|Type||EPG and Smart TV|
|Industry||Media & Telecoms|
|Headquarters||Northwich, United Kingdom|
|Key people||Nick Markham (Chairman)
Ken Austin (Vice Chairman)
Julie Austin (MD Inview Solutions)
|Products||Inview Inside, EPG, Video on demand, set-top boxes, Tier 2 TV|
Inview Technology (Inview Technology Ltd or simply Inview) is a UK based a middleware technology company specialising in advanced EPGs for digital TV. Their EPG for smart TV is unusual in being TV centric; television broadcast and internet content are simultaneously accessible to the viewer. In addition, their EPG has an extremely small footprint; this means that it fits on cheap silicon chips as used in Tier 2 TV products. Inview’s cloud platform also removes a requirement for the Operator to invest in cost heavy server and headend hardware. As a result an Inview enabled set-top box (usually retailing for approximately $30) turns any existing TV into a smart TV with an advanced EPG. They were involved in the analogue switch over in the UK since the late 1990s and continue to advise other countries worldwide. Nick Markham, Inview's Chairman developed the concept of Freeview alongside the BBC.
In 2014 their partners range from Humax to Skyworth, China’s largest set-top box company, and silicon partners range from Mstar to Broadcom. Martin Edwards (Honorary Life President of Manchester United) and Koen Van Driel (ex-CEO of Thomson and Grundig Set Top Box Divisions) joined the Board of Directors in February 2014.
Inview's roots go back to 1996 when Ken and Julie Austin built a team of engineers specialising in digital TV software.
Inview provided a chip based EPG, broadcast data service and a digital TV software platform for the free to air terrestrial market. These new products were developed to address the need for a class leading EPG in the UK that could be deployed on low‐cost set-top boxes without incurring additional costs. 10 million products have been deployed in the past 15 years and MORAR (Independent brand measurement company) established that the end-user satisfaction levels were as high as 96%.
Inview includes broadcast interactive bypass options whereby operators can launch a broadcast service with over the air services, VOD and advertising options. In the past they have worked with Virgin, Sky and ITV.
Inview, over the last 15 years, has been providing EPGs for the UK free-to-air market and is used by 24 brands with a total of 94 products. It provided the first Freeview EPG services and the first Freeview PVR for the UK. To date, the company has 10 million products across 30 brands world-wide. It was one of the first companies to launch a broadcast TV listings service.
The platform has now appeared in retail outlets in a number of countries, including: Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Poland, Australia, Africa and the Middle East and in partnership with Farncombe in Latin America. The platform recognizes which country it's in and shows content relevant to that country as well as the international content. At present, Inview's smart TV solution is the only smart TV solution available in the Tier 2 (low cost) TV sector.
In October 2012, Inview developed "Liberator 3", an OTT cloud-based platform for Pay TV programme providers, telecom companies and internet service providers wishing to equip their customers with tailor made smart TV set-top boxes for TV and broadband internet content. The Inview platform lends itself to this application due to its small footprint (low initial cost), cloud based system (low maintenance cost for large volumes) and modular design (easy adaptation).
Smart TV ecosystem provider Inview has signed an agreement with Altech Multimedia to develop low cost broadcast and connected TV solutions for Africa and the Middle East.
Inview’s latest platform provides viewers with access to movies on a transactional video-on-demand (TVOD) basis, and a library of on-demand TV content available on an SVOD basis including TV series, children’s programming, classic movies and music videos. in August 2012 Inview agreed to supply Altech SetOne with an IP platform that will be sold across its range of DVB-S products, which will give German consumers access to a range of smart TV applications.
Inview has developed an HDMI dongle streaming device called "Lolipop" which is controlled through a smartphone using gesture control. This allows content to be viewed in a second room without the need of a second set-top box. It can also be used on its own without a set-top box to provide access to content via an HDMI dongle. 
In February 2014, Martin Edwards (Honorary Life President of Manchester Unites) and Koen Van Driel (ex-CEO of Thomson and Grundig Set Top Box Divisions) were appointed Board Directors of Inview Technology. At Thomson, Koen grew the company to be the World’s largest set top box manufacturer. Martin Edwards was Chairman of Manchester United for 23 years from 1980-2003 and holds the position of honorary life president. Martin Edwards commented on Digital TV Europe, “Inview is making a major impact in digital television worldwide with a widely praised great user experience. They are actively winning business across the world and there continues to be a strong demand for their products.”
Inview is currently supplying their own set-top boxes in Italy, Spain, Poland, Portugal, France and Germany, without the customer being tied into a subscription service. Together with the On Demand Group (ODG) [dead link]
In the past few years Inview in partnership with companies such as Top Up TV and Teletext. The company is based in Northwich, Cheshire, UK and is privately owned. The founder Ken Austin is an expert in the EPG field.
- Enhanced TV
- Hybrid digital TV
- Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV
- Interactive television
- List of digital distribution platforms for mobile devices
- Over-the-top content
- "Inview Technology Partner with Novatek to Launch Innovative Digital TV Platform". sys-con.com Media. 2012-04-16.
- "Inview Technology's official website". Inview Technology. 2013-08-31.
- The Guardian; 28 October 2003; accessed 14 February 2014.
- "Skyworth and Inview join forces to offer OTT solutions to payTV operators". Inview Techology. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Inview Technology. digitaltveurope.net/ http://www.digitaltveurope.net/tag/inview-technology/
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "Inview Believes Tier-2 Connected TV Market is On Its Way". Parks Associates: Connections. 2012-01-19.
- "InView ready to switch on global market". Manchester Evening News. 02/03/2012.
- Broadbandtvnews.com; Inview enters African market on Altech; 13 March 2013
- Telecompaper; Farncombe, Inview partner on OTT services in LatAm; saw it on the web 10 June 2013
- "Acetrax to launch online movie service with Inview platform". Digital TV Europe. 2012-01-20.
- "Inview signs German Smart TV deal". Digital TV Europe. 2012-09-19.
- "Inview to reveal next generation OTT solution at TV Connect 2014". http://advanced-television.com/. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Inview website". Inview Technology. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Thomson Unveils Unique Mobile Set-Top Box With Antennas And LCD Screen". wi-fitechnology.com. Retrieved 5 November 2002.
- "History". Inview Technology Ltd. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Full suite of VOD services to be made available on millions of connected TV sets". OnDemand. 2012-03-19.
- "Radio Times to run Freeview EPG". Broadband TV News. 2011-01-31.
- "Inview’s own Oficial Wepsite". Inview. 2012-03-19.[dead link]