Happy Talk (song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008)|
|"Happy Talk (song)"|
|Song from South Pacific|
|Writer||Oscar Hammerstein II|
"Happy Talk" is a show tune from the 1949 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific. It is sung by Bloody Mary to the American lieutenant Joe Cable, about having a happy life, after he begins romancing her daughter Liat. Liat performs the song with hand gestures as Mary sings.
Ella Fitzgerald recorded this song with Gordon Jenkins and his orchestra for Decca and it was included on her album Miss Ella Fitzgerald & Mr Gordon Jenkins Invite You to Listen and Relax.
Captain Sensible version
|Single by Captain Sensible|
|from the album
Women and Captains First
|Released||26 June 1982|
|Label||Universal Music Group|
|Captain Sensible chronology|
Due to the chart success of the single, The Damned have frequently included "Happy Talk" in their set lists since 1982.
"I've Never Been to Me" by Charlene
|UK number-one single
3 July 1982 - 10 July 1982
"Fame" by Irene Cara
Other cover versions
- Ella Fitzgerald recorded a version with Gordon Jenkins and His Orchestra on the Decca 78 rpm single "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair" / "Happy Talk". It later appeared on the 1955 Decca compilation album, Miss Ella Fitzgerald & Mr Gordon Jenkins Invite You to Listen and Relax.
- Muriel Smith recorded "Happy Talk" in November 1951 on the UK Columbia record label, DB2957.
- Doris Day recorded "Happy Talk" in December 1960 for her album Bright and Shiny.
- Claudine Longet recorded a version for her album Love is Blue (1968).
- In the late 1960s, Harpers Bizarre did a cover of the song.
- Daniel Johnston & Jad Fair covered the song on their album It's Spooky, released in 1989.
- The Four Freshmen covered the song on the album First Affair/Voices in Fun (2002).
- In 2004, UK grime MC Dizzee Rascal sampled Captain Sensible's version on the single, "Dream", which reached No. 14 on the UK Singles Chart.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 410. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Автор: Claudine:Released (2008-07-06). "Claudine:Released: Claudine Longet "Love Is Blue" 1968 US Reel To Reel Tape (AMX 142)". Claudinereleased.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 158. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.