Maria Minerva (2012)
|Birth name||Maria Juur|
15 March 1988 |
|Genres||lo-fi music, chillwave, electronica, house music, nu-disco, dub, experimental/avant-garde, hypnagogic pop|
|Occupations||producer, songwriter, singer, DJ|
|Labels||Not Not Fun, 100% Silk|
Maria Juur (born 15 March 1988), better known by her stage name Maria Minerva is an Estonian musician. She is releasing music on the Los Angeles independent label Not Not Fun and its dance-oriented sub-label 100% Silk. She is known for her eclectic style and experimental music videos. She has cited Brian Eno, Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire and Moodymann as her influences. Her father is a known Estonian humorist, TV personality and music writer Mart Juur.
Before moving to London, Maria was studying at the Estonian Academy of Arts in Tallinn. She holds a BA in Art History and an MA in Aural and Visual Cultures from Goldsmiths, University of London. Maria has also conducted an internship at the The Wire Magazine and published art and music criticism in Estonia.
Maria's releases have received favorable reviews from websites such as Pitchfork Media and The Quietus. One of Maria Minerva's supporters has been the influential music critic Simon Reynolds. Maria's track "A Little Lonely" made it to The Guardian's top 40 singles of 2011. She was hailed as one of the singers to watch by the French Vogue.
- Histrionic LP (Not Not Fun, 2014)
- Bless EP (100% Silk, 2013)
- The Integration LP with LA Vampires (Not Not Fun, 2012)
- Will Happiness Find Me? CD/LP (Not Not Fun, 2012)
- Sacred and Profane Love EP (100% Silk, 2011)
- Cabaret Cixous CD/LP (Not Not Fun, 2011)
- Noble Savage 12" EP (100% Silk, 2011)
- Tallinn At Dawn CS (Not Not Fun, 2011)
- Maria Minerva "Sacred And Profane Love" review http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16079-maria-minerva-sacred-profane-love-ep/
- Maria Minerva "Cabaret Cixous" review http://thequietus.com/articles/06754-maria-minerva-cabaret-cixous-album-review
- S. Reynolds "Breaking Through The Synth Barrier" http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/arts/music/female-artists-with-a-penchant-for-synth-sounds.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
- The best songs of 2011 http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/dec/19/best-songs-2011