Ketchikan Gateway Borough, Alaska
|Ketchikan Gateway Borough, Alaska|
Location in the state of Alaska
Alaska's location in the U.S.
|Founded||13 September 1963|
1,754 sq mi (4,543 km²)
1,233 sq mi (3,193 km²)
521 sq mi (1,349 km²), 29.7%
11/sq mi (4.2/km²)
The borough has a total area of 1,754 square miles (4,542.8 km2), of which 1,233 square miles (3,193.5 km2) is land and 521 square miles (1,349.4 km2) (29.69%) is water. On May 19, 2008 a large part of the former Prince of Wales-Outer Ketchikan Census Area was annexed, including the remainder of Misty Fjords National Monument that was not already in the borough, making the current figures much larger than these. A map of the current area can be seen here:
Adjacent boroughs and census areas
- Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area, Alaska - east and west
- City and Borough of Wrangell, Alaska - north
- Kitimat-Stikine Regional District, British Columbia - east
- Skeena-Queen Charlotte Regional District, British Columbia - south (water boundary only, across Dixon Entrance to Hecate Strait)
National protected areas
- Tongass National Forest (part)
According to the 2010 census, there were 13,477 people, 5,305 households, and 3,369 families residing in the borough. The population density was 11 people per square mile (4/km²). There were 6,166 housing units at an average density of 5 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 68.7% White, 0.7% Black or African American, 14.3% Native American, 7.1% Asian (5.8% Filipino, 0.3% Chinese, 0.2% Japanese), 0.2% Pacific Islander (0.1% Hawaiian), 0.7% from other races, and 8.3% from two or more races. 4.3% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 3.31% reported speaking Tagalog at home, while 1.65% speak Spanish .
The median income for a household in the city was $61,695 and the median income for a family was $45,417. Males had a median income of $35,139 versus $37,500 for females. The per capita income for the city was $29,520. About 8.3% of the population were below the poverty line.
In 2000, there were 5,399 households out of which 36.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.50% were married couples living together, 11.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.70% were non-families. 26.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the borough the population was spread out with 28.20% under the age of 18, 7.50% from 18 to 24, 31.40% from 25 to 44, 25.10% from 45 to 64, and 7.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 104.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.30 males.
Cities and towns
- "5.10.020 Date of incorporation". Ketchikan Gateway Borough Code: A Codification of the General Ordinances of the Ketchikan Gateway Borough, Alaska. Seattle, WA: Code Publishing Company. 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- Ketchikan Gateway Borough GIS Department (2012-01-16) (PDF). Ketchikan Gateway Borough Service Areas & Facilities (Map). 1:31681. Section "Area". http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/documents/2012BoroughMap.pdf. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- Map: Ketchikan Gateway Borough, Alaska Department of Labor
- Ketchikan Gateway Borough official website
- Borough map, 2000 census: Alaska Department of Labor
- Borough map, 2010 census: Alaska Department of Labor
- Ketchikan Gateway Borough School District official website
- City of Ketchikan official website
- Conservation in Ketchikan