Little Bird (The Beach Boys song)
|Song by The Beach Boys from the album Friends|
|Released||April 8, 1968|
|Recorded||February 29, 1968,
Brian Wilson's home studio
|Genre||Jazz fusion, psychedelic pop|
|Writer||Dennis Wilson/Stephen Kalinich|
|Producer||The Beach Boys|
|Friends track listing|
"Little Bird" is a song written by Dennis Wilson, Stephen Kalinich, and Brian Wilson (uncredited) for the American rock band The Beach Boys. It was released on their 1968 album Friends as well as being released as the B-side of the "Friends" single. The single peaked at number 47 in the US and number 25 in the UK.
Brian once said; "Dennis gave us 'Little Bird' which blew my mind because it was so full of spiritualness. He was a late bloomer as a music maker. He lived hard and rough but his music was as sensitive as anyone's."[need quotation to verify]
Part of the chorus of "Little Bird" took a newly recorded section from the 1966 composition "Child Is Father of the Man", written by Brian Wilson for the aborted Smile album. Early mixes of "Little Bird" included the muted trumpet featured in the Brian Wilson composition.
- The Beach Boys
- Brian Wilson – Vocals (falsetto)
- Dennis Wilson – Lead vocals, drums
- Carl Wilson – Bridge vocals
- Other musicians
- Carol Kaye – bass
- of Montreal covered "Little Bird" in November, 2012.
- On their 2013 tour Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks performed the song live for the first time as a tribute to Dennis Wilson with Marks on lead vocals.