, introduced as part of the latest version, iOS 7, which was released on September 18, 2013. It gives iOS devices direct access to important settings for the device by swiping a finger up from the bottom of the display. It is similar to the SBSettings tweak for jailbroken iDevices.
Control Center gives iOS users quick access to commonly used controls and apps. By swiping up from any screen–including the Lock screen–users can do such things as switch to Airplane mode, turn Wi-Fi on or off, adjust the display brightness and similar basic functions of the device. It also includes a new integrated flashlight function to operate the reverse camera's flash LED as a flashlight. The flashlight feature is not available on iPads, only iPhones.
Other functions offered are the ability to turn on or off Bluetooth, and Do Not Disturb; lock the screen’s orientation; play, pause, or skip a song, and see what is playing; connect to AirPlay-enabled devices; and quickly access the clock, calculator, and camera apps. Users also have access to AirDrop, previously only available on Macs and newly added in iOS 7, as a method of transferring files between Apple devices.
Control Center has received generally positive reviews. In contrast for the user having to access the Settings applications to change most preferences, Darrell Etherington of TechCrunch thought that "separating [Control Center] from that function and making it accessible throughout the iOS user interface via a simple swipe up from bottom is a really big improvement."
- Tam, Donna (September 10, 2013). "Apple to release iOS 7 on September 18". CNET. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 10, 2013.
- Ng, Gary (June 10, 2013). "Control Center in iOS 7 Brings SBSettings from Cydia to the iPhone". iPhone in Canada. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- Guarino, Sarah (September 18, 2013). "iOS 7 How-to: Use Control Center to quickly manage settings". 9to5Mac. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- Frakes, Dan (September 18, 2013). "Get to know iOS 7: Control Center". Macworld. IDG Consumer & SMB. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "Control Center. Some things should be only a swipe away. And now they are.". iOS 7. Apple Inc. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- Etherington, Darrell (September 17, 2013). "Apple iOS 7 Review: A Major Makeover That Delivers, But Takes Some Getting Used To". TechCrunch. AOL. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Control Center – official site