Jason David Frank
|Jason David Frank|
Frank at the 2013 Wizard World
New York Experience in Manhattan.
September 4, 1973 |
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||214 lb (97 kg; 15.3 st)|
|Fighting out of||Houston, Texas|
|Rank||7th degree black belt in Karate
purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Frank originally auditioned for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in the pilot as the Red Ranger. He later tried out again in 1993 when he was 19. He was cast in the role of Tommy Oliver, the Green Ranger. His character later became the White Ranger.
Frank was supposed to be the lead character Adam Steele in VR Troopers (originally called "Cybertron") and shot a pilot episode before being called back to Power Rangers. According to both Frank and Brad Hawkins, Hawkins was to replace Frank originally as the White Ranger on Power Rangers. However, due to Frank's popularity with Ranger fans, he was brought back as the White Ranger again. Hawkins would take over on VR Troopers. The character, Adam Steele was renamed Ryan Steele.
After three seasons Mighty Morphin Power Rangers became Power Rangers: Zeo. The transition is part of the annual Ranger suit change to match the annual change of the Super Sentai series. Frank's character became the Red Zeo Ranger. The following year in Power Rangers: Turbo he became the first Red Turbo Ranger. During mid-season Frank and fellow cast members Johnny Yong Bosch, Nakia Burrise and Catherine Sutherland agreed to leave and were replaced.
After he left the series in 1997, Frank came back to Power Rangers as Zeo Ranger V in 2002 for the special 10th anniversary episode, entitled "Forever Red", in Power Rangers: Wild Force (reuniting with Austin St. John). He then reprised his role in 2004 in Power Rangers: Dino Thunder, as the Black Dino Ranger. During his time as the Black Dino Ranger he was always shown in long-sleeved shirts to cover his tattoos on his arms. This was also the case during "Forever Red" of Wild Force. Being the Black Dino Ranger was a favor to Douglas Sloan. He has joked that Saban and Disney are "both the same, they're cheap" but that he was impressed with the production crew for Dino Thunder. Frank will return in his role as Tommy Oliver in the series finale of Power Rangers Super Megaforce.
Frank has been featured on the YouTube channel "Bat in the Sun" in a miniseries following his everyday life. He also reprised his role of Tommy Oliver as the Mighty Morphin White Ranger in the "Super Power Beatdown" episodes, which pitted his White Ranger character against Mortal Kombat's Scorpion. In a following episode, Jason will play Tommy again but as the Might Morphin Green Ranger, pitted against Street Fighter's Ryu.
Fighting and martial arts
With his knowledge of many different styles of martial arts, Frank collected the most practical applications, modified them with his own philosophies and created his own blend of American Karate, Toso Kune Do.[unreliable source?] On June 28, 2003, he was inducted into the World Karate Union Hall of Fame.[unreliable source?] Frank appeared at the Arnold Classic on February 29, 2008, in Columbus, Ohio.
Mixed martial arts
Frank also has an interest in mixed martial arts. He was scheduled to fight against Ron 'The Badger' McMasters on June 23, 2007, at the Williamson County Pavilion in Marion, Illinois. However, Frank opted out of the fight since he did not appreciate the event getting changed from an MMA fight to an exhibition boxing match because his opponent was trained only in boxing, and because he felt that an exhibition match where both fighters are declared winners was "meaningless".
On August 21, 2009, Frank announced his signing with SuckerPunch Entertainment,[unreliable source?] a sports marketing and management company specializing in MMA. He began training with UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard. Frank made his much anticipated MMA debut for the United States Amateur Combat Association at the company's first event "Lonestar Beatdown: Houston" on January 30 at the Houston Arena Theatre. He defeated Jonathon "the Mack Truck" Mack in the first round by omoplata submission.[unreliable source?] Frank fought in his second fight at Lonestar Beatdown: Dallas on February 19 in Arlington, Texas. His opponent was Chris Rose who made his ring entrance wearing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles robe. Frank defeated Rose in round 1 by TKO (Strikes). On May 8, 2010, he fought for the Texas Rage in the Cage Amateur Association "Cage Rage 7" in State Farm Arena in Hidalgo, Texas. His opponent was James Willis. Frank defeated Willis via KO in 23 seconds of the first round with a rising knee.
