Gaia: One Woman's Journey
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (June 2008)|
|Gaia: One Woman's Journey|
|Studio album by Olivia Newton-John|
|Genre||Adult contemporary, New Age|
|Producer||Olivia Newton-John, Murray Burns, Colin Bayley|
|Olivia Newton-John chronology|
|Singles from Gaia|
Gaia: One Woman's Journey is an album released by Olivia Newton-John in 1994. For the first time in her career; the album was entirely written by Newton-John herself. In addition to songwriting duties; Newton-John also co-produced the album.
Production and Reception
The album was the first since Newton-John was diagnosed with breast cancer on 1992; and as such, many of the songs were influenced by her experiences - especially in the tracks "Why Me" and "Not Gonna Give into It". Newton-John's passion for environmental and conservation issues also served as a major influence.
The album was recorded in Australia during 1993 and 1994 and released via several independent labels internationally; except in Australia where Newton-John was still signed to Festival Records.
One of the most critically acclaimed of Newton-John's career, the album is a firm favourite among fans. Allmusic hails the album as "the most honest and inviting album of her career." One single was lifted from the album; "No Matter What You Do" which was an Australian Top 40 hit
Below are the sleeve notes of Newton-John included in the CD Booklet:
- The album title Gaia (pronounced Guy-ya) - Is the spirit of Mother Earth. She is the giver of dreams and the nourisher of plants and young children.
- "Don't Cut Me Down" - I found this half finished ina drawer full of tapes I started it in the late 80's. It reflects my ongoing feelings for the old growth forests that are so threatened by man. LA 198?
- "Not Gonna Give into It" - I wrote this after chemotherapy treatment. It speaks for itself. Los Angeles 1992.
- "Why Me" - I wrote this song the night after my surgery, as I was pondering the question "why me" as everyone does. My father died with dignity of cancer on the day I was diagnosed and he never complained for a moment, this is for him. Los Angeles August 1992.
- "The Way of Love" - I find it painful that some people are so unaccepting of each other's beliefs, in my experience they all have merit, Chloe and her school sang on this one. Byron Bay 1993.
- "Gaia" - Gaia is the spirit of Mother Earth. She is the giver of dreams and the nourisher of plants and young children. This song came to me at 3:00 AM on a cold winters morning in Byron Bay and I was compelled to write and finish it. I feel the spirit of Mother Earth spoke to me. August 1993.
- "I Never Knew Love" - This song was born of joy, I asked for help and received it. Byron Bay August 1993.
- "Do You Feel" - To kindred spirits everywhere. LA Sept 93.
- "Trust Yourself" - This song was born out of my decision to write, record and co-produce for the first time, an album of songs about my personal feelings, in order to do so I had to let some other commitments go.
- "Silent Ruin" - The first song that I have ever been asked to write was for a powerful and frightening documentary "The Last Whale", I feel this is the plight of all the planets creatures and I changed whale to wild for the album. Byron Bay Nov 93
- "No Matter What You Do" - This song came to me in the car on the way to the studio, it was during a time when I was having a lot of problems and I sent this song to all the negative forces in my life. December 93
- "Pegasus" - I saw Pegasus in a meditation so vividly that the next night I woke up with this song in my head!
- "No Other Love" - For the loves of my life, Matt and Chloe. Byron Bay Jan 94
All songs written by Olivia Newton-John.
- "Trust Yourself"
- "No Matter What You Do"
- "No Other Love"
- "Why Me"
- "Don't Cut Me Down"
- "Do You Feel"
- "I Never Knew Love"
- "Silent Ruin"
- "Not Gonna Give into It"
- "The Way of Love"