Wideband audio, also known as HD voice, is high definition voice quality for telephony audio, contrasted with standard digital telephony "toll quality". It extends the frequency range of audio signals transmitted over telephone lines, resulting in higher quality speech. The range of the human voice extends from 80 Hz to 14 kHz but traditional, voiceband or narrowband telephone calls limit audio frequencies to the range of 300 Hz to 3.4 kHz. Wideband audio relaxes the bandwidth limitation and transmits in the audio frequency range of 50 Hz to 7 kHz or higher.
In 1987, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) standardized a version of wideband audio known as G.722. Radio broadcasters began using G.722 over Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) to provide high-quality audio for remote broadcasts, such as commentary from sports venues. AMR-WB (G.722.2) was developed by Nokia and VoiceAge and it was first specified by 3GPP.
The traditional telephone network (PSTN) is generally limited to narrowband audio by the intrinsic nature of its transmission technology, TDM (time-division multiplexing), and by the analogue-to-digital converters used at the edge of the network, as well as the speakers, microphones and other elements in the endpoints themselves.
Wideband audio has been broadly deployed in conjunction with videoconferencing. Providers of this technology quickly discovered that despite the explicit emphasis on video transmission, the quality of the participant experience was significantly influenced by the fidelity of the associated audio signal.
Communications via Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) can readily employ wideband audio. When PC-to-PC calls are placed via VoIP services, such as Skype, and the participants use a high-quality headset, the resulting call quality can be noticeably superior to conventional PSTN calls. Some of the handsets manufactured by Nokia which run S60 and Series40 OS that support VoIP also support wideband audio. A number of audio codecs have emerged to support these services, supplementing G.722.
Manufacturers of audio conferencing equipment have introduced wideband-capable models that include support for G.722 over VoIP.
Conference calls are a direct beneficiary of the enhancements offered by wideband audio. Participants often struggle to figure out who is talking, or to understand accented speakers. Misunderstandings are commonplace due primarily to generally poor audio quality and an accumulation of background noise.
Some listener benefits cited of wideband audio compared to traditional (narrowband):
- clearer overall sound quality
- easier to recognize voices, distinguish confusing sounds and understand accented speakers
- ease of deciphering words that have the close sounds of ‘s’ and ‘f’ and others, often indistinguishable over telephone lines
- ability to hear faint talkers and to understand double-talk (when more than one person is speaking at the same time)
- reduced listening effort (decreased cognitive load), resulting in increased productivity and lessened listener fatigue
- better understanding in the face of other impairments, such as when talkers are using a speakerphone or in the presence of background noise
Despite its reputation for poor audio quality, the mobile telephone industry has started to make some progress on wideband audio. The 3GPP standards group has designated G.722.2 as its wideband codec and calls it Advanced Multirate – Wideband (AMR-WB). A few handsets have been produced supporting this codec (for example, HTC, Nokia , Samsung and Sony, and network demonstrations have been conducted.
As business telephone systems have adopted VoIP technology, support for wideband audio has grown rapidly. Telephone sets from Avaya, Cisco, NEC Unified Solutions, Grandstream, Gigaset, Polycom (which brands wideband audio "HD Voice"), Snom, AudioCodes (which brands wideband audio "HDVoIP") and others now incorporate G.722, as well as varying degrees of higher-quality audio components.
Suppliers of integrated circuits for telephony equipment, including DSP Group, Broadcom, Infineon, and Texas Instruments, include wideband audio in their feature portfolios. There are audio conferencing service providers that support wideband connections from these and other VoIP endpoints, while also permitting PSTN participants to join the conference in narrowband. sipXtapi is an open source solution for VoIP media processing engine supporting wideband and HD voice that provides RTP and codecs through a plugin framework for use with SIP and other VoIP protocols. Skype uses an audio codec called Silk which allows for extremely high quality audio.
A number of carriers around the world have rolled out HD voice services based on the G.722 wideband standard. In North America, hosted service providers have recently[when?]deployed the Aastra Hi-Q upgrade to its installed user base and as of January 2010 claimed around 70,000 HD voice endpoints. Consumer service provider ooma has an estimated 25,000 HD voice endpoints deployed stemming from its roll out of its second-generation Telo hardware.
