||This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015)
Hero Cycles Limited, based in Ludhiana Punjab, India, is a manufacturer of bicycles and bicycle related products.
Hero group was established by the four Munjal brothers, namely, Brijmohan Lall Munjal, Satyanand Munjal, Om Prakash Munjal and Late Dayanand Munjal.
- The brothers hailed from a small town called Kamalia, now in Pakistan.
- The brothers established a business of bicycle spare parts in the year 1944 in Amritsar.
- After partition and independence of India, the brothers moved to Ludhiana and started a bicycle unit called Hero Cycles in 1956.
- By 1975, Hero Cycles became the largest bicycle manufacturer in India.
- In 1984, Hero group joined Honda Motors of Japan to create Hero Honda Motors Limited which soon became one of the market leader in motor-cycle sales in India.
- In 1986, Hero Cycles Limited entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world.
- By 2004, Hero Honda became the world's largest manufacturer of two-wheelers with over 48% market share in India.
- In August 2011, Hero and Honda parted company, thus forming Hero MotoCorp and Honda moving out of the Hero Honda joint venture.
- In 2013, Hero launched its new bicycle HERO SPRINT