|Founded||Clif Bar & Company 1999|
|Headquarters||Emeryville, California, United States|
|Key people||Gary Erickson, Kit Crawford (Co-Owners and Co-CVOs), Kevin Cleary (CEO), Michelle Ferguson (Executive Vice President of Marketing)|
LUNA Bars are a brand of nutrition bar created by Clif Bar & Company in 1999. The product was the first nutrition bar aimed at women. The brand has expanded to cover nutritional drinks, protein bars, and LUNAFEST, a woman's film festival.
One of Clif Bar & Company's five company bottom lines is “Sustaining Our Community.” With this in mind, LUNA donates 1% of all product sales to charities that support environmental, social, and cultural needs, mainly to their primary charity, The Breast Cancer Fund.
In 2000, LUNA established LUNAFEST, a philanthropic traveling film festival with films written and directed by women. Individuals and organizations can register to host a LUNAFEST in their city, with LUNA providing the films and the materials. Through this fundraising model, the hosting organization can raise funds for the Breast Cancer Fund and the cause or organization of their choice (with 15% of LUNAFEST proceeds supporting the Breast Cancer Fund and the remaining 85% of funds supporting the nonprofit organization chosen by the host). Since 2000, LUNAFEST has raised over $456,000 for the Breast Cancer Fund and $785,000 for other women’s organizations. In the 2010-2011 season, LUNAFEST will travel to more than 150 communities across the country.
Team LUNA Chix
In 2001, Clif Bar co-owners and co-CEOs Gary Erickson and Kit Crawford launched the LUNA Pro Team, a women’s professional mountain biking team. In 2002, they expanded the program to include Team LUNA Chix, a network of women's teams across the country that focus on learning new sports, staying active, and raising money for the Breast Cancer Fund. Although initially focused on mountain biking, the LUNA Pro Team and Team LUNA Chix now also include running, triathlon and cycling teams. There are over 26 LUNA Chix teams in over 21 cities, with a total 260 members. They were featured in Fitness Magazine as one of fifteen organizations promoting the fight against breast cancer.
Various LUNA products has been profiled in Self, The New York Times, Glamour, Fitness, US Weekly, and received endorsements from Carrie Underwood and Cameron Diaz. It was voted the favorite energy bar by FitSugar readers.
- Blueberry Bliss
- Carmel Nut Brownie
- Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Peppermint Stick
- Chocolate Raspberry
- Chocolate Chunk
- Chocolate Dipped Coconut
- Cookie Dough
- Cookies ‘n Cream Delight™
- Iced Oatmeal Raisin
- Nutz Over Chocolate®
- Peanut Butter Cookie
- Peanut Honey Pretzel
- Toasted Nuts 'n Cranberry
- Vanilla Almond
- White Chocolate Macadamia
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Green Tea Coconut
- Luna Protein Chocolate
- Luna Protein Chocolate Cherry Almond
- Luna Protein Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Luna Protein Chocolate Coconut Almond
- Luna Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Luna Protein Cookie Dough
- Luna Lemon Vanilla
- Luna Protein Mint Chocolate Chip
- Luna Fiber Chocolate Raspberry
- Luna Fiber Peanut Butter Strawberry
- Luna Fiber Vanilla Blueberry
- William H. Marquard, Bill Birchard, Wal-smart: what it really takes to profit in a Wal-mart world, McGraw-Hill Professional, 2007, pp 209-210.
- David A. Aaker, Brand Relevance: Making Competitors Irrelevant, John Wiley & Sons, 2011, p 247
- "I’ll have what she’s having", New York Times. February 28, 2008, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/fashion/28physical.html
- Megan Eve Ryan, "Liking Lunafest", Ann Arbor Chronicle, March 25, 2009. http://annarborchronicle.com/2009/03/25/column-liking-lunafest/
- Lauren Page, "LUNAFEST film festival coming to Columbia", The Missourian, March 27, 2012, http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2012/03/27/lunafest-film-festival-coming-blue-note/
- Our Story ‘’LUNA Bar Official Website’’.
- Sanders, Adrienne. New Move for ex-Clif Bar CEO San Francisco Business Times. September 28, 2007.
- Food Facts Clif Bar & Company.
- Paquette, Fanny. The LUNA Summit Mountain Biking Magazine. June 2007.
- Ryan, Megan Eve. Column: Liking LUNAFest Ann Arbor Chronicle. March 25, 2009.
- Green Eyes On: Luna Fest TreeHugger. September 15, 2008.
- Wierenga, Jeremiah Robert. Take Me to the Moon Boise Weekly. April 8, 2009.
- Causes LUNAFest Official Website.
- LUNA Chix: Our Story LUNA Chix Official Website.
- Get Outside and Play with Team Luna Chix FitSugar. April 14, 2009.
- Jhung, Lisa Fit for a Cause: Real Women Who Are Changing the World Fitness Magazine.
- "Self Magazine April 2007 issue" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-11-13.
- "US Weekly January 2009 issue" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-11-13.
- "Fitness Magazine March 2009 issue" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-11-13.
- Afternoon Snack: Yummy New Protein Bars from LUNA Glamour. March 19, 2010.
- Self Magazine May 2009 issue Self Magazine. Page 32.
- Favorite Energy Bar FitSugar. December 17, 2007.