After years of trials, AMR-WB was made commercially available in September 2009, when Orange launched the world's first high-definition voice service for mobile phones in Moldova, the first time since the 1990s that mobile voice technologies have been subject to a significant evolution. The first mobile handset integrating high-definition voice capability launched by Orange Moldova is the Nokia 6720c, which integrates WB-AMR. Orange has since rolled out HD voice in the UK, France, Belgium, Romania, Armenia, Dominican Republic and Spain, with Switzerland and Luxembourg due to follow. Moreover Orange has announced that will ensure HD Voice interoperability between Orange countries for both mobile and fixed networks, interoperability with other operators and looking to launch HD Voice over their 2G networks as well, by in 2013/2014.
- As of September 2014, GSA a report announces 116 commercial mobile HD Voice networks launched in 75 countries.
Following are wideband codecs used in telecommunication 
- Extended Adaptive Multi-Rate – Wideband
- Skype SILK
- Microsoft RTAudio
- Variable-Rate Multimode Wideband (VMR-WB)
- internet Speech Audio Codec (iSAC)
- Forum Nokia - VoIP details.
- "Mobile HD Voice: Global Update report". GSA. 2014-09-19. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- Next HD Voice moves for Orange.
- "Bientôt, la voix haute définition sur votre mobile SFR !". SFR. 2012-09-12. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "HD Voice calls launched on Three". Hutchison 3. 2011-06-17. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Telstra introduces the World’s largest coverage footprint of HD Voice calling". Telstra. 2011-06-24. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Österreichpremiere von HD Voice: A1 bringt HD-Qualität für Gespräche am Handy". A1. 2011-02-10. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "T-Mobile Poland introduces HD Voice". telecompaper. 2011-08-18. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Movicel launches LTE in Cabinda 45 days ahead of schedule". http://futurezone.at/. 2011-08-29. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "TDC first to offer HD Voice in Denmark". TDC. 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "HD Voice launched nationwide" (PDF). Orange. 2011-10-14. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "T-Mobile Czech Republic launches HD Voice". telecompaper. 2011-10-27. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Telekom Kunden telefonieren in HD Qualität". Deutsche Telekom. 2011-11-02. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "HD Voice für beste Sprachqualität im 3MegaNetz". Hutchison 3. 2011-11-16. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Bell improves call qualiy with HD Voice". Bell Mobility. 2012-01-01. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Crystal-clear voice quality on your mobile: Swisscom launches HD Voice". Swisscom. 2012-01-31. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "KPN stelt HD Voice geluidskwaliteit permanent beschikbaar op netwerk". KPN. 2012-03-05. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Vodafone’s HD Voice offers improved audio quality of calls". Silicon Republic. 2012-04-18. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "HD Voice w Play – z czym to się je?". Play. 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "T-Mobile – HD Voice Launch". Vision Mobile. 2012-08-09. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "MTS launches HD-Voice service nationwide". telecompaper. 2012-09-12. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Portugal carrier TMN turns up mobile HD voice–including iPhone 5". http://hdvoicenews.com/. 2012-10-01. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "3’s kunder får klar tale på mobilen med HD Voice". Hutchison 3. 2012-12-20. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "T-Mobile Network Advancements Enrich Customer Experience with Nationwide HD Voice and Enhanced 4G Coverage in New Metro Areas". T-Mobile US. 2013-01-08. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Chunghwa Telecom launches 3G HD Voice services". DigiTimes. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Airtel rolls out mobile HD voice service in Africa". StarAfrica.com. 2013-03-05. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Telenor brings excellent sound to its mobile network in Norway". Telenor. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "HD Voice launch". Mobily. 2013-03-25. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "HD Voice at Cosmote Romania". Cosmote Romania. 2013-04-15. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- "RomTelecom, Cosmote rebrand as Telekom Romania next month". TeleGeography. 2014-08-15. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- "HD Voice arrives in Slovakia". Orange Slovakia. 2013-05-29. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "High definition communication exclusively for COSMOTE customers". Cosmote. 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Vodafone introduce HD voice calling". Vodafone Australia. 2013-06-25. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "From today on you may enjoy HD quality mobile voice at Telekom". Magyar Telekom. 2013-07-01. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "HD hang a Telenornál is". hwsw.hu. 2013-08-29. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- "HD Voice in Telenor Smart Network". Telenor Serbia. 2013-09-16. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "High Definition Voice Calling". Vodafone New Zealand. 2013-11-06. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "superior network voice capabilities". VIVA Kuwait. 2013-12-25. Retrieved 2013-12-25.
