Intersex Awareness Day
|Intersex Awareness Day|
|Observed by||Intersex community, LGBT communities & allies|
|Next time||26 October 2014|
The event marks the first public demonstration by intersex people in North America. On October 26, 1996, intersex activists from Intersex Society of North America (carrying the sign "Hermaphrodites With Attitude") and allies from Transexual Menace demonstrated in Boston, outside the venue where the American Academy of Pediatrics was holding its annual conference.
Intersex Awareness Day is an international day of grass-roots action to end shame, secrecy and unwanted genital cosmetic surgeries on intersex children. Between October 26 and November 8, intersex organizations try to bring attention to the challenges intersex individuals face, culminating in the Intersex Day of Remembrance on the birthday of Herculine Barbin, also sometimes known as Intersex Solidarity Day.
- "Inter Sex Awareness Day". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- Intersex Awareness Day, 2013, Organisation Intersex International Australia, 26 October 2013
- "The 14 days of intersex". Star Observer. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Celebrate Intersex Awareness Day: October 26, 2004". Egale Canada. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Intersex: Myths and Realities". Transfaith Online. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- GUEST POST: October 26 is Intersex Awareness Day, GLAAD, 26 October 2013
- (German) Am 8. November ist Inter*sex Solidarity Day, IVIM/OII Germany, 26 October 2013