George Howard, 6th Earl of Carlisle
|The Right Honourable
The Earl of Carlisle
KG, PC, FRS
|The Earl of Carlisle as a child.|
|Lord Privy Seal|
16 July 1827 – 21 January 1828
|Prime Minister||George Canning
The Viscount Goderich
|Preceded by||The Duke of Portland|
|Succeeded by||The Lord Ellenborough|
5 June 1834 – 14 November 1834
|Prime Minister||The Viscount Melbourne|
|Preceded by||The Earl of Ripon|
|Succeeded by||The Earl of Mulgrave|
|Born||17 September 1773
|Died||7 October 1848
Castle Howard, Yorkshire
|Spouse(s)||Lady Georgiana Cavendish (1783–1858)|
|Alma mater||Christ Church, Oxford|
George Howard, 6th Earl of Carlisle KG, PC, FRS (17 September 1773 – 7 October 1848), styled Viscount Morpeth until 1825, was a British statesman. He served as Lord Privy Seal between 1827 and 1828 and in 1834 and was a member of Lord Grey's Whig government as Minister without Portfolio between 1830 and 1834.
Background and education
Carlisle was the eldest son of Frederick Howard, 5th Earl of Carlisle, and his wife Lady Margaret Caroline Leveson-Gower, daughter of Granville Leveson-Gower, 1st Marquess of Stafford and his wife Lady Louisa, daughter of Scroop Egerton, 1st Duke of Bridgewater. He was educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford.
Carlisle was returned to parliament for Morpeth in 1795, a seat he held until 1806, and then represented Cumberland until 1820. In 1806 he was sworn of the Privy Council. In 1825 he succeeded his father in the earldom and entered the House of Lords. He served in the moderate Tory governments of George Canning and Lord Goderich as First Commissioner of Woods and Forests between May and July 1827 and as Lord Privy Seal (with a seat in the cabinet) between July 1827 and January 1828. However, he split with the Tories over electoral reform and later served as a member of the cabinet in the Whig administrations of Lord Grey and Lord Melbourne as Minister without Portfolio between 1830 and 1834 and once again as Lord Privy Seal between July and November 1834.
- George Howard, 7th Earl of Carlisle (18 April 1802– 5 December 1864).
- Lady Caroline Georgiana Howard (24 June 1803–27 November 1881). She married William Lascelles.
- Lady Georgiana Howard (1804–17 March 1860). She married George Agar-Ellis, 1st Baron Dover.
- Hon. Frederick George Howard (8 June 1805–18 November 1834).
- Lady Harriet Elizabeth Georgina Howard (21 May 1806 – 27 October 1868). She married George Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, 2nd Duke of Sutherland.
- William George Howard, 8th Earl of Carlisle (23 February 1808–29 March 1889).
- Edward Granville George Howard, 1st Baron Lanerton (23 December 1809– 8 October 1880). He married Diana Ponsonby, daughter of the Hon. George Ponsonby.
- Lady Blanche Georgiana Howard (11 January 1812–27 April 1840). She married William Cavendish, 7th Duke of Devonshire.
- Hon. Charles Wentworth George Howard (27 March 1814 –11 April 1879). He married Mary Parke, daughter of James Parke, Baron Wensleydale. They were parents of George Howard, 9th Earl of Carlisle.
- Lady Elizabeth Dorothy Anne Howard ( 8 December 1816–11 May 1891). She married Reverend Francis Richard Grey, son of Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey.
- Hon. Henry George Howard (22 May 1818–10 August 1879). On 29 May 1845, he married Mary Wellesley McTavish, daughter of John McTavish, British Consul at Baltimore, and his wife, Emily. The couple wed from the house of her aunt, the Marchioness Wellesley. He served as Secretary of the British Embassy in Paris. His wife died in Paris 21 February 1850, in her 23rd year.
- Lady Mary Matilda Georgiana Howard (28 January 1823–17 September 1892). She married Henry Labouchere, 1st Baron Taunton.
Lord Carlisle died at Castle Howard, Yorkshire, in October 1848, aged 75, and was succeeded in the earldom by his eldest son, George. The Countess of Carlisle died at Castle Howard in August 1858, aged 75.
- Machin, Ian (January 2008). "Howard, George, sixth earl of Carlisle (1773–1848)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2009-08-09.(subscription required)
- thepeerage.com George Howard, 6th Earl of Carlisle
- leighrayment.com House of Commons: Mitcham to Motherwell South
- leighrayment.com House of Commons: Cornwall to Cynon Valley
- The London Gazette: . 4 February 1806.
- The London Gazette: . 18 May 1827.
- The London Gazette: . 17 July 1827.
- The London Gazette: . 5 June 1834.
- leighrayment.com Peerage: Carew to Castlereagh
- The London Gazette: . 21 March 1837.
- Morgan, Henry James Types of Canadian women and of women who are or have been connected with Canada : (Toronto, 1903) 
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Carlisle
- "Howard, George (1773-1848)". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.