Frank was scheduled to make his debut with Ultimate Warrior Challenge at their upcoming event on May 22 against James “Ray” Handy Jr. in a light heavyweight bout. On May 21, Frank had announced on his official Facebook fan page that James Handy was injured and Carlos Horn would replace him, changing the fight to a heavyweight bout. Frank defeated Horn in the first round by an armbar submission. Since turning pro, Frank has expressed interest in signing a deal with Strikeforce and potentially fighting Herschel Walker.
Frank announced on his Facebook fan page that he would be scheduled to make his professional debut on August 4, 2010 in Houston at "Puro Combate #1." He fought at heavyweight, with his opponent being Jose Roberto Vasquez. Frank won his pro MMA debut quickly at the time of 0:46 in the first round by a Rear Naked Choke Submission. Frank was scheduled for a Light Heavyweight bout on December 9, 2010 at Puro Combate 3. The fight was canceled on December 8 due to his opponent not being medically cleared.
He was then scheduled to face Shawn Machado on July 22, 2011 at Legacy FC 7. However, due to a possible biceps tear the fight was cancelled.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|1 match||1 win||0 losses|
|Win||1–0||Jose Roberto Vasquez||Submission (rear naked choke)||Texas Cage Fighting - Puro Combate 1||August 4, 2010||1||0:46||Houston, Texas, United States||Fought at Heavyweight|
Amateur mixed martial arts record
|Win||4–0||Carlos Horn||Submission (armbar)||UWC 8: Judgement Day||May 22, 2010||1||0:24||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||3–0||James Willis||KO (knee)||Texas Rage In The Cage: Cage Rage 7||May 8, 2010||1||0:23||McAllen, Texas, United States|
|Win||2–0||Chris Rose||TKO (strikes)||Lonestar Beatdown: Dallas||February 19, 2010||1||2:09||Arlington, Texas, United States|
|Win||1–0||Jonathon Mack||Submission (omoplata)||Lonestar Beatdown: Houston||January 30, 2010||1||1:07||Houston, Texas, United States||MMA Debut (Amateur)|
Accomplishments and awards
|Present||Seventh Degree Black Belt|
|June 28, 2003||Master of the Year (American Karate)|
|2006||"Ruff Man" Grand Champion|
|2006||Gold Medal (MTIA) Master Toddys Full contact Muay Thai|
|January 17, 2013||Guinness World Record (Most pine boards broken in freefall)|
Rising Sun Karate accomplishments and awards
|1994||Hall of Fame Award – American Karate Kung Fu Federation|
|2000||Fastest Growing Karate School – Fast Track Award|
|2000||Educational Funding Company – Program Direct Award – Rising Sun Karate Academy|
|2001||Centurion Club Award|
|2003||Master of the Year Award – World Karate Federation|
|2004||Master of the Year for Free-Style Martial Arts – USA Martial Arts|
|2005||Arnold Schwarzenegger Classics Master Appreciation Award.|
|2006||One of America's Top 10 Karate Schools – Awarded by President Nick Cokinos – Educational Funding Company|
|2007||Black Belt Hall of Fame Award – This award was given by Master Alan Goldberg in Atlantic City, New Jersey.|
|2007||Black Belt Hall of Fame – Most Successful Industry Leader. This award was given by Doctor Jim Thomas, 10th Degree Black Belt.|
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers||1993-1995||Tommy Oliver - Green/White Ranger|
|Cybertron||1994||Adam Steele - Cybertron|
|Power Rangers Zeo||1996||Tommy Oliver - Zeo Ranger 5-Red|
|Sweet Valley High||1996||A.J.|
|Power Rangers Turbo||1997||Tommy Oliver - Red Turbo Ranger|
|Power Rangers Wild Force||2002||Tommy Oliver - Zeo Ranger 5-Red|
|Power Rangers Dino Thunder||2004||Dr. Tommy Oliver - Black Dino Ranger|
|Power Rangers Super Megaforce||2014||Tommy Oliver - Green/White Ranger|
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie||1995||Tommy Oliver/The White Power Ranger|
|Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie||1997||Tommy Oliver/The Red Turbo Ranger|
|The Junior Defenders||2007||Tommy Keen ** movie was made in 1997, but not released until 2007|
|Fall Guy: The John Stewart Story||2007||John Stewart|
|The Blue Sun||2010|
|The One Warrior||2011||The One Warrior|
