Hooked on a Feeling
|"Hooked on a Feeling"|
|Single by B. J. Thomas|
|from the album On My Way|
|"Hooked on a Feeling"|
|Single by Blue Swede|
|from the album Hooked on a Feeling|
|B-side||"Gotta Have Your Love"|
|Blue Swede singles chronology|
"Hooked on a Feeling" is a 1968 pop song written by Mark James and originally performed by B. J. Thomas. Featuring the sound of the electric sitar, the song reached number five in 1969 on the Billboard Hot 100.
In 1971, Jonathan King produced his own version, adding ooga chuka jungle chants similar to, but not exactly the same as, Johnny Preston's "Running Bear". King described it as "a reggae rhythm by male voices". His version reached number 23 on the UK Singles Chart in 1972.
In 1974, the Swedish pop group Blue Swede with Björn Skifs as lead singer did a cover, which included their own version of King's "ooga chuka" introduction. Their version reached number one in the United States  and was revived on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack in 1992. This song was also used as the "Dancing Baby" song in the Ally McBeal TV show.
In 2013, B. J. Thomas included "Hooked on a Feeling", in duet with Sara Niemietz, on The Living Room Sessions. The album includes new interpretations of many of Thomas' greatest hits, with production and instrumental arrangements by Kyle Lehning, and was released on the Wrinkled Records label.
- "BJ Thomas". Credits. AllMusic. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- Fred Bronson (2003). The Billboard book of number 1 hits. Random House. ISBN 978-0-8230-7677-2.
- "Blue Swede". Hooked on a Feeling. AllMusic. 1974. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (1992). "Reservoir Dogs [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]". AllMusic. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "RPM Country Singles for December 23, 1978". RPM. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "David Hasselhoff Hooked on a Feeling". AllMusic. 1999. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- Jonas, Liana (2000). "The Offspring Conspiracy of One". AllMusic. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- Lousararian, Lori (18 June 2013). "B.J. THOMAS TO DUET WITH SARA NIEMIETZ ON "HOOKED ON A FEELING" AT THE GRAND OLE OPRY". The Living Room Sessions. Wrinkled Records. Archived from the original on 20 July 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- Thomas Erlewine, Stephen. "The Living Room Sessions". Review. AllMusic. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
"Sunshine on My Shoulders" by John Denver
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single (Blue Swede version)
April 6, 1974 (one week)
"Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John
"That's What You Do to Me" by Charly McClain
|RPM Country Tracks number-one single (Carroll Baker version)
December 23, 1978 (two weeks)
"Burgers and Fries" by Charley Pride