Heaven Knows (Donna Summer song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|Single by Donna Summer and Brooklyn Dreams|
|from the album Live and More|
|B-side||Only One Man (Live)|
3:38 (7" version)
|Writer(s)||Donna Summer, Giorgio Moroder, Pete Bellotte|
|Donna Summer and Brooklyn Dreams singles chronology|
"Heaven Knows" is a song by Donna Summer and the Brooklyn Dreams released at the height of her fame during the 1970s disco era. It is adapted from a studio recording from the Live and More album and became a number 4 hit for Summer in the U.S. in early 1979. The song features singing by the group Brooklyn Dreams with lead vocals by Joe "Bean" Esposito.
On the single version released by Summer (credited as Donna Summer with Brooklyn Dreams), singer Joe "Bean" Esposito sings second lead to Summer, while Summer and the group provide backing vocals. However, on the version that appears on Brooklyn Dreams's 1979 album, Sleepless Nights, it is Esposito who sings the lead vocal with Summer singing second lead, with Summer and the group provide backing vocals. On the group's album, this version is credited as Brooklyn Dreams with Donna Summer.
A 12" single version, at 6:45, was released, the first verse sung by Summer solo, the remainder with Summer and Esposito.
Cover versions and appearances in other media
- In 1980 the song was performed by Pink Lady on their variety show Pink Lady and Jeff.
- Nell Carter and guest star Ray Parker, Jr. sang a duet of the song in a 1984 episode of Gimme a Break.
- In November 2000, Ann Curless from the girl group Exposé released a version on Waako Records.
- In 2003, the song was covered by Faith Evans in the film, "The Fighting Temptations".
- In 2012, the song will be turning into a Broadway musical.
- In 2013, following Summer's death, Nadia Ali released a downtempo acoustic cover as a tribute.
|This 1970s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|