Hillsborough County Public Schools
The SDHC serves all of Hillsborough County. It is the third largest school district in Florida and the 8th largest district in the United States. It is governed by the School Board of Hillsborough County, which consists of seven elected members and one superintendent, who is hired by the board. MaryEllen Elia has served as Superintendent of Hillsborough County Public Schools since 2005.
The Hillsborough County School Board consists of seven elected officials, five of whomm are elected by voters in their district and two whom are elected on a countywide basis. As of November 19, 2013 the board consist of:
- District 1: Susan L. Valdes (Vice Chair)
- District 2: Candy Olson
- District 3: Cindy Stuart
- District 4: Stacy R. White
- District 5: Doretha W. Edgecomb
- County-Wide District 6: April Griffin
- County-Wide District 7: Carol Kurdell (Chair)
Hillsborough County Schools provide athletic opportunities for high school boys in baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field, and wrestling. For high school girls, the sports are basketball, cheer, cross country, flag football, golf, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, and volleyball.
Gates Foundation Grant
In 2009, The Hillsborough County School District was awarded a one hundred million dollar grant by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to improve education through improved mentoring and evaluation of teachers.
- Table A-1. Selected statistics for the 100 largest school districts in the United States and jurisdictions, by school district: School year 2003–04
- Hillsborough school board accepts $100M Gates grant | Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune | TBO.com