|This article relies on references to primary sources. (February 2013)|
Jeffree Star at the July 2009 Warped Tour.
|Birth name||Jeffrey Lynn Steininger|
|Also known as||Jeffree Star|
|Born||Los Angeles County, California|
|Origin||Orange County, California|
|Genres||Pop, synthpop, electronic|
|Labels||Kon Live, Popsicle|
Jeffree Star (born Jeffrey Lynn Steininger) is an American model, fashion designer, makeup artist, DJ, and singer-songwriter residing in Beverly Hills, California. He started his music career on MySpace with over 25 million plays on his self-released music. He is known for his fashion line and his transgressive, gender-bending appearance and persona.
Jeffree Star was born in Los Angeles County, California. His father died when Star was 6 years old; subsequently he was raised solely by his mother, a model who frequently went on assignments. As a child Star regularly began experimenting with his mother's makeup and convinced her to let him wear it to school when he was in junior high. He moved to Los Angeles following his graduation from high school, supporting himself with various makeup, modeling, and music jobs. He later recalled spending his time on weekends "using a fake ID to attend Hollywood clubs dressed in mini dresses and nine inch high heels where celebrities would contract [Star] for makeup work at their homes", or "hiring [Star] as a model." Star reports that his weekend socializing at clubs and the makeup advice he offered eventually led to his modeling career.
Star used popular social networking website MySpace to further both his music as well as fashion design career. Star also used MySpace for blogging about his life while making social commentary on "self-image and confidence", fame, beauty and life. Star had built up a fan base on several websites but convinced many to join him on MySpace, giving his MySpace profile a large number of "friends" from the beginning. His MySpace photo shoots would frequently get over 50,000 comments when posted, and by November 2006, he was recognized as MySpace's most connected profile personality. Star also gained fame as one of the most popular unsigned artists with the daily rankings placing him in the top tier on MySpace.
Star's music career as an electronica and pop vocalist began when he befriended Peaches' drummer who encouraged him to make music. During the summer of 2007, Star was advertised as a part of the True Colors Tour 2007, which traveled through 15 cities in the United States and Canada. The tour, sponsored by the LGBT Logo channel, began on June 8, 2007 to coincide with Pride month.
In 2009 Star released his first studio LP Beauty Killer, which was described by allmusic reviewer Pemberton Roach as "a fun, no-frills dance-pop record" and "a harmlessly naughty guilty pleasure".
- Dempsey, John (May 22, 2007). "World of Wonders touts reality trio: Jeffree Star, Jim J. Bullock topline new shows". Variety. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Smith, Kevin (May 24, 2007). "Queen of the Internet". Arizona Star. Archived from the original on June 1, 2007. Retrieved June 9, 2007.
- Emonds, Craig (April 2, 2007). "MySpace continues to expedite music careers". South End Newspaper. Retrieved July 21, 2007.[dead link]
- Immediato, Linda (May 9, 2007). "Jeffree Star - The fairest one of all". LA Weekly. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- "Jeffree Star - tickets, tour dates, news". Allgigs.co.uk. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Bolter, Helen (November 29, 2007). "Let's Talk About C*NT! - Jeffree Star". Gigwise. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Haglund, David. "Tila Tequila, the first star of MySpace. - Slate Magazine". Slate.com. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "California Births, 1905 -1995". Family Tree Legends. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- "LAist Interview: Jeffree Star". laist. March 10, 2008. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- "SOME TRUTH FOR YOU...". Buzznet. Jeffree Star's Official Website.
- Star, Jeffree (July 20, 2007). "Jeffree Star's MySpace profile". MySpace. Archived from the original on September 11, 2007. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- Market News Publishing. (November 1, 2006) Kicks Off Retail Revolution.
- Weiner, Jonah (April 11, 2006)."Tila Tequila for President". Slate.com. Retrieved July 29, 2006.
- Naff, Lycia (June 23, 2007). "Britney to Join Cyndi Lauper's Tour for Surprise Show - Britney Spears". People.com. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Wayback.archive.org. September 30, 2007. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Beauty Killer". allmusic.com. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- "Deuce Nine Lives". sputnikmusic.com. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Review:Millionaires Ft. Jeffree Star - Catch Me If You Can (Single)". Hit The Floor Magazine. April 4, 2011. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Larry Tee Club Badd review". allmusic.com. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Jeffree Star|
|Wikinews has related news: Von D from "LA Ink" TV series sets world record for tattooing|