List of international environmental agreements
||It has been suggested that this article be merged with Multilateral environmental agreement. (Discuss) Proposed since December 2014.|
|Part of a series on
Law and the Environment
|Pollution control law|
|Natural resources law|
This is a list of international environmental agreements.
Most of the following agreements are legally binding for countries that have formally ratified them. Some, such as the Kyoto Protocol, differentiate between types of countries and each nation's respective responsibilities under the agreement.
- 1 Alphabetical order
- 2 Topic order
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
- Aarhus Convention on Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-making and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters, Aarhus, 1998
- Alpine Convention together with its nine protocols
- ASEAN Agreement on Transboundary Haze Pollution
- Convention for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR), Canberra, 1980.
- Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty (ABM Treaty) (ABMT)
- Asia-Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate
- Barcelona Convention for Protection against Pollution in the Mediterranean Sea, 1976
- Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal, Basel, 1989.
- Biological Weapons Convention (Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production and Stockpiling of Bacteriological [Biological] and Toxin Weapons and on their Destruction) (BWC)
- Bonn Agreement (environment)
- Carpathian Convention Framework Convention on the Protection and Sustainable Development of the Carpathians
- Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety
- Chemical Weapons Convention
- China Australia Migratory Bird Agreement
- Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES)
- Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT)
- Convention for the Conservation of Antarctic Seals
- Convention for Co-operation in the Protection and Development of the Marine and Coastal Environment of the West and Central African Region, Abidjan, 1981.
- Convention for the Protection and Development of the Marine Environment of the Wider Caribbean Region, Cartagena de Indias, 1983.
- Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment and Coastal Area of the South-east Pacific, Lima, 1981.
- Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the North-east Atlantic (OSPAR Convention), Paris, 1992.
- Convention for the Protection of the Natural Resources and Environment of the South Pacific Region, Nouméa, 1986.
- Convention of the Protection, Management and Development of the Marine and Coastal Environment of the Eastern African Region, Nairobi, 1985.
- Convention on Assistance in the Case of a Nuclear Accident or Radiological Emergency (Assistance Convention), Vienna, 1986.
- Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), Nairobi, 1992.
- Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons
- Convention on Civil Liability for Damage Caused during Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road, Rail, and Inland Navigation Vessels (CRTD), Geneva, 1989.
- Convention on Cluster Munitions
- Convention on Early Notification of a Nuclear Accident (Notification Convention), Vienna, 1986.
- Convention on Fishing and Conservation of Living Resources of the High Seas
- Convention on Long-Range Transboundary Air Pollution
- Convention on Nuclear Safety, Vienna, 1994.
- Vienna Convention on Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage, Vienna, 1963.
- Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats
- Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals, (CMS), Bonn, 1979.
- Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna, (CITES), Washington DC, 1973.
- Convention on the Prevention of Marine Pollution by Dumping Wastes and Other Matter
- Convention on the Prohibition of Military or Any Other Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques
- Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes (ECE Water Convention), Helsinki, 1992.
- Convention on the Transboundary Effects of Industrial Accidents, Helsinki, 1992.
- Convention on Wetlands of International Importance Especially As Waterfowl Habitat (notably not a Multilateral Environmental Agreement)
- Convention to Combat Desertification (CCD), Paris, 1994.
- Convention on the Protection of the Black Sea against Pollution, Bucharest, 1992.
- Convention on the Protection of the Marine Environment of the Baltic Sea Area 1992 Helsinki Convention, Helsinki, 1992.
- Conventions within the UNEP Regional Seas Programme
- Convention on the ban of the Import into Africa and the Control of Transboundary Movements and Management of Hazardous Wastes within Africa, Bamako, 1991.
- Directive on the legal protection of biotechnological inventions
- Energy Community (Energy Community South East Europe Treaty) (ECSEE)
- Espoo Convention Convention on Environmental Impact Assessment in a Transboundary Context, Espoo, 1991.
- European Agreement Concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Inland Waterways (AND), Geneva, 2000.
- European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR), Geneva, 1957.
- FAO International Code of Conduct on the distribution and use of Pesticides, Rome, 1985.
- FAO International Undertaking on Plant Genetic Resources, Rome, 1983.
- Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), New York, 1992.
- Framework Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the Caspian Sea
- Geneva Protocol (Protocol for the Prohibition of the Use in War of Asphyxiating, Poisonous or other Gases, and of Bacteriological Methods of Warfare)
- International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships
- International Convention for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT), Rio de Janeiro, 1966.
- International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution of the Sea by Oil, London, 1954, 1962, 1969
- International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW), Washington, 1946.
- International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
- International Tropical Timber Agreement, 1983 (expired)
- International Tropical Timber Agreement, (ITTA), Geneva, 1994.
- Kuwait Regional Convention for Co-operation on the Protection of the Marine Environment from Pollution, Kuwait, 1978.
- Regional Convention for the Conservation of the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden Environment, Jeddah, 1982.
- Kyoto Protocol - greenhouse gas emission reductions
- Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918
- Minamata Convention on Mercury, 2013.
- Montreal Protocol on Substances That Deplete the Ozone Layer, Montreal, 1989.
- North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation
- Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty
- Putrajaya Declaration of Regional Cooperation for the Sustainable Development of the Seas of East Asia, Malaysia, 2003.
- Ramsar Convention Convention on Wetlands of International Importance, especially as Waterfowl Habitat, Ramsar, 1971.
- Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent Procedure for Certain Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade, Rotterdam, 1998.
- Stockholm Convention Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants Stockholm, 2001.
- Treaty Banning Nuclear Weapon Tests in the Atmosphere, in Outer Space, and Under Water
- Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty 1996
- United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
- Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer, Vienna, 1985, including the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer, Montreal 1987.
- Vienna Convention on Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage, Vienna, 1963.
- Convention to Ban the Importation into Forum Island Countries of Hazardous and Radioactive Wastes and to Control the Transboundary Movement and Management of Hazardous Wastes within the South Pacific Region, Waigani, 1995.
- Western Regional Climate Action Initiative
- Working Environment (Air Pollution, Noise and Vibration) Convention, 1977
- Arms control
- Environmental law
- Environmental organizations
- Environmental tariff
- International Network for Environmental Compliance and Enforcement
- List of climate change initiatives
- List of environmental laws by country
- List of environmental lawsuits
- List of supranational environmental agencies
- List of treaties
- Wildlife Enforcement Monitoring System