House of Al-Falasi
The Al Maktoum family descends from the Al Bu Falasah (now known as Al-Falasi) section of the Bani Yas, a highly respected and authoritative tribal federation that has been the dominant power throughout most of what is now the United Arab Emirates. In 1833, a large, influential group of the Bani Yas moved to Dubai under the leadership of Maktoum bin Buti bin Maktoum. The Al Maktoum family, a part of the highly regarded Al Bu Falasah section of the Bani Yas, continues to rule Dubai to this day. As befits a tribe from which so many noble families have come, the members of the Bani Yas tribe are well known for their patronage of, and involvement in, the literary arts. They are also renowned for their generosity, hospitality and chivalry, as were their Bedouin forefathers.[dead link]
Famous members of the House of Al-Falasi:
- Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum - Ruler of Dubai, and leader of the tribe
- Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum - president of the Department of Civil Aviation, CEO and chairman of The Emirates Group and Chairman of Dubai World
- Lahej Saif Saeed Al Falasi - Chairman Of Academy of Technical Training
- Sultan bin Ahmed bin Sulayem - Chairman, Dubai World
- Mohammad Ali Bin Zayed Al Falasi - Vice Governor of UAE Central Bank[unreliable source?][verification needed]
- Mohammad bin Abdallah Al Gaz - Former Chairman of the UAE Central Bank
- Jamal Mohammed Al Hai - Chairman of the Executive Board, Department of Civil Aviation, UAE parliament member.
- Abdulla Bin Amer Al Falasi - Famous poet.
- Mohamed Albuflasa - Bahraini opposition leader