|Country of origin||Scotland|
|No. of episodes||173|
|Executive producer(s)||Bryan Izzard|
|Running time||30 minutes
|Production company(s)||STV Productions
|Original run||1 April 1976 – 12 July 1979|
|Related shows||Take the High Road|
Garnock Way was set in a mining community in a town halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh. It was deemed to be too gritty for network consumption, which resulted in only certain stations broadcasting the series.
In the summer of 1979 Garnock Way was axed and replaced by Take the High Road, which was a bigger budget affair and more in keeping with the 'tartan' perception of Scotland as it was deliberately set in a more beautiful part of Scotland.
In 2010 it was announced that Garnock Way would be one of the STV archive programmes soon to be available on YouTube. The STV Player channel on the video-sharing website launched on 20 August 2010. However, just four episodes of the series are known to exist, and these are available on the STV Player.
Only a few ITV stations broadcast the series:
- Southern Television from May 1976 until September 1977
- Border Television From early 1977 until the end.
- UTV From March 1977 until 5 August 1979
- HTV throughout 1977
- Jean Ross - Eileen McCallum
- Alex Ross - Gerard Slevin
- Tod Baxter - Bill Henderson
- Mary Baxter - Terry Cavers
- Louise Baxter - Harriet Buchan
- Willie Mclean - William Armour
- Hughie Ross - Alan Watters
- Sandra Cully - Dorothy Paul
- Cully - Jackie Farrell
- Cliff Hewitt - George Howell
- Effie Murdoch - Ginni Barlow
- Harry Murdoch - Bill McCabe
- Det Sgt Golspie - Michael Elder
- PC Scoular - John Stahl
- Georgina Munro - Jan Wilson
The outside scenes when you see the houses the characters lived in were filmed in Torbothie, Shotts. The houses are in Charles Street, and are still there today. However the still picture at the start of the programme, where you see the street with the monument isn't from Shotts.
- Historical detail: from an interview with Haldane Duncan, ex-director of Take the High Road. Retrieved on 16 March 2008.
- Garnock Way show on YouTube (STV Player)
- The Glasgow Herald - 30 Mar 1976 P7 - http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC
|This article relating to television in Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|