Henry B. Plant High School
|Henry B. Plant High School|
|Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Strength Through Unity|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Principal||Robert A. Nelson|
|Number of students||2,200 (2008-2009)|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Accreditation(s)||Florida State Department of Education|
H.B. Plant High School
|Location||Tampa, Hillsborough County, Florida|
|NRHP Reference #||81000194|
H.B. Plant High School is a public high school located in Tampa, Florida, United States. It opened in 1927 on South Himes Avenue. The school is named in honor of railroad and hotel tycoon Henry B. Plant. The school mascot is the Panther. The school motto is "Strength Through Unity". Plant High School has an enrollment of more than 2,500 students.
US News and World Report ranked Plant High the 22nd best public school in the Florida and 321st nationally in 2012. The school has twice been named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence (1990 and 1997).
Florida Department of Education grade
Plant is one of only three schools in Hillsborough County to have earned an A grade from the Florida Department of Education in at least four of the last five years, along with Sickles, which received a B in 2011, and Newsome, which has five straight A grades.
- 2012 A
- 2011 A
- 2010 A
- 2009 B
- 2008 A
The athletic stadium is named Dad's Stadium, with the water tower in behind the stadium which reads, "Plant High School, Home Of State Champions" and hosts football, soccer and lacrosse games, track and field meets, and pep rallies.
The high school music program consists of an orchestra under the direction of Steven Bossert, and a marching band, a wind ensemble, a symphonic band and a jazz band under the direction of Rob Schoos. The Marching Panther Band is a combination of all these groups and performs at all football games and various community events.
Plant High School enjoys a fine tradition of community service, as shown by the seven service clubs (boys and girls) on campus. Students who are interested in joining are assigned to a random club and are "tapped" during homeroom. These clubs perform a variety of services to the community.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
||This section is written like a personal reflection or opinion essay rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject. (September 2012)|
The Plant High School football team won 4 state championships, in 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2011.
The Plant football program was recognized three years in a row from 2009 to 2011 as achieving the highest team GPA in Hillsborough County.
Plant High has won titles in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. 2008 was the second year that Plant volleyball has had a 3-peat. In 2009 they claimed their 4th consecutive state championship. In 2010 they won their 5th straight championship. Plant Volleyball coach Leanna Taylor, who has guided the program to five consecutive state championships, has been named Florida Dairy Farmers Girls Volleyball Coach of the Year and Tampa Tribune Female Coach of the Year. She was recently chosen by Positive Coaching Alliance and the Institute of International Sport as one of seven people across the country selected to be Sports Ethics Fellows recipients as part of IIS’ 20th-Anniversary edition of National Sportsmanship Day.
- Trey Azagthoth, founder and lead guitarist for Morbid Angel
- Wade Boggs, Hall of Fame baseball player
- Leo Gallagher, American comedian
- Sam Gibbons, United States congressman
- Lane Lindell, represented America in Miss World 2008 in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Bobby Lord, country musician'
- Stephen Stills, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young musical group
- Wesley Willis, American musician and artist
- Dreama Walker, actress known for her role in Gossip Girl
- Mike Williams, former National Football League Wide receiver
- Orson Charles, current National Football League Tight end for the Cincinnati Bengals
- Aaron Murray, Quarterback and Heisman Trophy finalist for the Georgia Bulldogs
- Plant Panthers Football Team Website
- Plant High Rowing official website
- The H.B. Plant High School Marching Panther Band
- Henry B. Plant High School website
- School District of Hillsborough County Website.
- PHS Chorus Official Website
- Plant High School Jazz Ensemble
- Plant High School Orchestra Booster Club