Henry B. Plant High School
|Henry B. Plant High School|
|2415 South Himes Avenue
Tampa, Florida, 33629
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Strength Through Unity|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Accreditation||Florida State Department of Education|
H.B. Plant High School is a public high school located in Tampa, Florida, United States. It opened in 1927 on South Himes Avenue. The school is named in honor of railroad and hotel tycoon Henry B. Plant. The school mascot is the Panther. The school motto is "Strength Through Unity". Plant High School has an enrollment of more than 2,500 students.
US News and World Report ranked Plant High the 22nd best public school in the Florida and 321st nationally in 2012. The school has twice been named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence (1990 and 1997).
Florida Department of Education grade
Plant is one of only three schools in Hillsborough County to have earned an A grade from the Florida Department of Education in at least four of the last five years, along with Sickles, which received a B in 2011, and Newsome, which has five straight A grades.
- 2012 A
- 2011 A
- 2010 A
- 2009 B
- 2008 A
The athletic stadium is named Dad's Stadium, with the water tower in behind the stadium which reads, "Plant High School, Home Of State Champions" and hosts football, soccer and lacrosse games, track and field meets, and pep rallies.
The high school music program consists of an orchestra, a chorus and a marching band, a wind ensemble, a symphonic band and a jazz band. The Marching Panther Band is a combination of all these groups and performs at all football games and various community events.
Plant High School enjoys a fine tradition of community service, as shown by the seven service clubs (boys and girls) on campus. Students who are interested in joining are assigned to a random club and are "tapped" during homeroom. These clubs perform a variety of services to the community.
- Basketball (boys & girls)
- Cross Country
- Flag Football
- State Champions - 2009, 2008, 2009 & 2011
- Swimming and Diving
- State Champions - 1975, 1976 & 2006-2010
- Trey Azagthoth, founder and lead guitarist for Morbid Angel
- Wade Boggs, Hall of Fame baseball player
- Leo Gallagher, American comedian
- Sam Gibbons, United States congressman
- Lane Lindell, represented America in Miss World 2008 in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Bobby Lord, country musician'
- Stephen Stills, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young musical group
- Richard King, 3 Time Academy Award Winner- Best Sound Editing
- Dreama Walker, actress known for her role in Gossip Girl
- Mike Williams, former National Football League Wide receiver
- Orson Charles, current National Football League Tight end for the Cincinnati Bengals
- Aaron Murray, prospective National Football League Quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
- James Wilder, Jr., Runningback for Florida State
- 2011-2012 Florida High School Grades | StateImpact Florida
- Mike Williams NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com
- Orson Charles, TE for the Cincinnati Bengals at NFL.com
- James Wilder, Jr. Bio - Florida State University Official Athletic Site