Hermit of Mink Hollow
|Hermit of Mink Hollow|
|Studio album by Todd Rundgren|
|Released||April 7, 1978|
|Recorded||Utopia Sound Studios, Lake Hill, NY|
|Todd Rundgren chronology|
|Singles from Hermit of Mink Hollow|
|Rolling Stone||(Not rated) |
Hermit of Mink Hollow is Todd Rundgren's eighth solo album, released in 1978. It was his first album to have no other musicians credited, though large portions of earlier albums also had been recorded alone.
The album is reminiscent of the artist's earlier, more pop-oriented records and marks a lyrical return to the subject of relationships (as in the single "Can We Still Be Friends"), as well as his views on social inequality (as in the songs "Bag Lady" and "Bread"). It remains one of his most popular albums.
The original track listing for the album, which can be found on the back of the album jacket, was rejected by Bearsville as being too haphazard. Bearsville re-listed the songs in a more "Pop Friendly" sequence, comprising the lighter poppy songs on "The Easy Side" and the more cerebral or harder rock songs on "The Difficult Side" All songs written by Todd Rundgren.
Side one - The Easy Side
- "All the Children Sing" - 3:08
- "Can We Still Be Friends" - 3:34
- "Hurting for You" - 3:20
- "Too Far Gone" - 2:38
- "Onomatopoeia" - 1:34
- "Determination" - 3:11
Side two - The Difficult Side
- "Bread" - 2:48
- "Bag Lady" - 3:13
- "You Cried Wolf" - 2:20
- "Lucky Guy" - 2:04
- "Out of Control" - 3:56
- "Fade Away" - 3:04
- Todd Rundgren - Arranger, Instruments, Producer, Vocals.
In popular culture
- In the 30 Rock episode The C Word, show producer Liz Lemon tries to tell her co-producer Pete Hornberger that someone's insulted her with a word that "rhymes with your favorite Todd Rundgren album," expecting him to say Runt. Pete responds: "It rhymes with The Hermit of Mink Hollow?"
|1978||Canada RPM Album Chart||27|
|1978||UK Albums Chart||42|
|1978||US Billboard Pop Albums||36|
|1978||"Can We Still Be Friends"||Canada RPM Singles Chart||37|
|1978||"Can We Still Be Friends"||Billboard Pop Singles||29|
|1978||"Can We Still Be Friends"||Billboard Adult Contemporary||45|
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. Hermit of Mink Hollow at AllMusic
- Rolling Stone review
- "allmusic ((( Todd Rundgren > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "allmusic ((( Todd Rundgren > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-12-17.