- "HD voice arrives in New Zealand". HD Voice News. 2014-01-24. Retrieved 2014-01-24.
- "Telia Sweden launches HD Voice service". Telecompaper. 2014-03-25. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Jetzt auch im E-Plus-Netz: HD Voice sorgt für besseren Sprachklang" (in German). teltarif.de. 2014-03-12. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Inwi lance la technologie HD Voice" (in French). inwi.ma. 2014-03-20. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- "Nawras launches HD voice network in Oman". Telecompaper. 2014-03-24. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Viva Bahrain launches HD voice". Telecompaper. 2014-03-31. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "Bahrain gets HD voice". HD Voice News. 2014-03-31. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "EMT võrgus saab teha kõrgekvaliteedilisi HD-kõnesid". EMT. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "Altel launches LTE/GSM/UMTS network". Telecompaper. 2014-05-15. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Sri Lanka Gets HD voice via Etisalat". HD Voice News. 2014-05-22. Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- "Robi launches HD voice service". Telecompaper. 2014-06-23. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- "FAQs about HD Voice from Sprint". Sprint US. 2014-06-27. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Vodafone-activeert-hd-voice-op-hele-3g-netwerk". Tweakers.net. 2014-07-02. Retrieved 2014-07-02.
- "Sunrise lance enfin la HD Voice!" (in French). Scal.ch. 2014-07-17. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Połączenia telefoniczne wysokiej jakości – Voice HD w Orange" (in Polish). orange.pl. 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2014-07-29.
- "Ooredoo Goes Live In Myanmar". Ooredoo. 2014-08-03. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "Vodafone HD Hang". Vodafone Hungary. 2014-08-01. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
- "MTN South Africa launches HD voice". Telecompaper. 2014-08-20. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "HD Voice with AMC". AMC Mobil.
- "Telenor Denmark activates HD voice across 3G network". Telecompaper. 2014-08-02. Retrieved 2014-09-08.
- "Vodafone UK introduces HD voice calls, part of £1B investment". GSMArena. 2014-09-11. Retrieved 2014-09-11.
- "Vodafone Albania introduces HD Voice". Telecompaper. 2014-10-09. Retrieved 2014-10-09.
- "Vodafone Spain launches LTE-A in 3 cities, offers HD calls". Telecompaper. 2014-10-15. Retrieved 2014-10-15.
- "Tele2 Lithuania introduces HD Voice". Telecompaper. 2014-10-16. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Beeline launches HD Voice in Perm". Telecompaper. 2014-10-16. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Tele2 Latvia launches HD Voice". Telecompaper. 2014-11-18. Retrieved 2014-11-18.
- "Nu introducerar vi HD-voice i vårt mobilnät.". Telenor. 2014-12-04. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- "Dialog HD Voice". 2015-02-07. Retrieved 2015-02-07.
- "Plus HD Voice". 2014-12-22. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- "HD Voice is rolling out on O2!". 2015-05-20. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "Which wideband codec to choose?". TMCnet. Retrieved 2012-11-13.[dead link]
- www.hdvoicenews.com – HD Voice News
- The Effect of Bandwidth on Speech Intelligibility – Polycom technical White Paper
- TMCNet.com HD Voice Community
- VoIP transitioning to High Definition Voice – InfoWorld blog on wideband audio
- Texas Instruments HD Audio website
- Can You Hear What I Mean? Polycom Delivers HD Voice – sponsored IDC White Paper
- International Telecommunications Union
- HD Voice Cookbook