Kodiak Island Borough, Alaska
|Kodiak Island Borough, Alaska|
Location in the state of Alaska
Alaska's location in the U.S.
|Founded||24 September 1963|
12,024 sq mi (31,142 km²)
6,560 sq mi (16,990 km²)
5,464 sq mi (14,152 km²), 45.44%
3/sq mi (1/km²)
The borough has a total area of 12,024 square miles (31,142.0 km2), of which 6,560 square miles (16,990.3 km2) is land and 5,464 square miles (14,151.7 km2) (45.44%) is water. Most of the land area belongs to Kodiak Island, but a thin strip of coastal area on the western part of the Alaska Peninsula and other nearby islands (Afognak Island, Shuyak Island, Marmot Island, Raspberry Island, Little Raspberry Island, Whale Island, Spruce Island, Woody Island, Uganik Island, Sitkalidak Island, Tugidak Island, Sitkinak Island, Chirikof Island, and the Semidi Islands) are also in the borough. The waterway between the island and mainland is known as the Shelikof Strait. South of the island are the open waters of the Pacific Ocean, so the site is considered good for launching certain types of satellites. The Kodiak Launch Complex is ideal for putting satellites in Molniya and polar orbits.
Adjacent boroughs 
||Lake and Peninsula Borough||Kenai Peninsula Borough|
|Gulf of Alaska|
National protected areas 
- Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge (parts of Alaska Peninsula and Gulf of Alaska units)
- Alaska Peninsula National Wildlife Refuge (part)
- Becharof National Wildlife Refuge (part)
- Becharof Wilderness (part)
- Chugach National Forest (part)
- Katmai National Park and Preserve (part)
- Katmai Wilderness (part)
- Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,913 people, 4,424 households, and 3,256 families residing in the borough. The population density was 2 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 5,159 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 59.69% White, 0.96% Black or African American, 14.58% Native American, 16.04% Asian, 0.79% Pacific Islander, 2.78% from other races, and 5.16% from two or more races. 6.10% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 13.10% reported speaking Tagalog at home, while 5.28% speak Spanish .
There were 4,424 households out of which 45.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.70% were married couples living together, 8.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.40% were non-families. 19.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.07 and the average family size was 3.52.
In the borough the population was spread out with 32.40% under the age of 18, 8.30% from 18 to 24, 34.00% from 25 to 44, 20.40% from 45 to 64, and 4.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 112.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 117.40 males.
Cities and towns 
- Kodiak Station
- Larsen Bay
- Old Harbor
- Port Lions
- Womens Bay
See also 
- "Government". Kodiak Island, AK - Official Website. Kodiak Island Borough. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census Of Population And Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-04-21.