Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ruben Östlund|
|Produced by||Erik Hemmendorff|
|Written by||Ruben Östlund
|Cinematography||Marius Dybwad Brandrud|
|Edited by||Ruben Östlund|
|Distributed by||AB Svensk Filmindustri|
Involuntary (Swedish: De ofrivilliga) is a 2008 Swedish film directed by Ruben Östlund described as "a tragic comedy or comic tragedy." It features five parallel stories with human group behaviour as the common theme. The film is notable for its long takes with no cuts within the scenes. This is related to Östlund's background as a skiing film director, where a cut would only indicate failure. The longest scene lasts for seven minutes.
The film received mainly positive reviews. It has won several awards at international film festivals and was nominated for five Swedish Guldbagge Awards including Best Film, but didn't win in any category. It was also selected as Sweden's submission for Best Foreign Language Film at the 82nd Academy Awards.
The work with the script started already in autumn 2004, when Östlund and Hemmendorff started to write down vignettes on the theme, inspired by or taken directly from their own experiences.
Filming started in the summer 2006. One scene per day was shot during the production, with around 20 takes for each scene, although some scenes demanded far more. The independent stories were shot one at a time, meaning that many of the actors never met before the premiere.
The general reception in Swedish press was positive. As of 14 July 2009 it had an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews at the Swedish-language review site Kritiker.se, making it the highest rated Swedish film from 2008. An exception was Jan-Olov Andersson at Aftonbladet, who rated the film 2 out of 5 and dismissed it as "Roy Andersson light."
Awards and honours
|Brussels European Film Festival||Golden Iris||Ruben Östlund||Won|
|Geneva Cinéma Tout Ecran||Best Director||Ruben Östlund||Won|
|Guldbagge Awards||Best Film||Erik Hemmendorff||Nominated|
|Best Director||Ruben Östlund||Nominated|
|Best Screenplay||Ruben Östlund and Erik Hemmendorff||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Cecilia Milocco||Nominated|
|Best Cinematography||Marius Dybwad Brandrud||Nominated|
|Mar del Plata Film Festival||Special Jury Award||Ruben Östlund||Won|
|Miami International Film Festival||FIPRESCI Award||Won|
|Milan Film Festival||Special Mention||Ruben Östlund||Won|
|Palm Springs International Film Festival||FIPRESCI Award||Won|
|Stockholm International Film Festival||Audience Award||Ruben Östlund||Won|
|Best Screenplay||Ruben Östlund and Erik Hemmendorff||Won|
- Involuntary at the Swedish Film Institute. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- Carlberg, Ingrid (2009-01-18). "Folkfilmaren Ruben Östlund" (in Swedish). Dagens Nyheter. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- Rehlin, Gunnar (2009-09-15). "Swedes send 'Involuntary' to Oscars". Variety. Retrieved 2009-09-16.
- Pham, Annika (2008-10-30). "Interview with Ruben Östlund". Cineuropa.org. Retrieved 2009-07-13.
- Pallas, Hynek (2007-01-05) "Sökandet efter rätt ögonblick" (in Swedish). Svenska Dagbladet. Retrieved on 2009-02-15.
- Holmberg, Jonas. "Den nya våren" (PDF) (in Swedish). FLM. Autumn 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- Page on Festival-cannes.com
- "De ofrivilliga" (in Swedish). Kritiker.se. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- "Top films 2008" (in Swedish). Kritiker.se. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- Andersson, Jan-Olov. (2008-11-28) "Roy Andersson i light-version" (in Swedish). Aftonbladet. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- AWARDS 2008 at fffb.be (PDF)
- Palmarès de la 14e édition Cinéma Tous Ecrans
- "2008 års Guldbaggenomineringar" (in Swedish). Swedish Film Institute.
- Awards at Mardelplatafilmfest.com (DOC)
- "And the winner is... ." Miami International Film Festival
- 2008 Premi at Milanofilmfestival.it
- McDonald, Kathy A. (2010-01-17). "Palm Springs fest hands out prizes". Variety. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- Vinnare 2008 at Stockholmfilmfestival.se
- Official website
- Involuntary at the Internet Movie Database
- Involuntary at the Swedish Film Institute Database
- Trailer with English subtitles (from Cinema.nl)
- English language video interview (from Cinema.nl)