|Degrassi Junior High
Degrassi: The Next Generation character
|First appearance||The Big Dance (Degrassi Junior High episode 1.02)|
|Last appearance||White Wedding, Part 2 (Degrassi: The Next Generation episode 2.13)|
|Portrayed by||Anais Granofsky|
Lucy Fernandez is a fictional character in Degrassi Junior High; Degrassi High; the Degrassi High follow-up movie, School's Out; and Degrassi: The Next Generation. She is portrayed by the actress Anais Granofsky in all of the Degrassi series.
According to the show, Lucy was born in 1974. Lucy starts out as a rebel who seems to essentially live alone. She talks about how she does what she wants and her parents seem to be rarely around. Her parent's lack of presence is supposedly from being workaholics that are always out of town on business trips; Lucy seems to be a spoiled brat and her house is very nice. She seems to be more mature than other children when really she has just been left to deal with being a teenager essentially without parents which leads her to be sad inside, like any other child left alone would be. Throughout the multiple series she: shoplifts, gets sexually assaulted, gets in a relationship with two older guys, dumps her friends for a boyfriend, throws multiple parties, talks to a psychologist, and ends up going blind because of a car accident. Besides her hard life and lack of parental influence, Lucy graduated Valedictorian of Degrassi High.
On Degrassi Junior High
- Lucy was caught shoplifting a sweater with her friend Voula. Both of the girls got in trouble for this, although it was Lucy's idea in the first place, and she claimed that she did it all the time (but never got caught). Because of this, Voula's parents found Lucy to be an unfit friend for their daughter, and wouldn't allow the girls to be friends anymore.
- When her parents were out of town for the weekend, she often held parties, the most notable of which was when Shane McKay and Spike had sex (and Spike later learned she was pregnant and gave birth to a daughter, Emma). After Lucy's shoplifting incident, her parents became suspicious of her reckless behaviour. Thereafter, Lucy was more cautious with her parties and how wild they would get.
- She also dated Paul, a 11th grader from Borden High school, but broke up with him after he tried to go "too far". After this, she had an on-and-off relationship with Paul's friend, Clutch.
- Lucy's best friend was Lorraine Delacorte, better known as L.D. Lucy taught L.D. to be more feminine, since L.D. was a tomboy and would always play sports with the boys.
- A teacher at Degrassi became close to Lucy in one episode, and would try to touch her. Susie, a classmate of Lucy, was later victimized similarly. Susie and Lucy, with Wheels and L.D. as witnesses, reported the teacher to the authorities.
- In the 10th grade, she helped Joey, Wheels, and Snake make the music video for "Everybody Wants Something" for their band, Zit Remedy (later, The Zits). It then lead to the making of the video, "It Creeps!!", which she received an A+ for in class. She was there for her best friend L.D. when she was diagnosed with Leukemia.
- Lucy's Grade 11th year saw the beginning of Lucy's relationship with school president, Bronco. The couple dated for a year up until "School's Out". Lucy also ran to become Degrassi's school president in her senior year and won, although she didn't end up fulfilling it due to the closure of Degrassi in the following year.
- We find Lucy being Degrassi's Valedictorian in her grade level. Also during "School's Out", an intoxicated Wheels gets behind the wheel of a car with Lucy, crashes into another vehicle, and kills a child in the accident. Also, Lucy becomes temporarily blind.
Lucy substantially recovers from her injuries. Her eyesight is restored [whether in one or both eyes is unclear] and, having completed extensive physical therapy, she is able to walk well with the use of a cane. She completes an honours bachelor's degree, a master's degree and most of the work toward a Ph.D..
Degrassi: The Next Generation
She appeared in the series premiere of Degrassi: The Next Generation, in which she attends a joint reunion of her class and Joey's. A day before the reunion, Joey sells her a blue Volkswagen New Beetle in preparation for her relocation to New Mexico to run her company and complete her doctoral dissertation. She also returns in the second season episode, "White Wedding" as one of Spike's bridesmaids for her wedding to their former classmate Archie "Snake" Simpson.