Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
|Jaco the Galactic Patrolman|
Cover of the kanzenban edition of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, depicting Jaco, Omori and Tights.
(Ginga Patorōru Jako)
|Genre||Adventure, Comedy, Science fiction|
|Written by||Akira Toriyama|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump|
|Original run||July 13, 2013 – September 30, 2013|
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (銀河パトロール ジャコ Ginga Patorōru Jako?) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Akira Toriyama. It was serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump from July to September 2013, with the eleven chapters collected into a single volume by Shueisha.
The eleventh chapter reveals that the story is set before the events of Toriyama's Dragon Ball and features some of its characters. The first two chapters received a "Vomic" adaptation for the television show Sakiyomi Jum-Bang!. Viz Media serialized Jaco simultaneously in their digital Weekly Shonen Jump and will release the single volume in North America in 2015.
The alien Jaco crash lands on Earth and meets the retired scientist Omori. Jaco is a Galactic Patrolman, a policeman of the universe, that has come to Earth to protect it from an evil alien attack.
- Jaco (ジャコ Jako?)
Voiced by: Tsubasa Yonaga
- An alien Galactic Patrolman with a strong sense of justice.
- Omori (大盛 Ōmori?)
Voiced by: Issei Futamata
- A former scientist that lives on the island his former laboratory was on.
- Tights (タイツ Taitsu?)
- A young girl who befriends Jaco and Omori and aspires to be a science fiction writer.
- Katayude (固茹?)
Voiced by: Takuya Satō
- A government official trying to get Omori to vacate his island so it can be turned into a resort.
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is Akira Toriyama's first serial in 13 years, following Sand Land in 2000. He provided insight on its creation in digital content for Weekly Shōnen Jump's Jump Live! mobile app. He revealed that he began planning the manga a year earlier and that it was originally set to be serialized during the release of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, but working on two hours of sleep a night exhausted him and he fell four months behind.
The author drew everything on a computer, and for the first time created storyboards separate from manuscripts. He first created a storyboard that he sent to his editor for approval. Once approved, he used the storyboard as a base to draw a manuscript that is later drawn again in finalization with adjustments to the image if necessary. Prior to Jaco he would use a manuscript as a storyboard so as to only have to draw a chapter twice instead of three times. His editor finished the lettering and he occasionally had someone else do the series' logo. Additionally, Toriyama stated this would probably be the last manga he will provide the pictures for by himself.
He noted that Jaco the Galactic Patrolman was being simultaneously released overseas and said that while foreign fans were probably expecting an action series like Dragon Ball, Jaco is simple and they might have trouble understanding Japanese elements. Toriyama called the manga a "goofy and fun story of friendship" and named it his favorite story and main character that he has created.
Written and illustrated by Akira Toriyama, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman was serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump from issue #33 on July 13 to #44 on September 30, 2013 in celebration of the magazine's 45th anniversary. The eleven chapters were collected into one tankōbon and one larger kanzenban that were released on April 4, 2014 by Shueisha. Both versions contain a bonus story focusing on Dragon Ball that unveils Goku's mother, while the kanzenban alone includes a postcard, a key ring and a Galactic Patrol badge. The series was released digitally on July 4, 2014.
Viz Media began serializing Jaco the Galactic Patrolman in English in their digital Weekly Shonen Jump magazine just two days after its debut in Japan. The magazine published the bonus Dragon Ball story in its May 7, 2014 issue. Viz will release the collected volume in North America in January 2015.
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|01||April 4, 2014||ISBN 4-08-870892-8||January 2015||ISBN N/A|
In January 2014, the first two chapters of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman received a four-part "Vomic" adaptation for the television show Sakiyomi Jum-Bang!. The segment has voice actors act over a manga series as the pages are shown on screen.
That same year, Jaco and Tights make a cameo appearance in the eleventh chapter of Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission, a Dragon Ball spin-off manga drawn for V Jump by Toyotarō.
In its debut week of March 31–April 6, 2014, Oricon reported that the regular tankōbon volume sold 30,802 copies while the kanzenban edition sold 47,482. The kanzenban sold an additional 31,370 in its second week. A total of 79,985 copies of the regular edition were sold by its fifth week, before the series fell off the Oricon chart.
- 鳥山明氏、13年ぶり新連載決定 タイトルは『銀河パトロール ジャコ』 (in Japanese). Oricon. 2013-07-01. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- "Behind the Scenes of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman #1". Jump LIVE! (in Japanese) (Shueisha). 2013-08-05.
- "Behind the Scenes of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman #2". Jump LIVE! (in Japanese) (Shueisha). 2013-08-12.
- "Dragon Ball's Toriyama to Launch Ginga Patrol Jako Manga". Anime News Network. 2013-06-26. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- 銀河パトロール ジャコ (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- 銀河パトロール ジャコ 特装版 (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Akira Toriyama to Draw Manga About Goku's Mom". Anime News Network. 2014-02-05. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Dragon Ball Bonus Story to Run in Viz's Shonen Jump on Monday". Anime News Network. 2014-04-03. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "銀河パトロール ジャコ (ジャンプコミックスDIGITAL) [Kindle版]" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- "Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump Adds New Akira Toriyama Series". Anime News Network. 2013-07-01. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Three Major Announcements!". Viz Media. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- "Viz Adds Assassination Classroom, Resident Evil Manga". Anime News Network. 2014-03-04. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- "Super 17, Original Anime to Appear in Dragon Ball Xenoverse Game". Anime News Network. 2014-12-17. Retrieved 2014-12-17.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, March 31-April 6". Anime News Network. 2014-04-09. Retrieved 2014-10-23.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, April 7-13". Anime News Network. 2014-04-16. Retrieved 2014-10-23.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, April 28-May 4". Anime News Network. 2014-05-07. Retrieved 2014-10-23.
- Official Jaco the Galactic Patrolman Vomic page
- Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia