|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2013)|
|Subsidiary of a public company|
|Industry||Computer storage devices|
|Predecessor||Hitachi Global Storage Technologies|
|John F. Coyne (CEO & President)
Steve Milligan (President)
|Products||Hard disk drives|
Number of employees
HGST, Inc. (formerly Hitachi Global Storage Technologies) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital that sells hard disk drives, solid-state drives, and external storage products and services.
On March 8, 2012, Western Digital (WD) acquired Hitachi Global Storage Technologies for $3.9 billion in cash and 25 million shares of WD common stock valued at approximately $0.9 billion. The deal resulted in Hitachi, Ltd. owning approximately 10 percent of WD shares outstanding, and reserving the right to designate two individuals to the board of directors of WD. It was agreed that WD would operate with WD Technologies and HGST as wholly owned subsidiaries and they would compete in the marketplace with separate brands and product lines.
To address the requirements of regulatory agencies, in May 2012 WD divested to Toshiba assets that enabled Toshiba to manufacture and sell 3.5-inch hard drives for the desktop and consumer electronics markets.
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies Japan, Ltd. is the Japanese branch of Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, Inc.
In November 2013, the company announced a 6 TB capacity drive filled with helium. In September 2014, the company announced a 10 TB helium drive, which uses shingled magnetic recording to improve density.
Hard drives and solid-state drives
- Ultrastar – Enterprise-class line of 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch HDDs with SCSI, Fibre Channel, SAS, and SATA interfaces; and a line of 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch Fibre Channel and SAS SSDs.
- Deskstar – Desktop-class line in 3.5-inch form factor with SATA interfaces.
- Travelstar – Mobile-class line in 2.5-inch form factor with SATA interfaces.
- Endurastar – Ruggedized line in 2.5-inch form factor with SATA interfaces, primarily for automotive applications.
- Cinemastar – 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch form factors, optimized for consumer electronics applications requiring quiet operation and streaming support.
- LifeStudio products, announced in 2010 but now discontinued, were external hard drives that combine photo organization software, a 3D Wall for displaying content, a connected USB Flash key.
- G-Technology external storage products, acquired in 2009, are sold to Apple Macintosh communities, including users of multimedia content such as Final Cut Pro digital audio/video production professionals.
- Touro family of cloud storage backup products.
- Hitachi-LG Data Storage (HLDS) – joint venture of Hitachi and LG; manufacturer of DVD and Blu-ray drives.
- Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) – manufacturer of modular enterprise storage systems, software and services.
- Hitachi Global Storage Technologies - Background
- Hitachi Establishes "Hitachi Global Storage Technologies," Taking A Bold New Step for Storage Innovation
- Hitachi buys IBM disk drive business, June 6, 2002
- Hitachi Completes Transfer of Hard Disk Drive Business to Western Digital
- WD Completes Acquisition of Hitachi Global Storage Technologies - Creates the Industry's Deepest Technology Capability and Broadest Product Portfolio
- theverge.com: Western Digital completes $4.8b Hitachi GST buyout, becomes world's largest HDD manufacturer
- WD Reaches Agreement with Toshiba Corporation to Divest Certain 3.5-Inch HDD Assets
- WD Completes Divestiture of Assets to Toshiba Corporation
- Chris Mellor (November 4, 2013). "Helium-Filled disks lift off: You can't keep these 6TB beasts down". The Register. Retrieved November 5, 2013.
- Geoff Gasior (September 9, 2013). "Shingled platters breathe helium inside HGST's 10TB hard drive". The Tech Report. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- Dong Ngo (July 7, 2010). "Hitachi unveils LifeStudio storage solutions". CNet news blog. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- "Hitachi GST Completes Acquisition of Fabrik, Inc. — Company Sets Stage for Continued Global Expansion" (PDF). News release. April 6, 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 10, 2010. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- HGST (English)
- 日立グローバルストレージテクノロジーズ (Japanese)
- "Hitachi Establishes 'Hitachi Global Storage Technologies,' Taking a Bold New Step for Storage Innovation" (Hitachi, Ltd. press release)