- Sisario, Ben (2004-02-29). "FOR YOUNG VIEWERS; Those Mighty Power Rangers Just Keep On Morphing". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- McCormick, Patricia S. (1995-02-12). "TELEVISION; . . . And a Parents' Guide to the Politics of Angel Grove". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- "THE POWER RANGERS ZEO NEWSLETTER - THE NEWSLETTER OF THE POWER RANGER CLUB - ISSUE #62 -- MAY 8, 1996 - "MAN, THEY'RE NEVER GONNA BELIEVE THIS ON THE INTERNET!"". Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- CYBERTRON: The Original Pilot for VR Troopers, Starring Jason David Frank!!![dead link]
- ""Power Rangers Q & A at AFO X", 7.51 in". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "Q&A At Afo X". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "Q&A at AKO X Part 5, 4.02 in". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Fishman, Scott. "Pro wrestling legends, Power Rangers at Florida Supercon in July - Wrestling". MiamiHerald.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Former 'Power Rangers' Star Set To Get In The Ring With UFC". Yahoo. 2010-06-22.
- "Not a Martial Ats Magazine: SP HAS OFFICIALLY MORPH’D MMA :: SuckerPunch Entertainment". Suckerpunchent.com. 2009-08-21. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "BLOG: 2003 WKU HALL OF FAME JUNE 28, 2003 - Chateau at Camelback Tannersville, Pa". Needmywebsite.com. 2009-01-22. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "Power Ranger to fight in cage - Daily Egyptian, Other Sports". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2008-06-30. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Power Ranger a no show - Daily Egyptian, Sports". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2008-03-15. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Not a Martial Arts source: SP HAS OFFICIALLY MORPH’D MMA". Suckerpunchent.com. 2009-08-21. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Hendricks, Maggie (2009-09-02). "Mighty Morphin Power Ranger morphs into an MMA fighter". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- By Damon Martin, MMAWeekly.com (2009-09-02). "Jason Frank goes from Power Ranger to MMA fighter". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "IT’S GO GO TIME! :: SuckerPunch Entertainment". Suckerpunchent.com. 2010-01-23. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "POWER RANGER AMATEUR MMA DEBUT SET- MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more". Mma Weekly. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Former Green Power Ranger makes MMA debut at Jan. 30 Lonestar Beatdown". Blogs.chron.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "JDF WINS MMA DEBUT! :: SuckerPunch Entertainment". Suckerpunchent.com. 2010-02-01. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Legacy Fights". Legacyfightingchampionship.com. 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Jason David Frank Lonestar Beatdown Feb 19 2010 - Arlington, TX". YouTube. 2010-02-19. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Jason David Frank Post Fight Interview - Lonestar Beatdown Dallas - 2/19/10". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Photo Gallery". Texas Rage in the Cage. 2010-05-08. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "UWC 8 - Judgement Day - May 22, 2010 - GMU Patriot Center - Fairfax, VA". Uwcmma.com. 2010-05-22. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- Name. "Jason Frank Victorious - MMA Disputed". Chicagonow.com. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Jason David Frank turns pro, wants in Strikeforce". mmaweekly. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "JASON DAVID FRANK - Official Fan Page". Facebook.com. 2010-06-18. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- [dead link]
- Laminack, Barry. "Breaking News: Jason Frank vs Shawn Machado fight off". Thecagedoor.net. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Green Power Ranger Wants to Go, Go and Fight CM Punk in his UFC Debut", by Anna Fogel, NESN.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jason David Frank.|
- Professional MMA record for Jason David Frank from Sherdog
- Jason David Frank at the Internet Movie Database
- Jason David Frank on Facebook
- Jason David Frank's channel on YouTube
- Jason David Frank on Twitter