Gulf St Vincent
|Gulf St Vincent|
Gulf St Vincent is the easternmost of the two inlets
|River sources||Dry Creek, Field, Gawler, Light, Onkaparinga, Patawalonga , Port, Sturt, Torrens|
|Max. length||138.9 km (86.3 mi)|
|Max. width||61.15 km (38.00 mi)|
|Surface area||6,800 km2 (2,600 sq mi)|
|Average depth||21 m (69 ft)|
|Max. depth||40 m (130 ft)|
Gulf St Vincent is a large inlet of water on the southern coast of Australia, in the state of South Australia. It is bordered by Yorke Peninsula on its west, the mainland and Fleurieu Peninsula to its east and with its entrance as being a line from Troubridge Point on Yorke Peninsula to Cape Jervis on Fleurieu Peninsula.
Adelaide, the South Australian capital, lies midway along the gulf's east coast. Other towns located on the gulf, from west to east include Edithburgh, Port Vincent, Ardrossan and Port Wakefield and Normanville. It was named "Gulph of St. Vincent" by Matthew Flinders on 30 March 1802. Prior to then, it had been known as Golphe Josephine.[verification needed]
Port Stanvac Desalination Plant which, as of 2010, is under construction on Gulf St Vincent's shore in Lonsdale, South Australia, will supply the Adelaide metropolitan area with desalinated water from the gulf.
The Gulf teems with crustacea and polychaeta, as well as various species of sea squirts and sea urchins. The benthos is a soft sediment shelf, with species of zosteraceae around the mouth of the Port River.
- Hydrographic Department, Ministry of Defence; (reproduced by the Royal Australian Navy Hydrographic Service) (1983). Gulf of St Vincent and approaches (chart no. 1762).
- Bye, J.A.T. (1976): Physical oceanography of Gulf St Vincent and Investigator Strait. In: Twidale, C.R., Tyler, M.J. & Webb, B.P. (Eds.), Natural history of the Adelaide Region. Royal Society of SA Inc, Adelaide. Pp. 143.
- South Australia. Department of Marine and Harbors (1985), The Waters of South Australia a series of charts, sailing notes and coastal photographs, Dept. of Marine and Harbors, South Australia, pp. Chart 21, ISBN 978-0-7243-7603-2
- "Place Name Search: Gulf St Vincent". Geoscience Australia. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- Matthew Flinders. "South coast. Gulph of St. Vincent". A voyage to Terra Australis. State Library of South Australia. p. 180. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gulf St Vincent.|
- South Australian State Gazetteer PlaceNames Online Search
- Friends of Gulf St Vincent Accessed 14 February 2014.