|Elevation||5,095 ft (1,553 m)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||178333|
Hygiene is an unincorporated community with a U.S. Post Office in Boulder County, Colorado, United States. Application for the first Hygiene Post Office was made by Rev. Jacob Stoner Flory of the United Church of the Brethren on May 28, 1883 ZIP Code 80533. This community's name stems from a time when it had a sanitarium to work with tuberculosis patients.
The prestigious Hygiene Home was developed by Jacob S. Flory. Articles of Incorporation were filed with the Boulder County Clerk as the Crystal Fountains, Hygienic Home, and White Sulphur Springs Company. A Warranty Deed was obtained for the property adjacent to the present Hygiene Elementary School on January 31, 1882. An advertisement in the "Longmont Ledger" April 13, 1883 announced that the Hygiene Home was open for the season.
The Brethren Church is no longer in use as a church. The building is owned by the cemetery association, which granted its use to the Hygiene Community Association as a community center and meeting place. As of summer, 2013, it is in the process of restoration.
Hygiene has a US Post Office (80533), a church (Hygiene United Methodist Church), a school (Hygiene Elementary) and a cemetery. A community association was formed in 2011 to preserve historical information and promote the community. Also see Economy below.
"Hygiene Hay Days" was created as an autumn community festival by Hygiene business owners in 2012. In 2013 the festival was organized by a cooperative effort of business owners and the Hygiene Community Association.
Hygiene is located at(40.1894,-105.1776).
Companies located in and around Hygiene as of July 30, 2013 include:
- Castle Keep, rental storage
- Clark's Hygiene RV Storage, parking/storage for RVs, sales of hay and propane
- Crane Hollow Cafe (formerly Hygiene Cafe)
- David Grace Chiropractor
- Designer Geckos, unusually colored leopard geckos
- Harvey Nelson Equipment, farm equipment dealer
- Homegrown Herbals
- Hygiene Feed and Supply, traditional feed store
- Joyful Learning, K-12 educational enrichment academy
- Kyasky Woodworking LLC, cabinetry/furniture fine woodworking
- Mary's Market and Deli (formerly Clark's Market)
- Napp Landscape Services
- Praha, high-end Czech/continental cuisine restaurant
- Rabbit Brush Gallery, local arts/crafts
- Sol y Sombra organic farm, farm camps
- StickerGiant.com Inc. manufactures pressure-sensitive labels and stickers.
- SunflowerCommunityAcupuncture.com - Community Style Acupuncture clinic
- Toohey & Sons - naturally grown produce and grass hay
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Boulder County Post Offices A-L; Carnegie Branch Library for Local history
- Boulder County Land records through ICRIS